Windows 10: Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop

Discus and support Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041I have a bunch of dead links on File Explorer. These links don't show up on the desktop, and also don't show up in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sgtgig, May 14, 2021.

1. sgtgig Win User

Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop

Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041I have a bunch of dead links on File Explorer. These links don't show up on the desktop, and also don't show up in "C:\Users\<user>\Desktop"How do I remove them? Nothing in the context/right-click menu appears to help. I added these links a long time ago and forgot how I added them. I tried searching for an answer but I can only find information on Quick Access links.I tried looking in AppData for all users but couldn't find anything that defines what shows up here.

:)

sgtgig, May 14, 2021
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, May 14, 2021
  3. Charley N Win User
    Dead links on desktop

I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure.
    The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop links does not effect them. I've rebuilt the icon cache to no effect, they are not present in any desktop folder. I've tried a couple of third party utilities that claim to detect/clean up broken links to no avail. I'd really like to get rid of them.

Charley N, May 14, 2021
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop - Similar Threads - Dead Links Under

2. How come desktop is under desktop???

in Windows 10 Customization
    How come desktop is under desktop???: How come desktop is under desktop??? why???? two desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-come-desktop-is-under-desktop/7b3d7b9e-21f1-435e-b101-8ef49dea88c1
  3. How can I link Desktop under OneDrive and Desktop under This PC of Windows10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I link Desktop under OneDrive and Desktop under This PC of Windows10?: I am using Windows 10. Now the contests in OneDrive > Desktop and the contents of This PC > Desktop are different.I want to share the contensts of these folders. The contents of these folders are identical on other computers. I started to do as follows:Right- Click on Desktop...
  4. How can I link Desktop under OneDrive and Desktop under This PC of Windows10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I link Desktop under OneDrive and Desktop under This PC of Windows10?: I am using Windows 10. Now the contests in OneDrive > Desktop and the contents of This PC > Desktop are different.I want to share the contensts of these folders. The contents of these folders are identical on other computers. I started to do as follows:Right- Click on Desktop...
  5. How can I link Desktop under OneDrive and Desktop under This PC of Windows10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. This PC File under Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This PC File under Desktop: This PC File holds many downloaded files which I already saved. Should be clearly out and deleting periodically all the files in This PC File? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-pc-file-under-desktop/5ab3b2cd-b28c-4350-8121-04c2b71ba379
  7. Link desktop/laptop files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Link desktop/laptop files: Hello! I was wondering if it's possible to link the file explorer between my laptop and desktop in some way, either by onedrive or an extension, or if it's another way to do it? My job is online, and I need to download files to perform it. However, I don't always use the...
  8. No Desktop under This PC in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Desktop under This PC in File Explorer: Greetings. So, I have no desktop under This PC when I go into File Explorer. Where did this go? Wouldnt it normally be there?? My shortcuts are syncing with Google Drive too. Please advise....
  9. All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change?

in Windows 10 Support
    All files grouped under 'Desktop' in 'File Explorer'. How to change?: Hello kind strangers on the web! I have made an account specifically for this problem that I am having, and as this is my first time posting here I hope I'm doing this right! I have recently upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10, and whilst using Windows 7, I was used to...
  10. Dead links on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead links on desktop: I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure. The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop...