Windows 10: Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken

Discus and support Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Windows Host -- latest Insider rel w10 pro a-64. I like DEBIAN also for servers -- latest LTS ( Debian "Stretch") avoids 99% of problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 10, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken

Hi folks

Windows Host -- latest Insider rel w10 pro a-64.

I like DEBIAN also for servers -- latest LTS ( Debian "Stretch") avoids 99% of problems with SAMBA / Windows connections etc but there is a problem with VMWARE workstation 14.1 when you try and attach a USB3 external HDD drive (formatted XFS -- a Linux file system).

Normally no problem you just attach the drive via the VMware VM menu - windows doesn't do anything with the Linux drive -- just recognizes the hardware.

However drive (and USB) not recognized at all by the VM - in removable devices USB3 HDD not seen at all -- can't say if this is a Windows or VM problem. In fact no USB devices seem to be recognized at at all by the VM either USB2 or 3.

Get around fix-- in the VMware config attach the USB3 drive as a RAW (physical drive) and then simply mount it once your VM is powered on. You have to do this though before power on --select use whole drive and ignore the "invalid partition" message -- there's no windows partitions on EXT4 / XFS file systems. !!!

Tried the same VM on another computer running latest non insider release of windows but same release of VMware workstation -- perfect --no probs whatsoever.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 10, 2018

2. Can you allow the host to use the VM network connection?

If you use a VM...

this is possible although not immediately obviously useful. My situation was one where the vm os was able to change settings on a wireless network adapter which allowed me to pick up the signal at a useable strength. The host could not do this. So I was in the weird situation where the vm os - backtrack - had internet but the host - osx 10.6 - did not. Annoying.

Easily corrected as follows:
    1. connect the vm to the network, in my case this was wireless so wlan0
    2. set up the vm so that is has a local network with the host, make sure the host can ping the vm. In my case this meant enabling eth0 in the vm
    3. set up ip forward and iptables masquerade rules on the vm.
    4. change the default route of the host to be the vm local ip
    5. enjoy the vm network via the host

now I imagine some readers will want more detail on ip forward and masquerade with iptables but there are a lot of tutorials out there for this stuff. It depends on the vm os but if you are using linux then

ip forward with:
    $ echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables rules something like this
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $PRIVATE -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

{clearly $PRIVATE is your private subnet, set the rules up to run at ifup}

*Smile Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken :)

MatteusBlanc, Aug 10, 2018
  3. hboers_ Win User
    Activation and Re-activation of Windows 10 Pro VM (VirtualBox, OSX Host) not working

I've moved a working and activated Windows 10 Pro VM (VirtualBox) from a Windows 10 Host to an OSX Host. The re-activation of the is not Working (Error Code 0xC004C003). I also moved a Windows 7 Pro VM that reactivate without problems. I tried everything
    mentioned in the process to activate. Nothing works or even outputs some useful hint or support contact.

• used another (afaik unused) product key. not working! Same Error Code.
    • created a new VM and installed a fresh Windows 10 pro. The new machine can not be activated!

Thus this seems to be a problem within the crappy M$ activation system.

Any useful hint how to activate this M$ crap would be highly appreciated.

hboers_, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Derek12 Win User

Running your Browser in a VM?

• Install VMware Player or Virtualbox, VMware being faster in my experience
    • Create a VM with sufficent RAM HD and all CPU cores
    • Install Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Debian or some lightweight distro with Xcfe or LXDE
    • Install VMware/Virtualbox tools
    • Almost any distro comes with Firefox
    • Install Ublock Origin/Noscript/Ghostery
    • Disable cookies with a whitelist/use private browsing.
    In my experience, running a browser through a VM can slow down scrolling smoothness, video playback and increase ping delay

Derek12, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken - Similar Threads - Debian Stretch latest

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using: Hi folks I was just amazed that on a topic on XP I got over 10,000 views and another one over 14,000 -- so I thought would be interesting to get an idea of what VM's people are running, on what type of HOST system and what Virtualisation platform they are using -- I know...
  4. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  5. Windows 10 inside a VM hosted locally

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 inside a VM hosted locally: Hello, We have a need to have 2 Windows 10 installations on some of our company's laptops for use on a certain project. I have read https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/d/98d6a56c-4d79-40f4-8462-da3ecba2dc2c/licensing_windows_desktop_os_for_virtual_machines.pdf and...
  6. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  7. Samba broken on Fedora 31 VM

Samba broken on Fedora 31 VM: Hi folks These issues are raised here because some people might think it's a VMWare or Windows problem -- in this case both Ms and VMware seem entirely innocent for once !!!. Those trying latest updates to FEDORA as a VM (Fedora 31 kernel 5.X.X) will probably find SAMBA...
  8. W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet: Hi folks Anybody tried the recently released DEBIAN 10 (Buster) as a VM with a Windows 10 Host yet. Interested to know what it looks like -- I'll try myself a bit later but got things to do this weekend. Thinking of changing my NAS's from CENTOS to DEBIAN as KDE is being...
  9. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  10. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...