Windows 10: December 2018 - Update stuck on restart screen

Discus and support December 2018 - Update stuck on restart screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I woke up this morning and started my computer, I first had an update for Firefox so I updated and it took forever. After the update, Firefox was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jcscrogs, Dec 14, 2018.

1. jcscrogs Win User

December 2018 - Update stuck on restart screen

When I woke up this morning and started my computer, I first had an update for Firefox so I updated and it took forever. After the update, Firefox was taking forever to just load Google, and it wouldnt even load my email so I went to restart Windows and saw there was an update, so I did what I alwys do and clicked on update and restart. It went up to 30% pretty quickly so I thought this was going to be a quick update, but after that the progress disappeared and it has been stuck on the Restarting screen with the spinning dots ever since, this was about an hour ago give or take. I dont know which update this is, but am wondering do I continue waiting or do I do something like force restart?

:)

jcscrogs, Dec 14, 2018

2. Microsoft December 2018 Security Updates

Security Update Guide
    > Release Notes
    Release Notes
    December 2018 Security Updates
    Release Date: December 11, 2018

The December security release consists of security updates for the following software:

• Adobe Flash Player
    • Internet Explorer
    • Microsoft Edge
    • Microsoft Windows
    • Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
    • ChakraCore
    • .NET Framework
    • Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    • Microsoft Exchange Server
    • Microsoft Visual Studio
    • Windows Azure Pack (WAP)
    Please note the following information regarding the security updates:

• A list of the latest servicing stack updates for each operating system can be found in

ADV990001
      . This list will be updated whenever a new servicing stack update is released. It is important to install the latest servicing stack update.
    • Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the

Microsoft Update Catalog
    • Starting in March 2017, a delta package will be available on the Microsoft Update Catalog for Windows 10 version 1607 and newer. This delta package contains just the delta changes between the previous month and the current release.
    • Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via

Windows Update
    • For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see

Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet
    • In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
    The following CVEs have FAQs with additional information and may include * further steps to take after installing the updates.

Known Issues

{{windowTitle}}

NICK ADSL UK, Dec 14, 2018
  3. windows update stuck at installation screen and cannot get to desktop

Hi Sue,

To understand the issue better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Is the computer stuck in the Installing updates screen?
    • For how long is the computer stuck in the screen?
    • When was the computer last updated?
    • Is the screen showing any percentage of installation?

Sometimes the installation might take a long time to install if the update is of large size. So, I suggest you to wait for sometime and check if the system boots to the desktop. If it is taking a longer time, then perform a Power Drain by following the steps
    provided below:

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 14, 2018
  4. qubit Win User

i update bios then black screen ???? pls help me 980ti

@smoka Great you fixed it and would be interesting to know how you did it. Care to list the basic steps you took to do it so that it can help others stuck in the same situation?

qubit, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

1. December 2018 - Update stuck on restart screen - Similar Threads - December 2018 Update

2. Windows 11 December 2021 update stuck on restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 December 2021 update stuck on restarting: Hi,I followed the prompt to install the most recent Dec21 windows update and it has been stuck on restarting for almost an hour. The update said it would take 6 minutes. I have tried force power down but when it comes back on it still says it is restarting. Any suggestions...
  3. Windows 11 December 2021 update stuck on restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 December 2021 update stuck on restarting: Hi,I followed the prompt to install the most recent Dec21 windows update and it has been stuck on restarting for almost an hour. The update said it would take 6 minutes. I have tried force power down but when it comes back on it still says it is restarting. Any suggestions...
  4. Windows 10 December 2018 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 December 2018 update: Since the December 2018 Windows 10 update I have had nothing put problems. Here are a few. My scanner on my HP all in one computer is not working. I can't scan from scanner to computer and vice versa. Keyboard back lights are not working after computer start up....
  5. Microsoft update December 2018 crashed my computer

Microsoft update December 2018 crashed my computer: I have a 3 week old Lenovo Legion T530 desktop computer. This is the first Windows update and it has crashed my machine. It will not boot and I just get the Blue screen with various options that do not work. Thank you Microsoft for screwing up a new computer and possibly my...
  6. Microsoft update December 2018

Microsoft update December 2018: Since a Windows update on 12th December 2018, my computer has been running, or is that crawling(?) along at a ridiculously slow pace. Why is this and what can be done to get back normal speed?...
  7. Microsoft December 2018 Security Updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft December 2018 Security Updates: Security Update Guide > Release Notes Release Notes December 2018 Security Updates Release Date: December 11, 2018 The December security release consists of security updates for the following software: Adobe Flash Player Internet Explorer Microsoft Edge Microsoft Windows...
  8. December 2018 Office Update Release

in Windows 10 News
    December 2018 Office Update Release: Introduction Microsoft released the following security and nonsecurity updates for Office in December 2018. These updates are intended to help our customers keep their computers up-to-date. We recommend that you install all updates that apply to you. To download an update,...
  9. December 2018 Non-Security Office Update Release

in Windows 10 News
    December 2018 Non-Security Office Update Release: Listed below are the non-security updates we released on the Download Center and Microsoft Update today. See the linked KB articles for more information. Office 2010 Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4227172) Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4461579) Office 2013...
  10. Quick access bugged after December 2018 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access bugged after December 2018 update: Hi After yesterdays (04-12-2018) windows update my quick access looks wrong. It functions the same, but it doesn't sort the files and folder like it used to...(img1) When uploading image here i noticed that it worked as normal in the upload filebrowser.. (img2)... How do...