Windows 10: DaVinci Resolve 12 Free Version - Hints; Tips; Questions; Answers

Discus and support DaVinci Resolve 12 Free Version - Hints; Tips; Questions; Answers in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; DaVinci Resolve is a video editing program by BlackMagic Design and is as near to professional as a free program can get; of course, this is my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Wynona, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Wynona Win User

DaVinci Resolve 12 Free Version - Hints; Tips; Questions; Answers

DaVinci Resolve is a video editing program by BlackMagic Design and is as near to professional as a free program can get; of course, this is my opinion. Thanks to Kari for discovering this one.

Hopefully, some of my questions will be answered by those who know more about editing videos than I do. What I know can be put into a thimble with half of the space left over.

My first question is:

While reading the Beta Reference Manual (1096 pages), I find that one of my first things to do is to set my preferences; however, the manual doesn't tell me where I should do that! "The Preferences Window lets you set up the overall environment . . ." but then doesn't show where the Preferences Window is.

I have DaVinchi Resolve open on my other monitor and am trying to follow along with the manual.

:)

Wynona, Oct 25, 2015

2. How can I get HEVC to play on Windows 10

Thanks Dave.

I just found out from the Davinci Resolve Forum (editing software I'm using) that the free version of Davinci does not support H.265, only the $1000 version. I'll check into converting the files to H.264. Thanks again for your help!

GoPro Youthman, Oct 25, 2015
  3. MFTEnumEx could not be located when starting DaVinci Resolve program

When i start DaVinci Resolve software i have the error :

The procedure entry point MFTEnumEx could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\DaVinci Resolve\Resolve.exe.

How can i solve this problem ?

Paul Dubearnes, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

The Preferences itself is quite simple and you should only change (if needed) the default RAM assigned to DaVinci Resolve from the System tab (see screenshot), and then from Media Storage tab to change the scratch location, where your work will be saved. That's it.

DaVinci Resolve 12 Free  Version - Hints; Tips; Questions; Answers [​IMG]

5. Wynona Win User
    Mine doesn't look like that when I create a test project, Karil. It looks like this:

DaVinci Resolve 12 Free  Version - Hints; Tips; Questions; Answers [​IMG]

What did I do wrong?

Wynona, Oct 26, 2015
  6. Wynona Win User
    Well, shoot! I didn't click on "DaVinci Resolve"! Duhhh!

Thanks, Kari, you got me started. BTW, the 'structions didn't tell me to do that. *Sad

Wynona, Oct 26, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    I've been trying without success to figure out how to print the manual on Resolve so that I can read it. So far, no luck.

What I've tried:

Export from PDF to Word . . . BlackMagic has denied access.
    Using Foxit PhantomPDF, tried to edit the font . . . Nope, won't do it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Wynona, Oct 26, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

Wynona, Oct 26, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    Is this sort of like Camtasia?

10. Gary Win User
    If you are using Firefox you can download it save it using PhatomPDF.

11. Gary Win User
    Well thanks, I tried this and it takes way to long to load and I will not install Quicktime on my machine. From what I can see it does what Camtasia does but it is free where Cantasia is not.

12. Wynona Win User
    Wynona, Oct 26, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

QuickTime is the only con I find in using DaVinci Resolve 12. It is needed by the video editor to handle audio and media files, using Resolve 12 means you have to install QuickTime. Other than that Resolve 12 is the most comprehensive, complete free solution for video editing I have seen.

Free download: Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

And a half an hour crash course:

[youtube]eikf0VGJYTc[/youtube]

14. Wynona Win User
    Thanks for the crash course, Kari! I've watched it before, but it never hurts to refresh myself. The further I get into the program, the more I can understand what the narrator is talking about.

If I had to nit pick, yes, the fact that it takes a long time to load would be one. And no, I don't appreciate QuickTime either, especially since the version's older'n dirt. *Smile My third nit would be that I can't import the Reference Manual from PDF to Word; reasoning is that the font used is way too small and dim for my eyes to handle. So, I guess this would be only half a nit. *Smile

The Pros? Well, as you said, "DaVinci Resolve is the most comprehensive, complete free solution for video editing I have seen." Free is the real pro here! No monetary output at all, and it's about as current as you can get too. The manual was finalized in September 2015.

So it takes awhile to load, but once loaded, the program is about as snappy as anything on the market that you'd have to pay big bucks for. And yeah, it looks like even Apple has abandoned QuickTime, but it's needed for the program, so I loaded it and it's not causing any problems with my machine.

Free is good!

Wynona, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DaVinci Resolve 12 Free Version - Hints; Tips; Questions; Answers - Similar Threads - DaVinci Resolve Free

2. Answer the question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer the question: Is there for once someone from Microsoft who can give a straight answer:People have asked: What is aggregatorhost.exe and what does it do ?What we see is a lot of **** answers which is useless.So!! What is it and what does it do ?...
  3. Unsupported GPU Processing Mode in DaVinci Resolve

in Windows 10 News
    Unsupported GPU Processing Mode in DaVinci Resolve: [ATTACH]If DaVinci Resolve displays the Unsupported GPU processing Mode error message, then it could be because of an incorrect response from the Graphics Driver, where the Graphics Driver restricts the app from accessing the CUDA functionality. The error message says:...
  4. Davinci Resolve 17.4.4

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Davinci Resolve 17.4.4: I Tried to delete it from the folder and download it again but the next time i tried with the installer it says installed even if it is not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/davinci-resolve-1744/29335e58-5859-4a33-b9bf-f1b4cf621513
  5. Davinci Resolve 17.4.4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Davinci Resolve 17.4.4: I Tried to delete it from the folder and download it again but the next time i tried with the installer it says installed even if it is not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/davinci-resolve-1744/29335e58-5859-4a33-b9bf-f1b4cf621513
  6. Davinci Resolve 17.4.4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. DaVinci Resolve GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DaVinci Resolve GPU: So, I downloaded DaVinci Resolve for my videos so I could edit them, but it said that I needed a driver that supports DaVinci, Is there a Driver for my computer that will support DaVinci? If So How will I download it? My computer's current driver is Intel R HD Graphics. My...
  8. to install any software like DaVinci Resolve Free getting in progress other installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    to install any software like DaVinci Resolve Free getting in progress other installation: I have a problem with UPDATEs also When I tried to install any software like DaVinci Resolve Free getting in progress other installation getting [ATTACH]...
  9. Davinci Resolve and H.265 videos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Davinci Resolve and H.265 videos: I have been using the free version of Davinci Resolve 16 to edit videos from my GoPro Hero 7 Black camera on a PC that is about 5 years old. I had installed the HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store and was able to process H.265 video with no problems. The system was...
  10. Advanced SystemCare 12 Free question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced SystemCare 12 Free question: Hi all. I use to use CCleaner to help remove junk etc from my windows 7/8.1. I came across a programme called iobit Advanced SystemCare 12 Free, has any one used this before? Just want to know if using these types of software could do more harm than good? Any one use...