Windows 10: Debugging Tools for Windows 10 Question

Discus and support Debugging Tools for Windows 10 Question in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Shouldn't Windbg work with any dump file, even if its for 10? OR is this Windbg only going to work with 10. What am I doing wrong? (BTW, this is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by gator, Apr 13, 2015.

1. gator Win User

Debugging Tools for Windows 10 Question

Shouldn't Windbg work with any dump file, even if its for 10? OR is this Windbg only going to work with 10. What am I doing wrong?

(BTW, this is a dump from a Windows 7 machine I'm trying to open)

I get this error:

:)

gator, Apr 13, 2015

2. I can not find any debugging tool?

I have installed visual studio 2015 which comes with windows sdk for windows 10, and according to this page: Debugging Tools for Windows (WinDbg, KD, CDB, NTSD)

windows debugging tool comes with sdk.

Also according to this page:

Tools Included in Debugging Tools for Windows

debugging tools located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\, however, when I go to that directory, I can not find any debugging tools.

Who knows what happened?

Michael-Chen, Apr 13, 2015
  3. Using Windows Debugging tool

When you do !thread then DPs and it says module loaded but symbols could not be simply means there may be a missing or corrupt symbol. If on the other hand it says module could not be loaded it is much more indicative.

So a mention is less reliable than an actual indicator of hardware.

Symbols are technically not necessary to analysis. If one knows enough assembly and all that jazz to figure things out on their own, they can disassemble the code and backtrack through it all and get a mental idea what was taking place. Escalation engineers
    like those in Microsoft are known to doing just that with 3rd-party drivers they don't have access to public symbols for. Despite having no symbols,

From a thread about them on sysnative by Vir Garnus.

The Raw Truth - Using Raw Stacks

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Apr 13, 2015
  4. usasma Win User

Yes it should work.

First try this link: https://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze
    This'll let you upload and perform a quck analysis on a memory dump file - which will tell you if the memory dump is corrupt or not.

Then, if it isn't corrupt, the next step would be to uninstall the Debugging Tools and then install a freshly downloaded copy (in case of corruption).

BUT, from looking closer at the error message, it appears that you're trying to run the dump file out of a ZIP archive. That's not supported in WinDbg. Extract the .dmp file to your Desktop and try to run it from there.

Also, try opening up WinDbg and using the File menu to open up the extracted memory dump (the one inside the ZIP archive shouldn't open there either).

Finally (this is sorta bass-ackwards on my part), is the question - What version of Debugging Tools are you using?
    Is it the newly released version for Win10? Please remember that that version is still "beta" software.

Good luck!

usasma, Apr 13, 2015
  5. gator Win User
    Thanks John, yes its the newly released 10.0 something WinDbg. I downloaded it with Windows SDK. When I was on my 8.1 machine they would always open the same way I am trying now so I'll have to see how I have it setup. Seems as though I've always clicked the link on the thread and opened the first dump and it always worked.

Thanks for the link and info, I'll have a look at it now.

gator, Apr 13, 2015
  6. gator Win User
    Tried to extract to a folder in my documents and into documents itself, I got this error.

Update: I tried opening it up manually and it works. Wonder why it won't work from simply opening the file as opposed to navigating to the file from within WinDBG?

gator, Apr 13, 2015
  7. derekimo Win User
    I always open dumps from a zipped archive, just easier that way for me. I've never had problems doing that.

derekimo, Apr 13, 2015
  8. gator Win User

I thought this were the case but I usually default to Johns wisdom.

gator, Apr 13, 2015
  9. derekimo Win User
    I'm not questioning his wisdom, just stating what I do.

derekimo, Apr 13, 2015
  10. gator Win User
    Oh I didn't mean he is right. I was just saying I thought I always did it out of a zipped archive as well but since he said it was not supported I just figured maybe I was mistaken. I also manually opened it out of a zipped folder which worked.

gator, Apr 13, 2015
  11. derekimo Win User
    It may not be supported like he says, but it does work. I never extract the zip archive, I just work out of it and then only have one item to delete.

