Windows 10: Date Saved to Folder Windows 10 vs. Original Creation Date on Source System

Discus and support Date Saved to Folder Windows 10 vs. Original Creation Date on Source System in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 (2004), but I'm trying to figure out something. I have a download folder with many files in it (from all the way back to 2002). A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/earthscribe, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Date Saved to Folder Windows 10 vs. Original Creation Date on Source System

I'm using Windows 10 (2004), but I'm trying to figure out something. I have a download folder with many files in it (from all the way back to 2002). A few versions back of Windows 10 when I would download something, the date of when the file was saved to that folder would be listed in a column and I could sort by it. Now though, the date of the file is showing up in explorer when it was actually created/compiled on the original system (whether sorted asc or desc), and not when it was saved to my download folder.

So now I have to do detective work to try and figure out the original file date instead of when it was originally downloaded. I've tried sorting by date, date modified, date created, etc and none of them align with the date saved to the folder. This was not the case in previous versions of Windows and probably stopped working I want to say around 1903 or 1909 but was hoping it was a bug that would be fixed. It doesn't appear to be the case. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

submitted by /u/earthscribe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/earthscribe, Jun 27, 2020

2. Microsoft OneDrive Changing The 'Original Creation Date' On Folders?

Please see this

Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in OneDrive
    on this link
    Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in OneDrive - Office Support
    and the general link
    Back up your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders with OneDrive - Office Support

I appreciate it is One Drive on Microsoft Office but the principle applies to One Drive itself

If OneDrive backup is on the each time a folder is backed up to OneDrive, the creation date is the date of the backup to the Cloud

This happens of course, even if you have not changed edited or deleted or modified anything

Numerous requests have been made to Microsoft for this to be changed, but as far as I know it has not been and Microsoft have I think said it is unlikely it will

I could provide you with numerous examples but I doubt it would help you
    Here are a few
    Keeping Original Folder Creation Date – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

Keeping original creation/modification dates when uploadig – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

The link below may help you.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-7a7ea2bde4d0
    understand what I mean, but you would NOT I presume wish to follow that - as MOVE of course is not what you want.

Cheers I hope it helps a little
    Please stay safe yourself in the crisis
    Thanks for your best wishes and as it does really matter to you PLEASE do not hesitate to ask for further details if you need them.

Macboatmaster, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Copied folders - sort by original date

Is the Macrium image still available? Did you use Macrium to mount the image then copy the data? If so, you could do it again, but use ROBOCOPY instead to copy files and folders while preserving the original date and time.

robocopy source target /DCOPY:T

Ztruker, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Motim Win User

Date Saved to Folder Windows 10 vs. Original Creation Date on Source System

Files Creation Date

Helllo,
    I have several folders with important documents, letters, notes etc. To keep then safe I just copied the several folders to another location (another disc) in the computer. Noticed that all files in the new location got current date as creation date, not as the originals.
    Tried some backup programs, but when they backup / copy the source folders / files to the target location, files creation date is changes to current date.
    Is it possible to do it keeping the original creation date of the files.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Winver = 1809 17763.864

Motim, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Date Saved to Folder Windows 10 vs. Original Creation Date on Source System

1. Date Saved to Folder Windows 10 vs. Original Creation Date on Source System - Similar Threads - Date Saved Folder

2. Date saved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Date saved: I am trying to move some of my old files to a more recent drive. I cannot find any way to save the dates of the old files in the more recent drive. So far, the only way I can save the old dates is to use Microsoft 8.1. Help!...
  3. 2022 Properties How to Save original creation date when copying or moving folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2022 Properties How to Save original creation date when copying or moving folders: How do you save the original creation date when copying or moving folders I Have tried using usb moving from iPad to laptop and no luck with properties saving original date created anywhere. I’ve read so many stories on Apple/Microsoft addressing this same issue, Why? Why is...
  4. 2022 Properties How to Save original creation date when copying or moving folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2022 Properties How to Save original creation date when copying or moving folders: How do you save the original creation date when copying or moving folders I Have tried using usb moving from iPad to laptop and no luck with properties saving original date created anywhere. I’ve read so many stories on Apple/Microsoft addressing this same issue, Why? Why is...
  5. 2022 Properties Save original creation date when copying or moving folders

2022 Properties Save original creation date when copying or moving folders: How do you save the original creation date when copying or moving folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2022-properties-save-original-creation-date-when/398c23a6-bc92-4ed7-b9e9-f5d657472a1e
  6. 2022 Properties Save original creation date when copying or moving folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2022 Properties Save original creation date when copying or moving folders: How do you save the original creation date when copying or moving folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2022-properties-save-original-creation-date-when/398c23a6-bc92-4ed7-b9e9-f5d657472a1e
  7. Creation date of a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creation date of a file: I rename in PowerShell an existing file from Syslog.log to SyslogBack.log. The creation date of SyslogBack.log is inherited from Syslog.log which is OK.Now I create a new Syslog.log using the PowerShell cmdlet Add-content.It turns out that Windows did not forget about the...
  8. Windows Live emails saved in folder on desktop not showing the original message date

Windows Live emails saved in folder on desktop not showing the original message date: I have been dragging WLM messages into various folders on my desktop and I could view them by their correct creation date on my now defunct Win 10 laptop. I have a new laptop and I used 'File History' to restore the same desktop folders to the desktop on the new laptop,...
  9. Microsoft OneDrive Changing The 'Original Creation Date' On Folders?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Microsoft OneDrive Changing The 'Original Creation Date' On Folders?: Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I hope everyone is staying safe and well from this coronavirus mess I've been a longtime Microsoft OneDrive user and paying customer going all the wayback to the original days of SkyDrive I have had a huge issue and problem with...
  10. Copied folders - sort by original date

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copied folders - sort by original date: I've got a bunch of folders with photos that I've copied back to a local drive from a Macrium image. The problem I have is that every folder now has a created date of March 07 2020 and I cannot sort them by their original creation date. Is there any way to sort the folders by...