Windows 10: December 2018 Win10 update trashes PC boot

Discus and support December 2018 Win10 update trashes PC boot in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am absolutely furious at the latest update which has trashed the boot process of my PC. Just before Christmas, I signed out of my PC, noticing it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnD, Dec 28, 2018.

1. JohnD Win User

December 2018 Win10 update trashes PC boot

I am absolutely furious at the latest update which has trashed the boot process of my PC.

Just before Christmas, I signed out of my PC, noticing it said "Update and restart". I clicked, saw the screen indicating the progess of the update and left the room while it did its business. I returned later to see the Automatic Repair in process.

I then got stuck in an Automatic Repair, and soon got out my repair disc and 64Gb stick with Win10.To my surprise, the USB ports were not listed in the UEFI boot sequence (though the mouse and keyboard worked) and I could not boot from the DVD drive nor the C: ("0") drive.

I could read the files on the C: drive and DVD drive from the Command Prompt option. The automatic repair option found the restore created when the update started but failed to complete. Then I discovered all restore items were absent. I tried various suggestions on the MS help page but they all failed to complete. Just about all off them started by saying boot from USB or DVD, neither of which work.

It seems to me the whole boot setup has become corrupted, both on the C: drive and the UEFI.

I have ordered a replace (identical) AS Rock mo-bo, and will rebuild the PC.

And this has happened before, when I originally upgraded to Win10 from the previous version of Windows. (There's a thread here about somewhere - https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1758928 )

Unbelievable.

:)

JohnD, Dec 28, 2018
  2. JohnD Win User

I am absolutely furious at the latest update which has trashed the boot process of my PC.

Just before Christmas, I signed out of my PC, noticing it said "Update and restart". I clicked, saw the screen indicating the progess of the update and left the room while it did its business. I returned later to see the Automatic Repair in process.

I then got stuck in an Automatic Repair, and soon got out my repair disc and 64Gb stick with Win10.To my surprise, the USB ports were not listed in the UEFI boot sequence (though the mouse and keyboard worked) and I could not boot from the DVD drive nor the C: ("0") drive.

I could read the files on the C: drive and DVD drive from the Command Prompt option. The automatic repair option found the restore created when the update started but failed to complete. Then I discovered all restore items were absent. I tried various suggestions on the MS help page but they all failed to complete. Just about all off them started by saying boot from USB or DVD, neither of which work.

It seems to me the whole boot setup has become corrupted, both on the C: drive and the UEFI.

I have ordered a replace (identical) AS Rock mo-bo, and will rebuild the PC.

And this has happened before, when I originally upgraded to Win10 from the previous version of Windows. (There's a thread here about somewhere - windows 10 update 1511 fail - Microsoft: Windows - Tek-Tips )

Unbelievable.

JohnD, Jan 16, 2020
  3. JohnD Win User

I saw the files via the command prompt option in the Automatic Recovery menu.

Whatever you say, an update and restart should not trash the UEFI, the boot procedure and the boot secotrs of C:.

JohnD, Jan 16, 2020
  4. emailx45 Win User

i have 1803 in use and before i never had any BSOD error ... later try update it with new updates only problem of boot BSOD mainly if

kb4477137
    KB4477137 Servicing stack update for Windows 10 v1803 - Dec. 11 Windows Update - Windows 10 Forums

any update avoid Spectre etc... attacks is installed.

my solution:

1) delete all content of Windows\SoftwareDistr8bution + CatRoot + CatRoot2
    2) uninstall the SSU update (Spectre patch etc...)

3) install last update
    December 19, 2018 - KB4483234 (OS Build 17134.472) and BSOD stop appears.

now, for while is working ... fingers crossed!

Microsoft is losted and we're payng for that.
    ;(

MSWindows 10 Pro 1803
    Intel i7 4770K no overclock
    Asus Sabertooth z87
    8gb corsair vengeance at 1866mhz
    ssd 120 corsair plus
    PSU tm650x corsair

emailx45, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

1. December 2018 Win10 update trashes PC boot - Similar Threads - December 2018 Win10

2. My HDMI port doesn't work after 5th December 2018 update (Win10)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My HDMI port doesn't work after 5th December 2018 update (Win10): My problem is very clear. After the 5th December 2018 upgrade, my HDMI port stopped work. I can't switch between my laptop screen to the external one. The monitor and HDMI cable works with other PCs. I was trying to upgrade and even downgrade graphics cards drivers - no...
  3. Windows 10 December 2018 update

Windows 10 December 2018 update: Since the December 2018 Windows 10 update I have had nothing put problems. Here are a few. My scanner on my HP all in one computer is not working. I can't scan from scanner to computer and vice versa. Keyboard back lights are not working after computer start up....
  4. Microsoft update December 2018 crashed my computer

Microsoft update December 2018 crashed my computer: I have a 3 week old Lenovo Legion T530 desktop computer. This is the first Windows update and it has crashed my machine. It will not boot and I just get the Blue screen with various options that do not work. Thank you Microsoft for screwing up a new computer and possibly my...
  5. Windows Update Caused PC Crash December 17th 2018

Windows Update Caused PC Crash December 17th 2018: Good morning, As usual, Windows update slowed my computer down with an unannounced, unplanned update, on a Monday morning, interrupting productivity and eventually crashing the system, causing me to lose an estimated 2 hours of work despite saving at a recommended...
  6. Microsoft update December 2018

Microsoft update December 2018: Since a Windows update on 12th December 2018, my computer has been running, or is that crawling(?) along at a ridiculously slow pace. Why is this and what can be done to get back normal speed?...
  7. December 2018 - Update stuck on restart screen

December 2018 - Update stuck on restart screen: When I woke up this morning and started my computer, I first had an update for Firefox so I updated and it took forever. After the update, Firefox was taking forever to just load Google, and it wouldnt even load my email so I went to restart Windows and saw there was an...
  8. Microsoft December 2018 Security Updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft December 2018 Security Updates: Security Update Guide > Release Notes Release Notes December 2018 Security Updates Release Date: December 11, 2018 The December security release consists of security updates for the following software: Adobe Flash Player Internet Explorer Microsoft Edge Microsoft Windows...
  9. December 2018 Office Update Release

in Windows 10 News
    December 2018 Office Update Release: Introduction Microsoft released the following security and nonsecurity updates for Office in December 2018. These updates are intended to help our customers keep their computers up-to-date. We recommend that you install all updates that apply to you. To download an update,...
  10. Quick access bugged after December 2018 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access bugged after December 2018 update: Hi After yesterdays (04-12-2018) windows update my quick access looks wrong. It functions the same, but it doesn't sort the files and folder like it used to...(img1) When uploading image here i noticed that it worked as normal in the upload filebrowser.. (img2)... How do...