Windows 10: Deceased husband - change the administrator on his laptop

Discus and support Deceased husband - change the administrator on his laptop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My husband unexpectedly died in December. I have access to his laptop we were open with our passwords and have only just felt ready to switch his... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ArwenC, Aug 3, 2020.

1. ArwenC Win User

Deceased husband - change the administrator on his laptop

My husband unexpectedly died in December. I have access to his laptop we were open with our passwords and have only just felt ready to switch his laptop on so I can transfer any photos etc. I want to keep it, always good to have a spare but I don't like seeing his name on it, I want to completely delete/change the microsoft account tied to it. He is the administrator on this laptop Windows 10, there are no other user accounts attached to it. How do I do this? I may want to give this laptop to our daughter, she certainly doesn't need to see his name and info on there. Thank you for any help in this sensitive situation.

:)

ArwenC, Aug 3, 2020
  2. RB1050 Win User

Admin User and password - Deceased Husband

I have the same question. Deceased husband and trying to update the software. Anyone had any luck or can you make a recommendation?

RB1050, Aug 3, 2020
  3. S-and-S Win User
    Need to access deceased husband's profile

I'm very sorry for your loss. May you find comfort in happy memories.

If you are familiar with technical procedures, you can perform these steps on your own. Otherwise it would be worth your while to have a professional perform them:

1- Before going any further, make an image of your husband's computer's hard drive and store the image on an external hard drive. You don't need a password to do this, but you do need to have image backup software installed on your computer.

Even if his computer completely breaks down and is unusable, you will still have a good copy of his hard drive.

2- When you have physical control of a computer, you are able to access everything and anything on the hard drive, regardless of whether or not you know the password, and there are many ways to do this. Your method of choice depends on what, exactly, you
    wish to do.

3- If all you want to do is to retrieve your late husband's files from his user account, you don't need to actually log in to his account to do that. There are several ways to copy his files without logging in.

For example, you can mount the image backup suggested above to your hard drive and copy his files to your computer. This is an easy way to retrieve his files. The biggest complication you might run into is that you'll be denied access to his files because
    they're not yours to open. This can easily be remedied by signing in to an Administrators account and 'taking ownership.' (That is the correct technical term.)

4- If you really would rather log in to your husband's account on his own computer, that too is possible but it will be more difficult. You will need to have access to an Administrators account on his computer, which means that you'll need to know the
    account's password.

Even without knowing the Administrators account password, you can still gain access from the Administrator (no 's') account, but that too is complicated. Once you gain access to the computer through either account, you can reset the password to your husband's
    account and thus gain entry.

I really feel that mounting an image and copying his files is the easiest way to go. This way, your late husband's legacy will live on to entertain more generations. Best wishes to you.

S-and-S, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Santana57 Win User

Admin User and password - Deceased Husband

My husband passed away in March 2017, I found all his passwords for all accounts, except for this administrator of this laptop. When we purchased this laptop from dell we had problems and Dell representative created an admin and gave my husband the password.
    Unfortunately I do not know this password and trying to do updates on my computer. I have updated everything on Microsoft with the exception of Admin user info. I do not have a disk and have a lot of info stored on this computer, what do I do now? Now I am
    being sent Microsoft updates asking me to sign on as Admin to download the updates... I understand your policy, but why you cannot do it with verification to the owner is beyond me.

Santana57, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Deceased husband - change the administrator on his laptop - Similar Threads - Deceased husband change

2. my husband changed to administrator and cannot logon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my husband changed to administrator and cannot logon: my husband changed himself as administrator and cannot logon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-husband-changed-to-administrator-and-cannot/58eafc04-6574-453c-b0fd-5ab1dad4e814
  3. my husband changed to administrator and cannot logon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my husband changed to administrator and cannot logon: my husband changed himself as administrator and cannot logon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-husband-changed-to-administrator-and-cannot/58eafc04-6574-453c-b0fd-5ab1dad4e814
  4. my husband changed to administrator and cannot logon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deceased Husband - Administrator on HP Envy Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deceased Husband - Administrator on HP Envy Laptop: Hello,My husband died and with him the administrator password and pin to all of the household laptops HP Envy. He was the administrator on all of them. I've tried everything to get in Pin and Password. How can I get in? Yes, there's a hint but I can't crack that either....
  6. Deceased Husband - Administrator on HP Envy Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deceased Husband - Administrator on HP Envy Laptop: Hello,My husband died and with him the administrator password and pin to all of the household laptops HP Envy. He was the administrator on all of them. I've tried everything to get in Pin and Password. How can I get in? Yes, there's a hint but I can't crack that either....
  7. Deceased Husband - Administrator on HP Envy Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. My husband cannot sign into his windows account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My husband cannot sign into his windows account.: My husband cannot sign into his Windows account. I have tried everything recommended and still doesn't work. My last message from you said his account may have to be handled by you....
  9. Husband laid off & his company gave us his laptop but no admin password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Husband laid off & his company gave us his laptop but no admin password: Can I buy a new Windows OS with a fresh install to remove the previous information etc on an old work laptop? Specifically admin privileges, I can't get in to that account to change settings. We have access to his account on the computer but not the Admin account. I can't...
  10. Need to access deceased husband's profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Need to access deceased husband's profile: Hi, My husband passed away a couple of years ago but the laptop he used to use is starting to break down and I need to get into his profile to back up all his documents. He was a writer and wrote lots of stories, not published, which I want to try and publish or save for...