Windows 10: Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How...

Discus and support Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell Laptop that had the HDD WIn 10 Pro crash the other day. When I put a new SSD in the Computer it finds it and wants to install. If I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BillMoyer, Sep 10, 2021.

1. BillMoyer Win User

Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How...

I have a Dell Laptop that had the HDD WIn 10 Pro crash the other day. When I put a new SSD in the Computer it finds it and wants to install. If I do that how will I get it activated without being able to access the old HDD? This computer was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. Thanks!

:)

BillMoyer, Sep 10, 2021
  2. ruggb Win User

upgrading with a dead HDD

My 8.1 laptop has a dead HDD. I do not have Recovery DVDs.

How will I get W10 installed when I get my new HDD?

ruggb, Sep 10, 2021
  3. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, Sep 10, 2021
  4. Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How...

Replacing HDD with SSD

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD (not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB). I initialised the (Crucial MX500) SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type
    as HDD (GPT) and a new simple volume, and it said it completed successfully. I created an installation media disk from the MS website on to a USB stick, replaced the HDD with the SSD, plugged in the installation media and attempted a fresh install of Windows
    10. Setup picked up the SSD, showing a reserved and primary partition, but when I clicked on next, it told me it could not find a partition or create a new one, and to check out the setup logs (not sure where to find them).

I would appreciate any help that can be given.

HarryH2010, Sep 10, 2021
Thema:

Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How...

1. Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How... - Similar Threads - Dead HDD start

2. Is my HDD dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my HDD dead?: So, when I turn my PC on, I get this message: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty...
  3. Is my HDD dead?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my HDD dead?: So, when I turn my PC on, I get this message: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty...
  4. Is my HDD dead?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dead HDD and windows won't open anymore. Wants to have a new os installed on SSD activated.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dead HDD and windows won't open anymore. Wants to have a new os installed on SSD activated.: I have upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 prom my laptop HDD is no longer working and wants to use the sdd to replace dead HDD. How can I make it activated?...
  6. I have a dead 60GB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a dead 60GB HDD: Hi, I have a dead 60GB HDD, and I want the data back from it. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-dead-60gb-hdd/9a5e7313-9bea-490f-80fe-49c496f697b1
  7. Hdd dead after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hdd dead after Windows 10 update: Hi,Recent "mandatory" Windows 10 update killed my storage hdd. I tried to restore to previous win version with no success. When I power on my pc with killed hdd inside, it starts hard disk recovery which shows loading time for over a month and rising basically gets stuck at...
  8. New HDD possibly Dead On Arrival.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New HDD possibly Dead On Arrival.: I don't know if this is the right sub for this question, so please direct me to the right place if it's not. I bought an internal 6 TB IronWolf HDD for my family's Windows 10 computer. I ordered it from Newegg with fast processing and 2-day shipping. It arrived today and I...
  9. Win 10 on dead hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 on dead hdd: Hi all .. i need some advice on my options please ... i have had windows 10 for a few years now but it was the free upgrade from my win 7 when 10 was released .. My hdd has died, i have 3 other hdd’s installed and the back up of “my computer” was on one of them the folder...
  10. SSD dead - install OS on remaining HDD without deleting everything?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD dead - install OS on remaining HDD without deleting everything?: Hey! My SSD died earlier today, and I'm left trying to figure out what to do with my computer now that it doesn't have an OS. Is there an easy way to install preferably Windows 7 on my remaining HDD without deleting everything on it? Sorry if this question seems like a...