Windows 10: Deactivate and Transfer Windows Upgrade to Wilndows Pro Product Key

Discus and support Deactivate and Transfer Windows Upgrade to Wilndows Pro Product Key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a Product Key to upgrade a laptop from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by southwestcoyote, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Deactivate and Transfer Windows Upgrade to Wilndows Pro Product Key

I purchased a Product Key to upgrade a laptop from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I would like to deactivate the Windows 10 Pro product key on the old laptop and activate it on a new laptop.

Can this be accomplished and how can I do it?

:)

southwestcoyote, Dec 5, 2019

2. Transfer of product key

Hello.

Whoever told you that you need to "deactivate" is wrong. Go here for actual steps on transfering the product key over:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

Simply put, you just need to transfer the license over. you do not need to deactivate first.

For more info, i suggest calling MS support about activation issues.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 5, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10  

Deactivating key does not deactivate Windows.

According to EULA, if you have an oem key, that cannot be transferred to new pc.

If key is retail, you either sell pc with windows and key, or you keep key and wipe windows.

cereberus, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Deactivate and Transfer Windows Upgrade to Wilndows Pro Product Key

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10  

If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.

So your saying that I would need to uninstall (or deactivate) windows 10 first, then I could use the product key on a new computer? Would I have to uninstall/deactivate windows 8.1 as well?

So then if I installed windows 10 using the media creation tool (Download Windows 10) onto my new computer and put in the retail windows 8.1 product key, it would work? This seems to indicate that it would:

But how does windows know if windows has been unistalled/deactivated?

They dont half make it complicated do they? Why isnt there an option to deactivate windows in the options? Or why dont they tie your product key to your email address or something...

aflumbahgee, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Deactivate and Transfer Windows Upgrade to Wilndows Pro Product Key

1. Deactivate and Transfer Windows Upgrade to Wilndows Pro Product Key - Similar Threads - Deactivate Transfer Upgrade

2. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  3. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  4. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  5. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  6. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Deactivate product key

Deactivate product key: Hi, Can anyone guide me on how i can deactivate the key product and move the product key on a new device? The existing win 10 version is an upgrade from win 7 premium. If that helps? TIA...
  8. Forgot to deactivate old computer's product key before transferring the product key to...

Forgot to deactivate old computer's product key before transferring the product key to...: Actually I changed my laptop and forgot to deactivate old computer's product key before transferring the product key to my new computer. However, immediate after installing on new device I deactivated it from the old device. at the moment no product ID is activated on my...
  9. Regarding Transfer of Upgrade Product Key

Regarding Transfer of Upgrade Product Key: Backstory: I purchased a laptop that came with an OEM version of Windows 10 Home I purchased a retail Windows 10 Pro product key and upgraded the laptop. Question: I have purchased a new laptop with an OEM version of Windows 10 home installed I would like to transfer...
  10. Product Key Deactivation

Product Key Deactivation: Hi all, I bought Windows 10 Home Edition when I built my PC a couple of years ago and I am now going to be selling it to build a new one. I will be keeping my SSD which Windows and other programs are currently installed on, putting in a new one and installing Windows on...