Windows 10: Dead/dying laptop

Discus and support Dead/dying laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by garyfritz, Oct 25, 2018.

1. garyfritz Win User

Dead/dying laptop

I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally locked up. Windows would not run without the cooling fan operating.

I ordered a new fan overnight, and this afternoon I had the lovely task of ripping my laptop apart. Naturally the fan was deep in the belly of the beast, but I found a good guide and I think I got it successfully reinstalled. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I fired it up... And no luck. After a while I realized my keyboard wasn't working properly, so I took it apart and reseated the keyboard ribbon cable and now that works right.

But I still have a problem with Windows booting up. Various things happen:
    * Sometimes the blue window icon displays with the spinning circle below it, and after a few seconds the spinning circle stops.
    * Sometimes the boot process goes into an error detection operation. It says preparing to repair (or something like that), diagnosing your PC, automated repair could not repair your system, and then there are several options to do various troubleshooting things.
    * I've tried all of those troubleshooting options except resetting my PC. I couldn't restore to a restore point.
    * I had an Acronis image backup from the night before the disk died, so I restored that back up. No change, same behavior.

I'm past due for a new laptop, but I really would like to keep this one around to get data off it and keep using it in the background for a while. Any suggestions how I might resurrect this old beast?

Gary

:)

garyfritz, Oct 25, 2018
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Oct 25, 2018
  3. SR_N8 Win User
    Symbian is dead. We have bought a dying platform.

Symbian is not dead or dying! Symbian is time tested, reliable! The UI improved greatley with Anna! I do not use any third party UIs with Anna on my N8. Any kind of apps for daily use are there in the store! Some developers shifted to Andorid because of
    "dying" symbian but it is not an issue! Any app can be ported frm one OS to another - matter of time and will. Developers will be only happy if they will be able to port their apps to Symbian in order to increase their sales. So, there is no way Nokia/Symbian
    is dying! It is transforming but not dying. MS is greatest soft developer and Nokia is greatest phone producer! Imagine what tey can do together! The only worry is that competiton should be there! Some peacfull "war" between Samsung, Nokia and Apple should
    be there! Otherwise we consumers will saffer! Monopoly is the real threat to all of us.

SR_N8, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Fourstaff Win User

Dead/dying laptop

Help! Laptop emergency

The first symptom sounds like overheating to me, but the second one suggests dead/dying hardware. I don't think he can even boot his pc properly.

Fourstaff, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Dead/dying laptop

1. Dead/dying laptop - Similar Threads - Dead dying laptop

2. Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead Laptop: So I'm trying to fix my mother's laptop that just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Whenever she tried to turn it on it just sat at the preparing automatic repair screen and didn't do anything. So I was going to reinstall windows, but my question is, do I need to install the...
  3. Laptop Battery dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Battery dead: Hi Windows 10 A 2 fold question. I have an HP Omen Laptop and for some time now that battery refuses to charge. For long time though the computer recognized that there was a battery as it always said it had 92% charge remaining but it would not charge. So first question is...
  4. Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive: Greetings, I have a friend who has a six year old HP laptop. The hard disk has been crawling for a while and they finally got the black screen of death. They booted into an HP Repair Utility, it tested the HDD, and came back with a code indicating it's either toast or nearly...
  5. SSD either dead/dying or messed up. Please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD either dead/dying or messed up. Please help: Bought a used SSD some 2 months ago and it was fine on all health testing apps like Disk Sentinel etc, and it worked perfectly fine until now. This morning out of nowhere, it started maxing out 100% usage, and my PC became barely usable even though this is a secondary drive...
  6. PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

in Windows 10 Support
    PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying): Hi, I left my Windows 10 Pro PC alone for an hour or two a couple of nights ago. When I came back to it it had frozen. Totally unresponsive (but screen still displaying). I can't remember if I just used the power button to switch off, or actually turned it off at the PSU,...
  7. dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    dead laptop: my laptop died ( a dell Inspiron 11) and i want to put it on my old computer. will the windows 10 licence carry over? or do i have to buy a new license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-laptop/f2d47516-a2b7-4aa7-838e-bf1f8e4a4533"
  8. Dying laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dying laptop: Good evening to all,Hope someone can give me some advice. I have a dying hp laptop been having small problems very often. Have done a complete windows reset for the third time beginning of the week so decided to go and get another newer model. don't use it for any hard work...
  9. UpdateOrchestratormessed up, TS is dead (error 1067), Windows is dying

in Windows 10 Customization
    UpdateOrchestratormessed up, TS is dead (error 1067), Windows is dying: Hello! I have a big problem waiting for quick solution, but spendig hours over it did not produce any solution. I needed to disable Windows Update, so I opened Task Scheduler and deleted the triggers of all tasks in UpdateOrchestrator directory under Windows. It would be...
  10. Critical Process Died...... Surface dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died...... Surface dead?: Last year my Surface 3 (updated fully) started throwing up service exception error BSODs and earlier this year I seemed to cure it when I reset the device. About a month ago the service exception error start up (especially from sleep) crash reappeared but today this error...