Windows 10: Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

Discus and support Dead PC, move W10 to new PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My 11 year old rig died, brief specs Intel S775 Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 8GB Geil 800MHz ASUS 8800GT video card SSD (OS) & HDD (data) I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Whiskey 7, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Whiskey 7 Win User

Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

My 11 year old rig died, brief specs

Intel S775 Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core
    8GB Geil 800MHz
    ASUS 8800GT video card
    SSD (OS) & HDD (data)

I am unable to boot. There is a flicker on the activity LED and the fans start, stop and sometimes start again.. PSU seems OK as case fans, DVD opens/closes but there are no BIOS beeps at all. I've widely read for ideas and tried most everything to fix but you might suggest that one thing I have missed... or it will be time for a new PC *Smile

Any suggestions on how I might resurrect appreciated.

If it is the case I buy a new PC, can I get my W10 Pro key off the old SSD/HDD and use that on a new install? I am sure I had W7 Pro and got the free upgrade to W10 Professional at the time.

My Wife uses this PC for email and web surfing.

:)

Whiskey 7, Mar 26, 2019

2. Dead PC + black screen after W10 upgrade

None of the suggestions worked as the screen is (as previously posted) black with white text & no mouse / pointer. Only arrow keys + Enter key + some F keys function.

So bit the bullet & contacted Dell.... They ran through all the diagnostics with me over the phone & confirmed the Hard Drive is dead and explained it had been most probably "cooked" & corrupted by the W10 update. They also explained that my Dell PC is not
    suited to W10 (it came with W7 installed) & this is explained on their website - which I wish I had known about that & checked earlier...

Bottom line is it is costing me GB £185.00 to have a new HDD installed with W7. I do wish I had stuck with W7 and ignored the repeated pop-ups to upgrade to W10. Lesson learnt.

Sooty_Torques, Mar 26, 2019
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

New PC and Windows 10

If one is intending to buy a new pc from a source that builds to order, but installs an OEM version of windows by default, what would be suggested as a first step for the user?

For instance, should the user buy a copy of W10 professional and perform a clean install followed by the necessary drivers, software and user data?

Apologies if this is something already covered, I am looking for pointers to the latest guidance in that case.

John Brock, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

Dead PC, move W10 to new PC?

1. Dead PC, move W10 to new PC? - Similar Threads - Dead move W10

2. trouble trying to move files from old w10 pc to new w11 pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trouble trying to move files from old w10 pc to new w11 pc: I think I'm on the right track, but when I try to access w10 pc from the new one, it wants me to enter "credentials".On the old w10 pc, when I look for credentials, I find that I have no windows credentials.Am I in the right place?Is there an easier way to move files?My Plan...
  3. Moving data from dead laptop to PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving data from dead laptop to PC: Recently, I found my old, broken laptop, and I removed the hard disk drive from it. That laptop ran Windows 7, and I was wondering if I could put it in my pc, which runs Windows 10 Home, to transfer the files (pictures, documents, etc). Info Old one is Toshiba 320 gigabyte...
  4. Dead pc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dead pc: My pc won’t turn onno fans or lights and this happened after 3 consecutive overheats. I replaced the cpu and the motherboard and am really not sure what is left. This is 100% a hardware issue. I know my pc pretty well but im bamboozled at this point...
  5. Dead pc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dead pc: And by dead pc i mean no fans or lights. My computer overheated 1 too many times on a brand new game and it finally had enough. 75c was when it shut off btw. I really thought this was the cpu but after getting a replacement still nothing. I fear its the motherboard but there...
  6. Dead pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dead pc: My desktop pc has died, have tried all restore, reset ,safe mode, repair options none work, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-pc/ac61e1b4-3e84-40ae-a857-d936baa99289
  7. Dead PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dead PC: I recently lost the use of an additional HDD in my Dell XPS desktop. So I switched off the machine to check. Finding nothing obviously amiss, i boxed it up and switched the power on - to find it was totally dead. No problems with power cables or sockets and there is a yellow...
  8. PC id dead... and i need to move windows 10 to my new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PC id dead... and i need to move windows 10 to my new PC: how can i do this... i bought the final version , not the annual subscription and i paid the 119,00 for the software.. my PC is dead and in bought a new one but it doesn't have windows 10... how can i move my purchase to the new one?? thanks !! gustavo ======...
  9. Move to a New PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move to a New PC: Hi, I bought a new Pc, and I looking for a solution to back up everything. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-to-a-new-pc/c911e0be-c00c-4d3b-ac0b-40f0ae98bc4a"
  10. Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows Install to New PC (W7 to W10): I'm about to upgrade my PC soon and I decided that the OS should be upgraded too. I'm currently on W7 Pro x64 and I plan to get the W10 Pro x64. My concern is that I don't have a product key for W10 yet, but I heard that you can still install W10 even with a W7/8 product...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell move w10 hdd new pc