Windows 10: Date Modified in File Explorer

Discus and support Date Modified in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Recently I discovered that some of the files in a folder have missing date modified information in the date modified column. Please see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by idiotmichael, May 16, 2020.

1. Date Modified in File Explorer

Hi,

Recently I discovered that some of the files in a folder have missing date modified information in the date modified column.

Please see the below screenshots describing the exact problem.

Date Modified in File Explorer 18c818d4-23df-4c4c-83e7-3b846594ade4?upload=true.png

When I select 'Properties' of a file that does not have date modified information, I am aware that in the 'Created' and 'Modified' items it says 00:00 without a date.

Date Modified in File Explorer 11965931-d794-4bbe-88f2-62f9dfaa3b5e?upload=true.png

I have run chkdsk and no avail. Please advise what I can do to bring the date modified back in the files.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

:)

idiotmichael, May 16, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, May 16, 2020
  3. BillMNYC Win User
    Windows Explorer is slow to update "date modified" and hampers searching for most recently updated files

Windows Explorer doesn't seem to be keeping up with "date modified". E.g. I modify a file in Word then save it to my local drive. Then I open Windows Explorer and sort by Date Modified. The file I just saved should be displayed at the top of the file
    list, but it doesn't. I have to also add that it "sometimes" works, but most of the time, it doesn't. It seems like it takes several minutes for the file system to update to sort by Date Modified. Any suggestions?

BillMNYC, May 16, 2020
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

Date Modified in File Explorer

Illogical date modified updating

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the modified date is just as important as the created date within the metadata of a given file. We will look into this for you.
    However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system?
    2. Was there any major change or an update on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Is the issue only with the pictures taken from the camera or the other pictures and files within the system as well?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Method 1: Enable the Date Modified Column in the File Explorer.

To enable the Date modified column within the particular folder, please follow the steps below.

1. Open the Folder in which you wish to see the Date modified column.
    2. Right-click on the
      Header for Name, date, type etc. This will give you a list of columns that can be displayed.
    3. Select the option Date modified, clearing the tick removes that column.
    4. Modify a file and check if it is being reflected in the Date modified column.

If the issue still persists, where you aren’t able to see the value in the Date modified column even after making the changes to the particular file, please follow ‘Method 2’.

Method 2: Create a new user account.

This issue could be due to profile corruption. Hence to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account
    ’ and check if the issue persists.

Note:
    You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Date Modified in File Explorer

1. Date Modified in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Date Modified File

2. File's 'date modified' is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File's 'date modified' is missing: I have a file that isn't showing the date modified on file explorer. When checking it's properties, the modified date only shows: 12:00:00 AM, no date. It has a creation date, and doesn't have previous versions to restore.How can I fix this to show the correct modified date?...
  3. File's 'date modified' is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File's 'date modified' is missing: I have a file that isn't showing the date modified on file explorer. When checking it's properties, the modified date only shows: 12:00:00 AM, no date. It has a creation date, and doesn't have previous versions to restore.How can I fix this to show the correct modified date?...
  4. [WIN 11] File Explorer "Sort by Date Modified" Error

[WIN 11] File Explorer "Sort by Date Modified" Error: It doesn't happen for every folder, just certain ones, but I've noticed that File Explorer's sort-by-date-modified is working incorrectly, or there's a hidden sorting that also sorts the files by type as well, even though I don't have it chosen. I have 4 screenshots of...
  5. when saving a file, date and time in file explorer "date modified" don't update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when saving a file, date and time in file explorer "date modified" don't update: when saving a file, date and time in file explorer "date modified" don't update. When i highlight the updated file and click properties, the correct "modified" date and time are shown, and in the setting section, everything as set as advised in previous responses to this...
  6. when saving a file, date and time in file explorer "date modified" don't update

when saving a file, date and time in file explorer "date modified" don't update: when saving a file, date and time in file explorer "date modified" don't update. When i highlight the updated file and click properties, the correct "modified" date and time are shown, and in the setting section, everything as set as advised in previous responses to this...
  7. Bug - File Explorer - Date Created vs Date Modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug - File Explorer - Date Created vs Date Modified: I was going through some files looking for the date I created / made / saved them first and noticed this problem.When I list Date Created and Date Modified in File Explorer, the Date Modified is either equal to possible or earlier than not possible the Date Created. I do not...
  8. Date modified with seconds in windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Date modified with seconds in windows file explorer: Hi! For my studies I need the exact time including the seconds from many many pictures that we made. Does anyone know how I can easily make them show in the overview of the files in windows file explorer? Right now I only see this: [img] I know that I can also access it...
  9. Sorting Files by "Date" or "Date Modified" in Windows 10 Explorer Not Working Properly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting Files by "Date" or "Date Modified" in Windows 10 Explorer Not Working Properly.: The sorting method is set to 'Date' under the 'Sort By' Option. I have tried different options such as sorting by "Date created", 'Date Modified', 'Date Received', etc. I want the latest file to show up at the top. submitted by /u/SnooLobsters7431 [link] [comments]...
  10. File explorer sort reverts to "date modified"

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer sort reverts to "date modified": Every disk and/ or folder when I tick sort by name-ascending the damn thing reverts to date modified-descending if I leave said disk or folder and return. I tried "Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat" and "Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default.bat"...