Windows 10: DDR4 RAM not working on highest possible speed?

Discus and support DDR4 RAM not working on highest possible speed? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got a new motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd, my ram is DDR4 2133mhz it's a single 8gb stick, my mobo is ga-z170-gaming k3, I expeted speccy and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Relax, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Relax Win User

DDR4 RAM not working on highest possible speed?

I just got a new motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd, my ram is DDR4 2133mhz it's a single 8gb stick, my mobo is ga-z170-gaming k3, I expeted speccy and cpu-z to show 2133mhz but they show it's working @1066Mhz altho in bios it says it's clocked at 2133mhz, is it supposed to be like that or is something setup wrong?

:)

Relax, Oct 11, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

I have just bought a new computer with i7 - 5930k. I just wanted to know what is stable overclock for my i7 processor.

The GTX 980ti uses DDR5. There is no DDR5 system RAM, which is what I was inquiring about.

DDR4 is the limit with system RAM.

- I asked because I thought I had read that you could use either DDR4 or DDR3 with Skylake cpu's,

but after checking again I have found that while this may be possible, it can be detrimental to the cpu.

It may have been Haswell-e that could use either DDR3 or DDR4 ?

BossDweeb, Oct 11, 2016
  3. DDR4 RAM not being recognized by Windows 10, but recognized in BIOS

All 4 sticks are of the same brand and speed. The BIOS is recognizing that I have 4 sticks installed in A1, B1, C1 & D1. Now I did go back and press harder and make sure each stick was properly seated. When I check the OS, it now says I have 24 GB of RAM
    installed and 23.1 unusable. If I go to the task manager, under performance it is showing on 3 DIMM slots being used even though the BIOS shows I have 4 slots in use. I triple checked the sticks again and they are seated properly. Not sure what else to try.

Adrian B78, Oct 11, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Yes....by default, the RAM is/should be at 1333mhz. You then have to go into the BIOS and change it (frequency) to 2133mhz or use the XMP setting.

Plankton, Oct 11, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    Some utilities report the true RAM frequency. DDR transfers data on both the up and down ticks of the clock (hence "double data rate").

You're getting the RAM frequency that you intended.

bobkn, Oct 11, 2016
  6. Relax Win User
    I thought you're doubling only when it's 2 sticks working in dual channel, but I only have 1 stick that's 8GBs , are u sure it's working at 2133mhz actually?

Relax, Oct 11, 2016
  7. Plankton Win User
    Absolutely correct....forgot to point that out. Thanks bobkn.

Yes it is...as bobkn pointed out; 2 x 1066 = 2133

Plankton, Oct 11, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

The reported frequency is the same whether you're running single, dual, triple, or quad channel.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DDR4 RAM not working on highest possible speed? - Similar Threads - DDR4 RAM working

2. Will a 4g to 16g ram DDR4 swap work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will a 4g to 16g ram DDR4 swap work: I would like to swap my 4g DDR4 with a Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, my laptop's over all power is ran off AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.60 GH. Would the swap work or would it not be compatible with my processing power and kill my laptop....
  3. Will a 4g to 16g ram DDR4 swap work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will a 4g to 16g ram DDR4 swap work: I would like to swap my 4g DDR4 with a Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, my laptop's over all power is ran off AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.60 GH. Would the swap work or would it not be compatible with my processing power and kill my laptop....
  4. Question: Would it be wise to upgrade from 4 GB DDR4 RAM to 8 GB DDR4 if not DDR5 RAM with...

Question: Would it be wise to upgrade from 4 GB DDR4 RAM to 8 GB DDR4 if not DDR5 RAM with...: In 30 months, I'm sure I can find more Windows PCs with 8 GB of DDR4 if not DDR5 RAM not over $369.99 plus a 6% sales tax, but with free shipping on sites and apps like Amazon. Yes, I have a 128 GB SSD. 30 has become my truly favorite number recently for many reasons which...
  5. Question: Would it be wise to upgrade from 4 GB DDR4 RAM to 8 GB DDR4 if not DDR5 RAM with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question: Would it be wise to upgrade from 4 GB DDR4 RAM to 8 GB DDR4 if not DDR5 RAM with...: In 30 months, I'm sure I can find more Windows PCs with 8 GB of DDR4 if not DDR5 RAM not over $369.99 plus a 6% sales tax, but with free shipping on sites and apps like Amazon. Yes, I have a 128 GB SSD. 30 has become my truly favorite number recently for many reasons which...
  6. B660M-A WiFi DDR4 incredibly Slow Wi-fi speeds

B660M-A WiFi DDR4 incredibly Slow Wi-fi speeds: Recently got round to upgrading my PC with a i5-12600k and the B660M-A board with Wi-Fi.All is good performance wise especially with games however the wi-fi is just shocking. Installed all the drivers and utilities.Before I would easily reach 5MB/s on the old PC but now with...
  7. Which Desktop PC has the highest amount of RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which Desktop PC has the highest amount of RAM?: I'm shopping for a new Desktop PC to replace my 2018 HP 12 GB RAM and want to get whichever one has the highest amount of RAM. But since I'm not a pro, I'd like input from you, the experts. I'm looking for one that's Windows 11 ready, has a disc drive. Monitor and keyboard...
  8. Which Desktop PC has the highest amount of RAM?

Which Desktop PC has the highest amount of RAM?: I'm shopping for a new Desktop PC to replace my 2018 HP 12 GB RAM and want to get whichever one has the highest amount of RAM. But since I'm not a pro, I'd like input from you, the experts. I'm looking for one that's Windows 11 ready, has a disc drive. Monitor and keyboard...
  9. Ram Speeds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ram Speeds: I'm looking to upgrade my laptop ram, and while figuring out what frequency ram I need, I'm getting 2 different ram speeds from CMD and Task Manager. Which is the right ram speed? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] My laptop is ASUS FX505-DY, with 8gb ram...
  10. Command to display RAM Special Presence Detect SPD and RAM type (DDR4)

Command to display RAM Special Presence Detect SPD and RAM type (DDR4): When using Speecy, HWinfo, CPU-Z, etc. they display Special Presence Detect (SPD) data and RAM type (DDR4 versus DDR3) What commands are available that can display SPD data without using third party software? Frequency, CAS #latency, RAS# to CAS#, RAS# Precharge, tRAS,...