Windows 10: Debian Buster users changes in su command

Discus and support Debian Buster users changes in su command in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there people using DEBIAN BUSTER as a VM (or even as a real distro) should be aware that su changes the path so you won't find a lot of programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 22, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Debian Buster users changes in su command

Hi there

people using DEBIAN BUSTER as a VM (or even as a real distro) should be aware that su changes the path so you won't find a lot of programs from the command line (bash)

To get back to the old way (path works as before) use su -l command now. Then it all works as before.
    I found that out by trying to add user to sudo and kept getting usermod command not found !!!

Been playing around with Debian -- very stable , zillions of packages and fast - for beginners who want a lean machine probably easier than using Arch. Runs extremely well on Windows Hosts. Not "Leading Edge" but reasonably up to date also with LTS support so for a lot it's good enough and stable !!!.

I'm against canonical particularly (Ubuntu) who seem to want to "Corporatize" Linux which is against the whole idea of the OS so distros that have been around for a long time with decent user groups IMO are always worth looking at.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

Hi folks
    Anybody tried the recently released DEBIAN 10 (Buster) as a VM with a Windows 10 Host yet.
    Interested to know what it looks like -- I'll try myself a bit later but got things to do this weekend.

Thinking of changing my NAS's from CENTOS to DEBIAN as KDE is being dropped by RHEL and CENTOS 8 -- next release -- so might get a bit of testing in. DEBIAN has been around "Since Pontius was a Pilot" !!!! i.e literally years and years and is also 100% stable but more leading edge with some packages -- I don't want to use FEDORA as that's too much of a developers thing rather than built for stability.

I usually install the KDE GUI as I run a load of VM's on these NAS's -- plenty of horsepower for that -- and I prefer the KDE plasma desktop over the basic ubuntu (GNOME) or Linux Mint interface. The VM's usually run with VMWARE so I do need a GUI.

Eventually I might go "GUI-LESS" using ESXi or similar but VMWare works perfectly for what I need (now that the initial glitch with it on some W10 releases a few back) has been fixed.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2021
  3. How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile Debian Buster users changes in su command :)

Thema:

1. Debian Buster users changes in su command - Similar Threads - Debian Buster users

2. Installed Debian Linux -

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed Debian Linux -: Several months ago I installed Debian Linux on my Windows 10 computer with dual multiple boot. The systems were working well together where I could select and boot into either Debian or Windows from the Debian GRUB selection screen. In the past week, I updated Debian with the...
  3. Installed Debian Linux -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed Debian Linux -: Several months ago I installed Debian Linux on my Windows 10 computer with dual multiple boot. The systems were working well together where I could select and boot into either Debian or Windows from the Debian GRUB selection screen. In the past week, I updated Debian with the...
  4. Installed Debian Linux -

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Su

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Su: Jrjrjjrjrjjrjr https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/su/633a1b59-470b-43f8-a409-9a41395be223
  6. Debian

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Debian: I gave recently installed debian linux application on windows and have gotten this error code : Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed. What does it mean and how can I fix it. Thank you!!!...
  7. W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet: Hi folks Anybody tried the recently released DEBIAN 10 (Buster) as a VM with a Windows 10 Host yet. Interested to know what it looks like -- I'll try myself a bit later but got things to do this weekend. Thinking of changing my NAS's from CENTOS to DEBIAN as KDE is being...
  8. Mapping to Debian Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping to Debian Server: For years I've had shares from my XP64 machine mapped to my Debian server with the following fstab entries. It's a lot faster transferring files between machines using cli and I don't have any of the windows protection limitations. Code: //192.168.0.XXX/Archive /archive cifs...
  9. Ipad Buster - Samsung S5E

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ipad Buster - Samsung S5E: Hi there This looks like a winner from Samsung for those who use tablets -- 10.1 inch screen - so very useable when travelling and runs on android 9 Looks like the perfect Ipad buster to me. And it's around (or will be ) 400 USD. Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e officially unveiled...
  10. Change User Language by command line

in Windows 10 Support
    Change User Language by command line: Hi, I have a Win10 Enterprise version. I have set 3 Languages under the Setting -> Language. I can manually switch between the 3 languages under the Language setting page (by the set as primary language, then perform a sign out and sign in with the same user againg)....