Windows 10: Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

Discus and support Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello I've been following Windows 10 forum on and off and after we got a new PC and went from Win 7 to Win 10 I figured I'd join and start asking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by StarSeeker, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

Hello

I've been following Windows 10 forum on and off and after we got a new PC and went from Win 7 to Win 10 I figured I'd join and start asking questions.

We got a new PC...Cyberpower having issues with a HP and Windows 7...hardware and software. We really haven't put much on the new pc yet waiting to tackle how and what to backup as we add. The new PC is set up with two hard drives...a SSD with the OS and anther one for programs, files, document, videos and pictures.

I pulled two hard drives from a older PC with Windows XP and have an external hard drive...a 500gig I pulled from a PS4 after upgrading. That was in an external docking station from Thermaltake Black X Duet. That one has the OS and files from the older PC. I also have everything backed up to DVD discs.

We really don't do lots of personal work on the pc...gaming, emails, pictures and video editing, music, resumes, some scan files and such and it's not like everyday.

I've ben looking at both AOMEI and Macrium and still undecided. I like the easy GIU interface with AOMEI and seems to provide a lot while Macrium has more bells and whistles and gives you more options but seems to have a lot going on.

I want to pull everything off the older drives to a temp directory on the newer drive...it's 4TB so no worries there...and then put it all on a new 4TB in the External Docking Station. I then want to wipe the smaller 500gig drive and just put the OS from "C" on it. Sadly the "C-Drive" also has a couple of programs and Documents that I guess can stay and just do a complete backup of "C".

I'm concerned about the file format and compression as to accessing later and if I end up using another program. I prefer not to compress my video and pictures at this time especially if it risks changing their attributes; plus the cost of Hard drives make it no big deal and that's why I got a External Docking Station. I just need something to do a full and maybe once a week swapping out the hard drives in the docking station and doing a full one along with the Rescue Media....
    .....which I wanted to ask...can I span multiple discs if I wanted to or is it better to just get a 20+ gig Flash Drive?

Probably have more but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling and get settled in with which program. Sorry for the long post but better to explain fully than half. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Kenny and Alice

:)

StarSeeker, Apr 13, 2017
  2. johnptd Win User

Unable to backup or do a system image.

It is called Backup and Restore (Windows 7) because it is basically the same utility that was used for Windows 7 and Microsoft (for some unknown reason) decided not to change the name or dialog boxes. Don't be concerned about it. You might want to consider
    a better alternative: Macrium Reflect. It has a "free" version that works very well.

JohnD

johnptd, Apr 13, 2017
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Missing create recover cd and backup programs in win 10

Microsoft is slowly trying to get out of the backup program. They suggest user find themselves a separate software backup method. Might read about the depreciated

SIB here.

Personally I've switched to using the AOMEI Backupper . Fairly simple. EaseUs ToDo & Macrium Reflect are popular too.

'Mike P, Apr 13, 2017
  4. Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

I went through the same thing of choosing about a year or so ago.
    I tried Aomei and Macrium Reflect. For me Macrium Reflect worked easier and did a great job.
    Plus Aomei to my knowledge comes from China and Macrium Reflect comes from the England. (UK)
    I chose fish and chips over chop sticks.

That being said; It's been a year ago. Both programs have changed as most everything in computing does in a year.
    I use Macrium Reflect to this day without problems.

I'm thinking a method to help in your choice would be to watch several videos on both programs.
    That should help in your decision making.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 13, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    I think they are much of a muchness.

There is tutorial here for Macrium (Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials ) and I couldn't find one for AOMIE.

I was converted to Macrium from the native system image as everyone on this forum always recommended it. I guess it doesn't make much odds what you use (as long as you use something) but I'm quite happy with it fwiw.

6. A few years back, I was looking for a replacement for Acronis. I had used that backup tool for 10 years but with their re-vamping of the UI, I wanted out. Today I have a paid version of MR and a free version of AOMEI. Comparing these two, MR is more robust and is much faster in creating backups. To the OP, you should not have any concerns on the integrity of the backup data. Just about any backup software solution prides itself on quality restoration. Your video files will be fine even when using compression and I would recommend using the standard default compression that these two use. The OP should be more concerned with how many backups and where are they stored. Doesn't do any good to back your systems up to an external drive/NAS etc. and they are in the same location as your system. I do offsite backups once per month (one to a local fireproof safe and one in another location). I also have duplicate local backups of my more important data ie duplicate backups. You may call me obsessed, but I've seen many situations where the customer said "I thought I had that backed up", but sadly they lost their backup. So I would recommend Macrium Reflect for yet another reason. The UK speaks Queens English, China doesn't and when you need support help, you don't want to hire a translator.

storageman, Apr 13, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

My vote goes without any doubt for Macrium Reflect Free.
    I've tried both programs but MR is faster and absolutely reliable. Industrial grade I'd say.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 15, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

Macrium deals properly with selecting all the necessary partitions for 'Windows Backup' whereas last I knew, Aomei didn't. (Just tried its System Backup - it appears superficially to omit the 16Mb partition)

Aomei's image wasn't compatible with a Laplink product which uses images to transfer programs from one PC to another (permissions error).

