Windows 10: Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop

Discus and support Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My laptop died. Both my desktop and my laptop are WIN10 and use the same windows account. Both accounts have admin privileges. I can see the folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Arch Feline, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop

My laptop died. Both my desktop and my laptop are WIN10 and use the same windows account. Both accounts have admin privileges. I can see the folders when I load the ssd but the folders are empty. Help?

:)

Arch Feline, Sep 22, 2022
  2. slance310 Win User

HOW TO TELL IF YOUR SSD IS DEAD

Hi,

Then it is possible that if you reformat the SSD on the laptop, it may still be usable.. But that does not explain how the space became unallocated..

The SSD has internal hardware that can work and cause the drive to appear, but the write\read part of the drive can be dead...

Since the Windows installation on the SSD is probably already gone, you could try to reformat it and copy files to it, and\or reinstall Windows to it, and see what happens..

The good news is that the cost of new SSD's has dropped A LOT.. New 512GB SSD's are selling for around $50 US.. Not too long ago I paid $120 US for a USED one...

slance310, Sep 22, 2022
  3. suraswami Win User
    Laptop or Desktop for Music production?

So what I suggested is better then - Desktop.

Now for the drives, gaming or any fast drive access machine I generally put in a fast 160 or 320 GB drive for OS and add couple of 500 GB drives in Raid 0 for speed. With the cheap drive prices I will suggest that route. Also will suggest him a SSD.

Sound card - suggest me a good one.

suraswami, Sep 22, 2022
  4. sarahk Win User

Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop

Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

sarahk, Sep 22, 2022
Thema:

Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop

1. Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop - Similar Threads - Dead Laptop Trying

2. Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop: My laptop died. Both my desktop and my laptop are WIN10 and use the same windows account. Both accounts have admin privileges. I can see the folders when I load the ssd but the folders are empty. Help?...
  3. Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dead Laptop and Trying to read SSD on my Desktop: My laptop died. Both my desktop and my laptop are WIN10 and use the same windows account. Both accounts have admin privileges. I can see the folders when I load the ssd but the folders are empty. Help?...
  4. Product Key on Dead SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key on Dead SSD: I recently had an SSD failure which necessitated sending the part back to the manufacturer and receiving a replacement. I am trying to load Windows 10 onto my new SSD, but I can't use the product key because it is still active on the old computer, and I don't know how to...
  5. Product Key on Dead SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Key on Dead SSD: I recently had an SSD failure which necessitated sending the part back to the manufacturer and receiving a replacement. I am trying to load Windows 10 onto my new SSD, but I can't use the product key because it is still active on the old computer, and I don't know how to...
  6. Product Key on Dead SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead Laptop: So I'm trying to fix my mother's laptop that just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Whenever she tried to turn it on it just sat at the preparing automatic repair screen and didn't do anything. So I was going to reinstall windows, but my question is, do I need to install the...
  8. SSD from Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD from Laptop to Desktop: Hello, so my question is how do I change all the registry keys when transferring a SSD from a laptop to a desktop. So recently built a computer to save the $110 it would cost me for a new operating system key I pulled the SSD out of my laptop and used it as the main drive on...
  9. dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    dead laptop: my laptop died ( a dell Inspiron 11) and i want to put it on my old computer. will the windows 10 licence carry over? or do i have to buy a new license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-laptop/f2d47516-a2b7-4aa7-838e-bf1f8e4a4533"
  10. Dead links on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead links on desktop: I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure. The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop...