Windows 10: Dead windows partition

Discus and support Dead windows partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 from the original Win7 that came with my Dell PC. It's on its own partition on a 1 terabyte HDD. After the last upgrade, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mayagrafix, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Dead windows partition

I upgraded to Windows 10 from the original Win7 that came with my Dell PC. It's on its own partition on a 1 terabyte HDD. After the last upgrade, it died and will not boot. The auto repair screen options are no joy. However, using an external disk to boot I can access the win 10 partition (as well as the rest of the HDD) and all its docs no problems, so its not a re-format problem. Sounds like a NTLDR problem to me, how do I replace it?

:)

Mayagrafix, Dec 21, 2015
  2. Jay_77865 Win User

Repair Windows 10 install using Media Creation tool

I'm confused, how would I use easy data recovery on the laptop with the raw partition if i can't install windows?

Is the hdd dead if i can't fix the raw partition?

You're advising I do a clean install but I dont understand how if the raw partition is the problem. Isn't the raw partition the 298 gig hdd?

Jay_77865, Dec 21, 2015
  3. tiagula Win User
    U3 Support in Windows 10

This is about the dead U3 standard by SanDisk. I have an 8Gb USB stick with a 6Gb CD U3 partition on it. Will this be supported by Windows 10 or will only the 2Gb data partition be recognized? I want it to be a bootable, read only CD with one ISO file.

tiagula, Dec 21, 2015
  4. Superfly Win User

Dead windows partition

Dending which error you are getting, try chkdsk /f /r

Although I recently had a non-boot due to bad clusters on the system partition - so if not already done, backup while you can.

Superfly, Dec 21, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would recommend you install Macrium Reflect Free on an operating computer and make a bootable Macrium Reflect Rescue USB/DVD/CD. Boot the problem computer from the Rescue disk and you can do two things with it - under the restore menu is an utility to fix boot problems. That might fix your problem, and it also can be used to make a image backup of your hard drive to an external drive as Superfly suggested.

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2015
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

Dead windows partition

1. Dead windows partition - Similar Threads - Dead partition

2. win10 dead end, on latest update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 dead end, on latest update ?: Hi All. Trying to install the latest update. Ok going through the pages, I get the following.. Select or connect an external storage drive with at least 10 Gb free: Next page says .. External storage device ( D : ) 26.2 Gb Free... Also, at the bottom of the same page it...
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC: So now that RDR2 is coming to PC I really want to pre-download it because i own it on the Microsoft store but it says i can not download it even though i own it and it is coming out on PC and pre-downloading has started on October 9th. Why cant i pre-download my game from the...
  4. Can I transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead, non-working laptop to my new one?

Can I transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead, non-working laptop to my new one?: Recently my laptop decided crash and there was no saving it. My old laptop had Windows 10 Home installed. I later updated it to Windows 10 Pro through the Windows Store. Now that my old laptop is dead, I'd like to be able to activate Windows 10 Pro on the new computer without...
  5. WIN 10 install - USB dead on Welcome screen on two different systems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 install - USB dead on Welcome screen on two different systems: I have the following setups. System #1 ASUS 990FX Sabertooth Motherboard (Rev 1) AMD FX-8150 CPU 16 GB DDR3 RAM EVGA NVidia GT 1030 Video card (PCIe) 1 TB SSD and System #2 ASUS P8-z77-V Motherboard i5 3570K CPU Intel Integrated Video (onboard) 8 GB RAM 1 TB...
  6. Can I transfer Windows 10 from dead, non-working, PC to new one

Can I transfer Windows 10 from dead, non-working, PC to new one: My motherboard just fried itself last week and I'm wondering if there is a way to transfer my purchased copy of Windows 10 to the new PC I'm building. If so, is there any video guides that shows exactly what needs to be done or even a step by step guide can help, as long as...
  7. Move upgrade from dead computer?

Move upgrade from dead computer?: I've been reading assorted posts and answers for the past couple weeks, but haven't found a response that addresses my situation, which seems odd, since I can't be the only one to ever have experienced this. There are two parts to this, with the second dependent on the first....
  8. ~ How install WINDOWS 10 on NEW HD after DEAD Hard Drive on OEM Windows 8 install ? ~

~ How install WINDOWS 10 on NEW HD after DEAD Hard Drive on OEM Windows 8 install ? ~: ~ How install WINDOWS 10 on NEW HD after DEAD Hard Drive on OEM Windows 8 install ? ~ OEM computer with initially Windows 8 installed upgraded to Windows 10. When Hard Drive dies how do I install Windows 10 on NEW Hard Drive ? 1. How do access KEY info ? 2. Do I need...
  9. Season 10 the walking dead

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Season 10 the walking dead: Why can’t i find the walking dead tv show for uk but i can find it for the us in the microsoft film and tv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/season-10-the-walking-dead/096a8179-dc10-4e37-9f1e-412fd4e17f30"
  10. My PC is dead, need help!

My PC is dead, need help!: So this has been a fun one. A couple days ago i was causally playing Counter-Strike when i received a system service exception BSOD. Didnt think much of it ans restarted my computer. I did NOT have the new update installed for windows, so when my pc restarted the update...