Windows 10: Dates on old photos randomly got changed?

Discus and support Dates on old photos randomly got changed? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For reference, my computer uses Windows 10, but I have an iPhone. Yesterday I was trying to transfer a few recent photos from my phone to my computer -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by maxbro999, Feb 16, 2021.

1. maxbro999 Win User

Dates on old photos randomly got changed?

For reference, my computer uses Windows 10, but I have an iPhone. Yesterday I was trying to transfer a few recent photos from my phone to my computer - I've done this a million times, by the way, so it should've worked the same. The recent photos got transferred no problem, but I noticed a bunch of photos from ~2013/2014 suddenly either had the wrong dates on them or no dates at all, and in my file explorer, they had all been lumped into one big folder instead of the monthly folders I'd had them sorted in. There were also new copies of some other folders/photos... I'm just really confused and wondering whether there's an easy way to reverse this, or whether I'll have to manually change the dates on each photo that got changed. I already know how to change the dates, by the way; I'm just hoping I won't have to do it on each individual photo, because there are a lot.

And also: is there a way to prevent this from happening again? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

:)

maxbro999, Feb 16, 2021

2. Photos randomly changes dates of my pictures

Hi, I have noticed this happening several times now. I am currently sorting my photos and doing albums with Photos. However, it turns out that Photos sometimes changes the dates on some of the photos, so that afterwards, they appear in a messed up order
    in the Photos gallery.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems that this happens most of the time when adding a pic to "my favorites". It might also happen totally randomly, just when accessing the file.

I would be grateful if anyone has a solution to solve this issue, or to prevent Photos from modifying metadata.

Please, do not suggest changing the dates one by one; we are talking thousands of pictures.

With such an issue, the app is basically useless and dangerous as it can totally kill your gallery if it contains lots of pictures.

Thanks and have a great day!

MonsterMunsh, Feb 16, 2021
  3. JOEFYIE Win User
    Photo Date

I had an old digital camera which defaulted my photos to 2099. Now, they appear at the top of my list. Is there a way to change the date on a group of such photos?

JOEFYIE, Feb 16, 2021
  4. Rohit_R Win User

Can't change photo date

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

What is the file extension for the photos which are facing the issue?

It is possible that the Windows photos app has gone corrupted due to the involvement of third party websites/applications.

You can try to run app troubleshooter and check if that fixes the issue.

Refer to
    fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

Alternatively, you can try the following steps to change the date of the photos:

1. Select the file from the file explorer.
    2. Right click on it and click on Properties.
    3. In the image properties, click on the Details tab.
    4. Look for the section Origin>Date taken and click on the mentioned date.
    5. Edit the date accordingly and click on Apply and OK.
    Get back to us with the required detail to help you further.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Dates on old photos randomly got changed? - Similar Threads - Dates old photos

2. How to change the date taken date of a folder of old scanned photos. WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change the date taken date of a folder of old scanned photos. WIndows 10: In searching for this topic, I found a reference to select all then click Edit>.However, edit only works on one file at a time. It is grayed out when multiple files are selected.Is there a solution?I'm running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro.Thanks!...
  3. How to change the date taken date of a folder of old scanned photos. WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the date taken date of a folder of old scanned photos. WIndows 10: In searching for this topic, I found a reference to select all then click Edit>.However, edit only works on one file at a time. It is grayed out when multiple files are selected.Is there a solution?I'm running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro.Thanks!...
  4. How to change the date taken date of a folder of old scanned photos. WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...: I noticed that the Microsoft Photo app is changing the "Data Taken" field if the date is old. I have scanned pictures from my parents and grandparents and used the file properties/details tab to set the Date Taken field. Some of these pictures are from the 1910 to 1920 range....
  6. Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...

Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...: I noticed that the Microsoft Photo app is changing the "Data Taken" field if the date is old. I have scanned pictures from my parents and grandparents and used the file properties/details tab to set the Date Taken field. Some of these pictures are from the 1910 to 1920 range....
  7. Changing dates on photos with wrong dates in Windows 10

Changing dates on photos with wrong dates in Windows 10: I cannot get Windows 10 to let me change the dates on photos that are wrong. I cannot get Photo Gallery or Windows Essentials 2012. I cannot see where I can open a dialoque box that allows me to open up a box for date taken and not date created....
  8. Photos randomly changes dates of my pictures

Photos randomly changes dates of my pictures: Hi, I have noticed this happening several times now. I am currently sorting my photos and doing albums with Photos. However, it turns out that Photos sometimes changes the dates on some of the photos, so that afterwards, they appear in a messed up order in the Photos gallery....
  9. Windows randome file date changes

Windows randome file date changes: For some reason, my windows file system is changing the dates of my files for no reason. I'll put them in the folder and order them with the date or name tab and close the folder. when i come back to it, all the files have different dates ranging up to 2009! I don't know what...
  10. Can't change photo date

Can't change photo date: Why can't I change the data on some (most) of my photos, yet on some (a few) I can. Procedure is the same; select a photo's tick box in collection view, right click menu but then Change date is greyed out. Why? I can't see anything consistent about which photos will and...