Windows 10: Deactivated Location Service to reactivate

Discus and support Deactivated Location Service to reactivate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, In my HP notebook it is noticed that 'Location' in the settings under Privacy of the device is remaining OFF since sometime past and could not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Subir Nag, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Subir Nag Win User

Deactivated Location Service to reactivate

Hi, In my HP notebook it is noticed that 'Location' in the settings under Privacy of the device is remaining OFF since sometime past and could not activate it again to use Cortana utility and other GPS facilities. Under Time & Language of the settings the language has already been installed as US (English) but Location has remained deactivated. Kindly advise to resolve the issue

:)

Subir Nag, Apr 18, 2016
  2. Åke_M Win User

Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 upgrade - no system restore and no GPEDIT.MSC

A tip when you have dozens of entries deactivated in clean boot, and want to find the offender quickly:

• Reactivate half of the entries
    • If the issue occurrs, deactivate half of what you reactivated
    • If the issue doesn't occur, activate half of what you left deactivated
    • Keep splitting these groups in half until you've zeroed in on the culprit
    This is much quicker than testing the entries one by one.

For the current issue, you may be able to find an event log entry for the program or service that causes the issue: Windows key+x->Event log; see under Windows-logs\Applications and .\System.

/Åke

Åke_M, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Unable to open microsoft calculator app

I've been deactivating services that I thought to be useless for me, willing to increase my pc's performance. However I may have deactivated a service needed to run the microsoft calculator app. I went to the Windows Store and tried to install the app
    again, but it failed to do so, popping an error message with code 0x8004E10E. I tried using Windows troubleshooter and DISM.exe, both times without success. Which service do I need to reactivate so I can use the calculator again?

LeonardoOsternack, Apr 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this from Cliff S of this forum a long time back may help, which is amongst my saved solutions:

Thanks to some useful info provided by Forum user Cliff S, my PC is now fixed!

The issue was linked to location services, which need to be set to "on" in the Action Centre. When I attempted to do this, I found the option was greyed out, which lead to looking at which services were currently running (via "Services.msc"). It transpired that "Geolocation service" was disabled, and I was unable to restart it. A bit of Googling took me to an MS support site, which said this was a known issue with Win 10:

"Geolocation

After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, after a re-boot, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened MS Config, and made sure it was set to run at startup, re-booted again, and once Win 10 had started up, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana.

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  5. Subir Nag Win User
    Many thanks Dalchina for your valued reply, but I'm bit scared about tinkering with the Registry keys due to some bad past lessons ! In the event of any mishap I'll have to do nothing but to go for a system recovery which I don't want to. .

Subir Nag, Apr 20, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that fixed it for me months back. I understand your concern, so act defensively. Here's how to protect yourself.

Bear in mind you can make sure System Restore is enabled, and set a restore point. If sthg goes wrong, you can use the restore point to recover.

And you can also manually back up (export) the part of the registry before you change it- just put the reg file on your desktop, say. Then if sthg goes wrong, you can merge back that reg file.

Then do the edit.

Or get your neighbourhood 14 year-old tech geek to help (well, you know what I mean..*Smile)

Now, everyone should use disk imaging. Routinely. That
    - lets you make a compressed copy of your disk/partition
    - lets you restore your PC to exactly how it was, relatively quickly, saving your time, sanity and a call for technical assistance
    - creates a complete backup from which you can recover files
    - lets you replace your disk even if it fails
    - recover easily from ransomware

etc

So start using disk imaging- Macrium Reflect (free) is highly recommended here, plus its boot medium + external storage for the backups.

Create an image before you do the reg. edit.

dalchina, Apr 21, 2016
  7. Subir Nag Win User
    Thank you so much ! .......very very scared ! Well, a sense of 'go ahead' is playing around though but.... ...let's see !!!

Subir Nag, Apr 21, 2016
  8. Subir Nag Win User

Hi, Getting no alternatives I've decided to follow your advice deleting the specified keys in the Registry. But I'm not sure about the following points and I request you kind help to get it done :
    1. Shall I've to delete the same keys from CURRENT_LOCAL_USER also AND which one should be deleted first i.e., LOCAL_MACHINE or LOCAL_USER ?
    2. A detailed procedure for placing 'Geolocation' in the StartUp may kindly be explained as I tried to create a shortcut but couldn't get the path of StartUp file.

Subir Nag, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Deactivated Location Service to reactivate - Similar Threads - Deactivated Location Service

2. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivate a deactivated HDD: Hello,I wanted to disable my HDD Drive today in order to boost my Computer's performance. I did it too quick and was not really knowing what I'm doing. I followed this guide: Windows + X > Disk Manager > right click on HDD > Properties > Driver tab > Disable Device. There was...
  3. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivate a deactivated HDD: Hello,I wanted to disable my HDD Drive today in order to boost my Computer's performance. I did it too quick and was not really knowing what I'm doing. I followed this guide: Windows + X > Disk Manager > right click on HDD > Properties > Driver tab > Disable Device. There was...
  4. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows Defender deactivated and cannot be reactivated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender deactivated and cannot be reactivated: Hi,I cannot start my Windows Defender. I just noticed, it was deactivated for reasons unknown to me. As I suspected a virus or malware could be the cause, i checked the system with the Malicious Software Removal tool from Microsoft, but it couldn't find anything. Is the...
  6. Windows 10 Deactivated Itself and will reactivate on restart but deactivates after an hour...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Deactivated Itself and will reactivate on restart but deactivates after an hour...: I purchased this Corsair prebuild computer in 2012. It came with Win 7 then was upgraded to Win8 and finally Win10 Home on the free upgrade . It's been my daily PC and I never had this activation issue on it before. Today it began showing me this watermark about how Windows...
  7. Reactivate deactivated network?

Reactivate deactivated network?: Was in my network connections and wanted to change something there (under properties) but I came to disable it and do not know how to enable it again because it is no longer displayed there. If it brings something it was responsible for giving Hotspot. So for my Wlan usb...
  8. Windows 10 Deactivated Itself and Will Not Reactivate

Windows 10 Deactivated Itself and Will Not Reactivate: I have this computer since 2011. It has had Windows 7 then was upgraded to Windows 8 and finally Windows 10 through the years. It's been my daily driver and I never had this activation issue on it before. Today it began showing me this watermark about how Windows is not...
  9. Windows reactivated after deactivation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows reactivated after deactivation: So I installed windows 10 pro and was interested in seeing how it look activated so when one one person posted a key on facebook (Multi licence I guess) so I tried it and windows activated then after few hours I removed the key using a command I found online and it went back...
  10. windows 10 deactivated how to reactivate

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 deactivated how to reactivate: My grandson somehow deactivated windows 10. I have a refurbished Dell that came with windows 7. I had updated to windows 10 when it came out. I have a product code for windows 7. what option do I use to reactivate windows?...