Windows 10: Dead keys

Discus and support Dead keys in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 1809 If I type a double quote " or a single quote ' or a carat ^ or a tilde ~ I need to touch another keyboard character after before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stephen_999, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Dead keys

Windows 10 Home 1809

If I type a double quote " or a single quote ' or a carat ^ or a tilde ~ I need to touch another keyboard character after before it registers on screen. I know this behavior is call 'dead keys'. So, I search and find instructions to defeat the behavior. Replace whatever keyboard is configured now with US QWERTY. So, I open settings. The keyboard is already set at US QWERTY. I added US International, deleted US QWERTY and tried again. Unsurprisingly, the same issue occurs. Reverse the process so the machine is back to US QWERTY and the result is still no change.

This is a new laptop. My other laptop is using Windows 10 Home 1803 and does not have the problem.

Does 1809 home have an incorrect version of US QWERTY? If so, how do I fix it without jumping through too many hoops (such as installing a program to manually re-map the keyboard)? Alternatively, how do I 'kill' dead keys?

:)

Stephen_999, Apr 8, 2019

2. Problems with dead keys on MKLC

Hello,

I’m using the Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 to create custom keyboard layouts that fit my typographic requirements. For the field that I study I need a lot of characters that aren’t available on the windows keyboard. I use dead keys to exploit a wider range
    of characters, but some of theese don't work out the way I want. For example, I have a key with the label ‘9’ that produces small capital letters like ᴀ, ʙ, ᴄ…. In an earlyer version the label was simply ‘ᴀ’, but every time I pressed the key the output would
    be ‘ᴀᴀ’, it was practically not a dead key but a zombie key.

Currently I’m rebuilding the greek polytonic keyboard, because I don’t like where the special characters are located in the original layout. Now the same problem occurs with nearly every diacritical mark.

When I press the keay for

• ´ (oxia, U+1ffd)
    • ᾿ (psili, U+1fbf)
    and so on, nothing happens but windows making a light tone. There a two exceptions:

1. ῏ (psili and perispomeni, U+1fcf) behaves like the small caps, which means the output is ‘῏῏’
    2. ΄ (tonos, U+0384), ͺ (iota subscript, U+037a), ̄ (macron, U+00af) and ̆ (breve, U+02d8) behave normally.

Are there special constraints to the dead keys that I’m not aware of? I have no idea why for example ῏ (psili and perispomeni, U+1fcf) ῟ (dasia and preispomeni, U+1fdf) would behave differently.

Thanks in advance

[Moved from: Windows 10 / Install & upgrade]

Johannes Schütz, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Apr 8, 2019
  4. Steve C Win User

Dead keys

Need Serious Help: How To Record Video of What is Done on my PC?

I suggest the following simple steps:

1. Set the autosave options in MS Office to a low value say 5 minutes.
    2. Setup file history to autosave frequently - the shortest period is 5 mins
    3. Install Macrium Reflect Free and configure it to do a daily incremental system backup

You should be well covered if you do the above to protect your key files.

Steve C, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Dead keys

1. Dead keys - Similar Threads - Dead keys

2. Windows licence key transfer from a dead pc to a new.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows licence key transfer from a dead pc to a new.: Hello, ı have bought windows 8 pro Licence key at past and around 1 year later I have free upgraded it to windows 10. Now, that desktop computer has a severe problem with motherboard and not even starting. So that ı cannot reach windows to unregister the license key. Now I am...
  3. Windows licence key transfer from a dead pc to a new.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows licence key transfer from a dead pc to a new.: Hello, ı have bought windows 8 pro Licence key at past and around 1 year later I have free upgraded it to windows 10. Now, that desktop computer has a severe problem with motherboard and not even starting. So that ı cannot reach windows to unregister the license key. Now I am...
  4. If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?: My old computer is dead I was wandering if I can use the same windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-my-old-computer-is-dead-can-i-use-the-windows/d85eb9c5-df62-49d5-8961-743e0e9b3e65
  5. If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?: My old computer is dead I was wandering if I can use the same windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-my-old-computer-is-dead-can-i-use-the-windows/d85eb9c5-df62-49d5-8961-743e0e9b3e65
  6. If my old computer is dead, can I use the windows 10 activation key that I had, in a new PC ?

7. Switching dead SSD, don’t have windows key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching dead SSD, don’t have windows key: Hello! I’m installing a new ssd drive for booting since my old one died and can’t be accessed at all. I bought this pc from ibuypower 5 years ago so I don’t have my windows key but that pc it is registered under my account. Could I recover my windows once I install the new...
  8. Switching dead SSD, don’t have windows key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching dead SSD, don’t have windows key: Hello! I’m installing a new ssd drive for booting since my old one died and can’t be accessed at all. I bought this pc from ibuypower 5 years ago so I don’t have my windows key but that pc it is registered under my account. Could I recover my windows once I install the new...
  9. Switching dead SSD, don’t have windows key

10. Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help With Getting Old Product key from dead PC: My old PC died, and I have a new PC now and need to activate windows.I un-linked my old PC from my account thinking it would transfer the license to my new PC but that didn't work.I don't have the email that has my product key because it was through my school email address...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows dead keys

2. dead keys

3. international with dead keys turn off