Windows 10: Dec 2016 Win10 updates cause lag and missing, empty context menus

Discus and support Dec 2016 Win10 updates cause lag and missing, empty context menus in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Thanks everyone for the ad. I have a previously stable quad core Asus MB PC which since the most recent Aniversary updates has become almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bemused, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bemused Win User

Dec 2016 Win10 updates cause lag and missing, empty context menus

Hi
    Thanks everyone for the ad. I have a previously stable quad core Asus MB PC which since the most recent Aniversary updates has become almost unusable. Right click menus only display the shadow line and are otherwise invisible. Moving the mouse over them leaves a pointer trail resembling a PaintshopPro paint tube. Hovering over the top right close box sometimes restores the text but this can take up to a minute. Folders in tree menus in Explorer or Outlook don't highlight so one can't be sure if they are selected and even desktop icons are affected, moving one doesn't appear to work but after a [long delay the icon will jump to it's new position. I'm assuming the updates were the culprit as I have reverted to a month old image which doesn't seem affected, however the updates reinstall and it becomes unusable. At the moment I'm using the old image on wifi with metered chosen to hopefully block the automatic updates. I tend to use the Microsoft onscreen keyboard for banking etc and that displays as an empty pane with just a shadow indicating its size. The PC is an H81-M Plus with a Haswell quad processor, 16g DDR3 and a Samsung SSD C: drive. I did use the Asus windows EZ updater on the Bios a few days earlier [rather than direct USB] but it seemed to go ok. I even put in a GT730 video card [1G] in case the onboard video I'd been using wasn't compatible [no drivers since 2015] but that didn't help. Any suggestions would be most welcome..by the way programs seem unaffected the problem seeming to be 'overlays' for the want of a better description. I've been assuming it's windows updates causing the problem but After a day of using the trouble free image, the problem is reoccuring so perhaps updating the Bios through windows has fritzed it? Thanks to any replies in advance, short of buying a new MB and starting again I'm stumped.

:)

Bemused, Dec 12, 2016

2. "Send To" Menu Blank After Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

I just encountered the same issue after a major Win10 update.

There was a Zero byte (corrupted) Bluetooth shortcut in the Send To folder

This corrupted shortcut caused the Send To context menu to freeze showing only one item

- with the mouse Busy circle (ex hourglass) displaying for 40 seconds or so

Navigating to the Send To folder and deleting any Zero byte shortcut(s) fixed the problem

- all the other shortcuts in the folder then appeared on the Send To context menu.

DougCuk_42, Dec 12, 2016
  3. Context Menu Opens By Itself - Windows 10 Pro

Had to take a day off to have the motherboard in the machine replaced. Windows 10 has not been stable on this machine since new on Dec 11, 2016 and I did try what you suggested but there is no access to the WWW and when I rebooted back to normal the context
    menu continues to pop up on its own.

I use CCleaner regularly as a way to cope with Windows Rot.

Do appreciate your comments Romel

Clinton Gallagher, Dec 12, 2016
  4. Dec 2016 Win10 updates cause lag and missing, empty context menus

Welcome.

You didn't mention resetting your BIOS (UEFI) so ...

If you think it is BIOS have you reset it by removing power cord, removing CMOS battery and holding power button for 20 seconds. I saw in one manual for a board like yours they suggested placing jumper on CLRTC headers instead of using power button. Check your manual for "Approved" method.

Caledon Ken, Dec 13, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    The bios settings are not going to cause the issues that the OP is having.

bro67, Dec 13, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Did you reinstall the motherboard drivers from ASUS for the Network drivers? All of the extra ASUS software like ezupdater are not needed, nor are any other type of setup programs. You do not need a new Motherboard, just because Windows updates installed a bad set of drivers.

You need to set in System in Control panel that Windows update does not update device drivers. You can also roll back to before the update, or use a image to restore from if you have any type of backup software running.

Usually the problem is pre-existing and not even from the latest update. The problems just tend to rear their ugly head when Microsoft tries to fix a flaw with Windows.

bro67, Dec 13, 2016
  7. Certainly not to argue however the Asus manual, and it warns you must follow these instructions to complete a task, states in the update instructions "Ensure to load the BIOS default settings to ensure system compatibility and stability". Bemused also said he later added a video card. There are those on the Asus forum that even suggest loading defaults before and after the BIOS update and resetting when adding hardware to allow the motherboard to sense all changes. The power reset ensures everything is cleared and set to default.

If I could please ask, after seeing all the drivers Asus specifies for their board on Windows 10 why just the Asus network driver. They specify drivers for all sorts of components on the H81M-P Plus for chipsets, MEI, graphics through storage for Windows 10. Thank you.

8. bro67 Win User

Again the Bios does not need flashed in this case. It has zero affect on the updates that is giving the OP problems. The Bios can be set to Legacy and no security and the computer will just run fine.

