Windows 10: Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

Discus and support Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; IMHO Macrium Reflect 7.0.2161 is the best on the market. It has save me several times. I'll second that! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by StarSeeker, Apr 13, 2017.

1. simrick Win User

Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

I'll second that!

simrick, May 1, 2017
  2. OldMike65 Win User

Got my vote too!!! Best there is *Smile

OldMike65, May 1, 2017
  3. Mexifer Win User
    Can anyone comment on Macrium Image Guardian which is only in the paid version? Supposed to thwart ransomeware. If it works, it seems like a no brainer to pay for it...

Mexifer, Oct 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 4, 2017
  5. Dlambert Win User
    Well, I use Aomei Backupper Standard for months and I haven't find any flaw of this tiny program, which maybe because I have not that much complicated and advanced requirements. All I want is to backup my PC as well as personal stuff to one external drive. Aomei does incremental backup and weekly backup which happen to be my favorite. And it is free. If the OP wants a solution for basic backup, Aomei is not a bad choice.

Dlambert, Oct 19, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    "...Macrium Image Guardian will protect all existing local backup files from un-authorized modification or deletion..."
    Yep, I had to temporarily turn off MIG in order to delete a couple of old MR images, to make room for new ones on my external media.

RolandJS, Oct 19, 2017
  7. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes I'll throw in with the MR crowd, with the 1709 release, I created an image and have attempted 4 times now with out success to install this update. That 4 times I have restored this image I created just before running the 1709 upgrade. I'm perfect until I figure out why 1709 won't work for me.
    This has been true for me since 2012 when I had to leave Acronis because they were unable to restore a booting UEFI Image. I won't look back until MR loses interest in the program and allows it to start failing.

Clintlgm, