Windows 10: Deactivated Windows 10, cleared registry, installed on new PC, now license won't...

Discus and support Deactivated Windows 10, cleared registry, installed on new PC, now license won't... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built a new PC,deactivated windows 10, and cleared my registry on my old PC before dismantling it and moving the parts on. From what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PatrickFielding, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Deactivated Windows 10, cleared registry, installed on new PC, now license won't...

I recently built a new PC,deactivated windows 10, and cleared my registry on my old PC before dismantling it and moving the parts on.

From what I read, the transfer process was quite easy and if I had any trouble chat support would have been able to help me resolve it with reactivation. But it doesn't seem to recognise the 25 digit license key I've provided, and it also comes up short of any help when it comes to resolving the reactivation. I'm definitely typing it in corectly and have it saved to a notepad as well as a screenshot of it from the old PC just to be certain.

I think the trouble is that I upgraded from windows 7 back in the day; I never really had much information on the original key or system as it was a long time ago before I was savy enough to understand that it may be helpful later down the line - the 25 digit activation key on the old system is all I could find to go off.

I took note that I was using winow 10 pro before, so that's what I obviously installed on the new system. But now I'm reading that I may have even needed to install window 7 and do the upgrade process for it to work properly??? It all seems a bit far-fetched and I really don't want to have to create a backup of my C drive and go through the whole process of reinstalling in order to troubleshoot this problem - is there really no other simple way to fix this?

I have the activation key and it was deactivated on my old system. I even went as far as to properly clear the registry just to be sure.

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of purchasing a fresh license just to do away with all the trouble I've been having with it.

:)

PatrickFielding, Dec 18, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Dec 18, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Dec 18, 2020
  4. RCoon Win User

Deactivated Windows 10, cleared registry, installed on new PC, now license won't...

I'm trying to install windows 10 in new computer from USB drive.

I don't really understand what you're saying.

You have two options:

A) Have a previously licensed version of Windows 7 or 8 on a PC, run the GWX upgrade to Windows 10 (which then swaps your Windows 7/8 key to a Windows 10 license), then do a clean install and Microsoft will automatically license that PC provided the motherboard is installed.

B) Have a Windows 10 license, install Windows 10 on the PC as a clean install, and input that license.

RCoon, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Deactivated Windows 10, cleared registry, installed on new PC, now license won't...

1. Deactivated Windows 10, cleared registry, installed on new PC, now license won't... - Similar Threads - Deactivated cleared registry

2. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC: I am a little confused on proper workflow. I am building a new PC and want to move my Windows 10 Home version retail license to the new PC. I will install Windows 10 from a USB stick, so it will be a new installation. I understand I am supposed to first deactivate my license...
  3. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC: I am a little confused on proper workflow. I am building a new PC and want to move my Windows 10 Home version retail license to the new PC. I will install Windows 10 from a USB stick, so it will be a new installation. I understand I am supposed to first deactivate my license...
  4. Windows 10 retail license deactivation/activation when moving to a new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. New PC deactivated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC deactivated: I used my Microsoft account that is linked to old PC. I build a new one since the old is not working properly now. When I linked my MS account it is not activated even though I have digital license. I upgraded my old PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8 and Im using the same...
  6. New PC deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New PC deactivated: I used my Microsoft account that is linked to old PC. I build a new one since the old is not working properly now. When I linked my MS account it is not activated even though I have digital license. I upgraded my old PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8 and Im using the same...
  7. New PC deactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Re-installed windows, now it's deactivated

Re-installed windows, now it's deactivated: Pretty much as the title says. I re-installed windows because it didn't work, and now it's not activated anymore. I tried using the get help app and it came really close to working but then told me to call them or ask the forums, so here I am. How do I get windows activated...
  9. Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC)

Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC): Hello everybody, I’d like to ask about deactivation Windows 10 PC. I have transferable license of Windows 10 on a PC and I would like to sell this PC without this license. Of course, I will format and securely erase HDD, but when new owner makes fresh PC installation,...
  10. Re-installed Windows 10 and now require new license.

Re-installed Windows 10 and now require new license.: When Windows 10 launched, there was as offer of a free download for the first however many subscribers. I downloaded Windows 10 for free and had it running on my Toshiba Laptop. Subsequently, I bought a Surface Pro 3 and have been using that for many years now. I have taken...