Aomei's error messages on the simplest of situations -e.g. external disk not present or allocated a different drive letter- are unhelpful- indeed in that situation, it takes a while for the problem to be detected, the backup seeming to start.

These may well have changed since I last tried Aomei.

Aomei free includes incremental imaging- Macrium free doesn't.

You can't post on Macrium's forum as a free user.

Both products are updated fairly frequently.

For a Chinese product, the English is pretty good, but you can immediately tell it's not native:
    Incremental backup refers to back up the changed and new added data based on the first full backup or the last backup. Incremental backup will not back up the identical data based on the last backup. Incremental backup is on the basis of the last backup, so that there will be a mutual dependent relationship between them two.

There are tutorials on Aomei's site, although not on tenforums as far as I know.
    System Backup, Backup Disk, Schedule Backup, Disk Clone - AOMEI Backupper Features
    AOMEI Backupper Video Tutorials

dalchina, Apr 15, 2017
  9. I use both, as a matter of fact, I make a restore partition on my hd using Aomei free OneKey, then I use Macrium Reflect to image the whole thing to an external drive.

Indeed, my Windows 7 machines, have three redundancies:

Each one has an Aomei OneKey partition, a Macrium Reflect image, and a native Windows 7 image.

I no longer use Acronis, Ghost, or any other "commercial" backup solution.

Khzyvfonhes, Apr 28, 2017
  10. btbuz Win User
    I've used them all over the years. I just recently found Aomei and have switched to that for local images. With others I have had problems completing the backup. Aomei is easy to use (once I figured out how to make the menu larger). I also use BackBlaze on my main machine which provides unlimited storage for all attached drives. That gives me backup of my backups.

btbuz, Apr 28, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you want
    - clear error messages
    - images that work with Laplink products to transfer programs to a new PC
    - a boot disk with a good repair tool for boot problems

use Macrium rather than Aomei.

But if you need
    - a free program which offers both incremental and differential imaging
    - a simpler user interface
    use Aomei.

I finally switched from Aomei when I couldn't see how to back up Win 10 with all relevant partitions (maybe they've moved on since then) to Macrium, which makes partition selection for that both automatic and visible.

I also dislike the way Aomei, if it doesn't have access to the previously created image set, will spend some time appearing to start creating an incremental or differential image, before finally proffering a very unclear message which doesn't indicate that that's the case. (For example, if you plug in an external drive with your images on it and it's allocated a different drive letter to that which Aomei expects for that image).

(There is a relatively easy way of making sure the drive is allocated the same letter using Drive Management).

Oops- just realised I made similar comments above - a long time ago!

dalchina, Apr 28, 2017
  12. RolandJS Win User
    Good pay-fors are Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows; there are many freebies that do the job very well. I add this recommendation: have two external hard-drives doing the backups, one after the other. Awhile back, I had HD A for laptop A and HD B for laptop B...A developed a "logical" error, forcing a re-format, after that, each computer has two dedicated usb external HDs.

RolandJS, Apr 30, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

The free version of Macrium Reflect is perfectly adequate for most home users. However the base paid version (Macrium Reflect Home) is really great with its Rapid Delta Restore, and ability to redeploy images to different hardware in particular.

The ability to mount Macrium images as virtual machines with Viboot is outstanding. In its price range for the basic paid version, nothing else comes remotely close!

cereberus, Apr 30, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

+1 absolutely agree

Free version 99% good enough for most users -- Paid for well worth it for extra features if you use those including restore to different hardware etc.. I'm always messing about with a lot of different types of machines and configurations -- never a single problem with Macrium.

I gave up on ACRONIS about 4 years ago after they hosed up the UI and had a really TOO complicated activation system - Macrium has never let me down and will even handle some types of RAID and most Linux partitions (not LVM though - but that's not a problem as "Clone Disk" rather than image works in this case).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  15. IMHO Macrium Reflect 7.0.2161 is the best on the market. It has save me several times.

Josey Wales, May 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup - Similar Threads - Deciding between AOMEI

2. Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy): My Windows 10 system is Version 1909. I've been a reliable and consistent backer-upper, although until late last year always used Drive-Image. Because Macrium Reflect free edition is more widely-used, and I like it too, I switched to that when I got a new computer. But, as...
  3. Modified Macrium backup

Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  4. AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives

AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives: Recently, I came across what I believe to be an unfortunate design limitation of AOMEI Backupper that seals the deal (IMHO) that Macrium overall is truly is the way to go. Out of curiosity, I recently decided to use AOMEI to backup my Win10 Pro BitLocker encrypted drive (for...
  5. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  6. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...
  7. Macrium and AOMEI...but Veeam Free?

Macrium and AOMEI...but Veeam Free?: Hi guys, since it seems that everybody is disappointed with Acronis for the way is taking with True Image (years ago it saved my life many times, but last test with 2018 with his linux bootable rescue media meesed up my boot configuration), I decided to drop, and look for...
  8. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  9. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...
  10. Aomei backup

Aomei backup: I am trying Aomei backup. When I click on the disc backup it appears that both MBR and C:\ are included but the next step, even after adding the word add, seems to include only C:\. Does anyone know if this invisible MBR is included in the back up? I also would like to ask...