Windows 10: dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive

Discus and support dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; spilled water on my 1 yr old Lenovo ThinkPad and it's confirmed - it's toast! Had Best Buy remove the hard drive to try to recover files, but they need... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by 11karen11, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 11karen11 Win User

dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive

spilled water on my 1 yr old Lenovo ThinkPad and it's confirmed - it's toast! Had Best Buy remove the hard drive to try to recover files, but they need a bit locker PW to access. I have no idea what it is and obviously I can't following many online instructions to use my computer to find the PW. What now? anyone want a 4lb paperweight! :-(

:)

11karen11, Jul 15, 2019

2. Problem starting computer with Bit Locker turned on

Turned on Bit Locker on wife's desktop and had no problem encrypting the drives. Recently, when starting up computer, computer shows blue screen for entering password to Bit locker and immediately shuts down after entering only a few of the characters.
    This will go on 3 or 4 times before it stays on long enough to enter password and computer will then start up normally.

I'm turning off Bit Locker until I can figure out where the problem lies.

Computer is Dell Inspiron 3847 with quad core i5 processor. Using Windows 10 Pro, version 1607. Hard drives are two 2TB Seagate drives and a 4 TB Seagate backup drive. All updates are current.

Any suggestions for clearing this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Mark Hartry, Jul 15, 2019
  3. cobrasl Win User
    External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive [​IMG]

cobrasl, Jul 15, 2019
  4. dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive

Windows 10: How to hardware encrypt using bit locker without TPM.

Hi Ajit,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with encrypting the hard drive on Windows 10.

This issue might be due to problems with change in group policy settings for bit locker.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• Have you created any system restore point on the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to manage the bit locker settings in the group policy settings by following the below link and check if it helps.

First before performing any changes in Bit locker settings, I suggest you to create System Restore point on the computer. So that we can restore back to previous Windows state if any issues occurs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft Help Article about managing bit locker settings in the Group policy settings and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/What-Group-Policy-settings-are-used-with-BitLocker

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Please get back to us with an update on bit locker issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 15, 2019
Thema:

dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive

1. dead computer - need bit locker PW to access hard drive - Similar Threads - dead computer need

2. Hard drive is not working or get damaged due to Bit locker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive is not working or get damaged due to Bit locker: I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance regarding an issue I am experiencing with my laptop's hard drive, which is attributed to BitLocker encryption.Recently, I enabled BitLocker encryption on my laptop to enhance the security of my data....
  3. Hard drive is not working or get damaged due to Bit locker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive is not working or get damaged due to Bit locker: I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance regarding an issue I am experiencing with my laptop's hard drive, which is attributed to BitLocker encryption.Recently, I enabled BitLocker encryption on my laptop to enhance the security of my data....
  4. Hard drive is not working or get damaged due to Bit locker

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Bit Locker encrypted hard drive / the key didn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit Locker encrypted hard drive / the key didn't work: My C drive was bit locker encrypted when I inserted it in another laptop. When inserting it back into my laptop, the bit locker window opened before the login and i couldn't access my computer anymore. I found the recovery key from the other computer that should unlock my...
  6. Bit Locker encrypted hard drive / the key didn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bit Locker encrypted hard drive / the key didn't work: My C drive was bit locker encrypted when I inserted it in another laptop. When inserting it back into my laptop, the bit locker window opened before the login and i couldn't access my computer anymore. I found the recovery key from the other computer that should unlock my...
  7. Bit Locker encrypted hard drive / the key didn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Can't Access Bit Locker Code

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't Access Bit Locker Code: Thanks in advance for your help. I took my computer to get worked on and the technician said that I needed a bit locker code to be able to work on the computer. We tried accessing the code through "Go.microsoft.com" after entering my email address and we kept getting an...
  9. bit locker needed

bit locker needed: need bit locker for NATINBUAG96223 RECOVERY ID 890453E3-3567-83877199BEFO971D THANKS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/bit-locker-needed/02755f86-a46a-4156-b53f-7418f3a6696a
  10. Bit Locker external hard drive locks up laptop

Bit Locker external hard drive locks up laptop: I have an external hard drive, which was interrupted during initial encryption. When I plug the hard drive into my laptop, I simply cannot access the hard drive in any way as it simply goes to error after about a minute. Running Windows 7 Enterprise. Help!...