Windows 10: Dead/dying laptop

Discus and support Dead/dying laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by garyfritz, Oct 25, 2018.

1. garyfritz Win User

Dead/dying laptop

I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally locked up. Windows would not run without the cooling fan operating.

I ordered a new fan overnight, and this afternoon I had the lovely task of ripping my laptop apart. Naturally the fan was deep in the belly of the beast, but I found a good guide and I think I got it successfully reinstalled. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I fired it up... And no luck. After a while I realized my keyboard wasn't working properly, so I took it apart and reseated the keyboard ribbon cable and now that works right.

But I still have a problem with Windows booting up. Various things happen:
    * Sometimes the blue window icon displays with the spinning circle below it, and after a few seconds the spinning circle stops.
    * Sometimes the boot process goes into an error detection operation. It says preparing to repair (or something like that), diagnosing your PC, automated repair could not repair your system, and then there are several options to do various troubleshooting things.
    * I've tried all of those troubleshooting options except resetting my PC. I couldn't restore to a restore point.
    * I had an Acronis image backup from the night before the disk died, so I restored that back up. No change, same behavior.

I'm past due for a new laptop, but I really would like to keep this one around to get data off it and keep using it in the background for a while. Any suggestions how I might resurrect this old beast?

Gary

:)

garyfritz, Oct 25, 2018
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Oct 25, 2018
  3. SR_N8 Win User
    Symbian is dead. We have bought a dying platform.

Symbian is not dead or dying! Symbian is time tested, reliable! The UI improved greatley with Anna! I do not use any third party UIs with Anna on my N8. Any kind of apps for daily use are there in the store! Some developers shifted to Andorid because of
    "dying" symbian but it is not an issue! Any app can be ported frm one OS to another - matter of time and will. Developers will be only happy if they will be able to port their apps to Symbian in order to increase their sales. So, there is no way Nokia/Symbian
    is dying! It is transforming but not dying. MS is greatest soft developer and Nokia is greatest phone producer! Imagine what tey can do together! The only worry is that competiton should be there! Some peacfull "war" between Samsung, Nokia and Apple should
    be there! Otherwise we consumers will saffer! Monopoly is the real threat to all of us.

SR_N8, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Fourstaff Win User

Dead/dying laptop

Help! Laptop emergency

The first symptom sounds like overheating to me, but the second one suggests dead/dying hardware. I don't think he can even boot his pc properly.

Fourstaff, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Dead/dying laptop

1. Dead/dying laptop - Similar Threads - Dead dying laptop

2. UpdateOrchestratormessed up, TS is dead (error 1067), Windows is dying

in Windows 10 Customization
    UpdateOrchestratormessed up, TS is dead (error 1067), Windows is dying: Hello! I have a big problem waiting for quick solution, but spendig hours over it did not produce any solution. I needed to disable Windows Update, so I opened Task Scheduler and deleted the triggers of all tasks in UpdateOrchestrator directory under Windows. It would be...
  3. Critical Process Died...... Surface dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died...... Surface dead?: Last year my Surface 3 (updated fully) started throwing up service exception error BSODs and earlier this year I seemed to cure it when I reset the device. About a month ago the service exception error start up (especially from sleep) crash reappeared but today this error...
  4. Laptop dead after Windows 10 Auto Updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop dead after Windows 10 Auto Updates: I have a Lenovo G500 that is now dead after auto installing Windows 10 updates. Webcam power and Battery light comes once but nothing else. Please advise. I have deadlines that I now will probably miss now. Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update,...
  5. Laptop dead after Windows 10 Auto Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop dead after Windows 10 Auto Updates: I have a Lenovo G500 that is now dead after auto installing Windows 10 updates. Webcam power and Battery light comes once but nothing else. Please advise. I have deadlines that I now will probably miss now....
  6. Dead Laptop Mysteriously Comes to Life

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead Laptop Mysteriously Comes to Life: A while back I started a thread concerning my Toshiba laptop. One day it worked fine. Next day it wouldn’t even turn on, using either AC or battery. Even the light on the front, showing connection to AC, remained unlit. Yep, she was completely dead. So, I went and bought a...
  7. Laptop died suddenly - battery issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop died suddenly - battery issue: Hi all, Lately I've had my laptop plugged in a lot because I've been running some design analysis software thats required a long time to solve. Anyway my laptop suddenly just cut off today whilst on battery. Straight away I assumed it was the battery as I had a similar issue...
  8. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...
  9. Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead laptop want to recover data that was on it: I was able to successfully recover my photos following @ and @spunk advice... Definitely has peaked my interest in learning and understanding computers a lot more *Thumbs Stick around TenForums then, there's a lot you can learn here. The Tutorials are an invaluable...
  10. Laptop Died After Win 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Died After Win 10 Update: Need some expert help here folks. Sister's laptop was restored to factory settings which included installation of Win 10 and updates. After restarting this morning I am just getting these two messages in rotation and no boot up: "Please wait while we install system update"...