Anyway, back to your original problem now, I didn't intend to derail the thread.

derekimo, Apr 13, 2015
  12. gator Win User
    Its no problem at all Derek. Your input is always welcome.

As for the problem, I think it was because I didn't set up ALL of the associations. I only had dmp files. I set all file associations like you're supposed to and viola.. It works.

Thanks to both for the suggestions.

gator, Apr 13, 2015
  13. derekimo Win User

Cool, glad you got it sorted!

derekimo, Apr 13, 2015
  14. usasma Win User
    I have never been able to open a .dmp out of a zip archive - nor have I spent any significant time trying to figure this out..
    Nor have I ever setup my system to open .dmp files with WinDbg or kd.exe Inor have I setup the file association for .dmp).
    I am unable to drag/drop a .dmp from a zip archive into WinDbg - and never have been able to do so as long as explorer.exe has supported opening zip archives

My workaround is to drag the .dmp files out of the zip archive and into my BSOD analysis directory - and then run kd.exe/WinDbg from there..

This behavior didn't change when I upgraded to the new Win10 tools. But, I have to wonder if the tight integration of WinDbg with Visual Studio may have affected the way that the debugger is setup on your system.

FYI - I am not a WinDbg expert. I use a relatively few commands to extract info from the dump files. Those that are more familiar with the debugger will generally request full/kernel dumps. I don't do that because the amount of work/time spent on coaxing info out of full/kernel dumps isn't very productive and (IME) rarely results in helping users. The extra commands/functions are very useful for driver developers - but users generally can't fix the things that driver developers are looking for.

usasma, Apr 14, 2015
  15. Boozad Win User
    John, does this method not work using 7Zip?

Attachment 16825

Boozad, Apr 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Debugging Tools for Windows 10 Question - Similar Threads - Debugging Tools Question

2. DNS NSlookup Debugging question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS NSlookup Debugging question: I have been searching the internet and have not found the answer to my question and I don't know if this is the correct location to ask it. BUT when you are using the exhaustive debugging set d2 option of nslookup, it seems to omit information? Either that or I don't know how...
  3. DNS NSlookup Debugging question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS NSlookup Debugging question: I have been searching the internet and have not found the answer to my question and I don't know if this is the correct location to ask it. BUT when you are using the exhaustive debugging set d2 option of nslookup, it seems to omit information? Either that or I don't know how...
  4. DNS NSlookup Debugging question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Media Creation Tool Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Creation Tool Question: Hi guys, my pc has been acting up recently so i wanted to reset it, however, I found that I wouldn't have the time to reinstall all my apps and games so I then switched over to the media creation tool. Theres one problem though, my pc was pre built and when we bought it, we...
  6. Snipping Tool question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snipping Tool question: I want to add a Symbol to my picture that I have snipped. It is not in Shapes, so I can't use that. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool-question/e480ac9b-7bea-4ab1-a252-2afc995c550c
  7. Windows 10 Debugging Tools not installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Debugging Tools not installed: Hi, I've been trying to install debugging tools according to the official pages but there is no Debuggers folder created and I cannot find windbg.exe anywhere in the system. I tried installing through the winsdksetup.exe installer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...
  8. Snipping Tool Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snipping Tool Question: Hello all. I am using the Snipping Tool app for the first time to take screenshots. I really like it (I used to do PrtSc and then paste into Paint). But I have one question. Is there a way to add a border around the screenshot in the Snipping Tool? That can be done in...
  9. Media Creation Tool Question (Windows 10 Redstone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Media Creation Tool Question (Windows 10 Redstone): Hello, If I were to download the Media Creation Tool, August 2nd, at 12:00am Central Time, would I be able to download Windows 10 Redstone (1607; Anniversary Update)? I do have a MCT already downloaded, can I still use it? Or do I have to download another MCT? I...
  10. Windows 10 media creation tool questions ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 media creation tool questions ?: Hello & Thanks , I couldn't find a Windows 10 Forum , so here goes: Windows 10 went crazy on me . It kept flashing running programs looping them over an over . And wouldn't let me type anything in. So I managed to get it to reinstalling windows 10. I took the shorter...