Windows Update has been known to place incorrect drivers on computers, that has caused machines to crash. This has been going on since Windows 2k.

bro67, Dec 13, 2016
  9. Bemused Win User
    Thanks for the reply Ken, no I didn't in fact first time of Bios update so I just followed Asus directions and no mention of resetting! The 81-M Plus doesn't use the USB flash method, only an updater app in Windows which I took to mean no need to take the case apart. I'll look into that today ....and thanks

You didn't mention resetting your BIOS (UEFI) so ...

If you think it is BIOS have you reset it by removing power cord, removing CMOS battery and holding power button for 20 seconds. I saw in one manual for a board like yours they suggested placing jumper on CLRTC headers instead of using power button. Check your manual for "Approved" method.[/QUOTE]

Bemused, Dec 13, 2016
  10. Bemused Win User
    Thanks Bro67, I did download and install the available drivers from Asus [chipset, LAN etc] which didn't help. For some reason the most recent video driver was 2015 which is what prompted me to buy a GT730 video card which came with Win10 drivers...also didn't help. A reverted image does work initially but seems to degrade within a day the errors mounting slowly. Currently hovering over the top right close button seems to restore otherwise invisible missing context menus but copying such things as email addresses or ebay item numbers is impossible as the lag is too great. So you feel it's a driver issue?

Bemused, Dec 13, 2016
  11. Bemused Win User
    I took your helpful replies on board and reverted to my saved image. Turned off the automatic driver updates " No I'll do it myself" or words to that effect. and by refusing the wealth of Logitech etc driver updates, so far so good. Desktop icons move instantly and all menus are visible....so far.

Bemused, Dec 13, 2016
  12. Great news.

Usually you don't have to take case apart to update BIOS. There is an option within BIOS to load Optimized Defaults. The full reset is to be absolutely sure.

The procedure is outlined in your manual found here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81...lpDesk_Manual/
    on page 1-10 Section 1-6 Clear RTC Ram. You may also want to check section 2.1.2.

13. Bemused Win User

Thanks again Ken, this has been a great response from the tenforum and I am much obliged to you and Bro67. I'm 70 years old and within my circle of friends I have no one with whom I can confer on PC matters. All the options I have are mine or Googled so it's great to have some erudite suggestions. I've saved another image with the auto updates turned off and just the new Asus graphics driver loaded so will try that for a day. I'll check the Bios meantime as you suggest and post the results.

Bemused, Dec 13, 2016
  14. Bemused Win User
    Thanks to Caledon Ken and Bro67. Seemed not to have been the Bios, I loaded defaults and no change. In the end I figured Bro67 had a point, the installation I considered stable was in fact a clean Win7 updated to 10 and probably > four years old. I bit the bullet and reinstalled 10 and prevented windows updating drivers and....all seem fine. The worst part in the end was reinstalling Outlook which despite having a backup took hours [how does anyone end up with 41 000 emails?]. Thanks again for the input guys.

Bemused, Dec 19, 2016
  15. AddRAM Win User
    By not deleting their email LOL *Shock

Is there some reason you use Outlook ?

AddRAM, Dec 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Dec 2016 Win10 updates cause lag and missing, empty context menus - Similar Threads - Dec 2016 Win10

2. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  3. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  4. Games lag in menus???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games lag in menus???: Hi, I've had an issue with almost all games for some time now, where the menus for the games will lag. Whenever I'm in the game, it runs perfectly fine, but when I'm in places such as the lobby in COD, Battlefield, even MSFS, the menus will drop to around 4 frames, making it...
  5. Games lag in menus???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Games lag in menus???: Hi, I've had an issue with almost all games for some time now, where the menus for the games will lag. Whenever I'm in the game, it runs perfectly fine, but when I'm in places such as the lobby in COD, Battlefield, even MSFS, the menus will drop to around 4 frames, making it...
  6. Windows 10 20H2 update missing context menus when right click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 20H2 update missing context menus when right click: Just curious if anyone else has had the same or similar issues when it came to updating to the latest windows 10 update. submitted by /u/WorshipingAtheist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m4wro1/windows_10_20h2_update_missing_context_menus_when/
  7. Edit or an editor for the context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit or an editor for the context menus: My context menu is a mess. Items that I never use, or apps added themselves but not wanted, and vice versa. Older apps that offer setting to be listed, no longer work function in W10 1909. I am trying to add them manually and remove those which I don't want. e.g: I have...
  8. OneDrive sometimes missing from Office apps' context menus

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneDrive sometimes missing from Office apps' context menus: Hi all, OneDrive is sometimes missing from the context menus (Open, Save, etc.) in Office apps (Word, Excel, etc.) when I open them; this can happen both when opening them for the first time after a system restart and when re-opening after closing them without a system...
  9. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  10. Taskbar menus lag

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar menus lag: Hello I have some kind of lag opening desktop taskbar , it only happens on first boot or while coming back from suspend. my pc is i7 6700k 16gb ram and ssd i tried to disable lan and problem still persist [img] is it normal on windows 10 to be so laggy to open a...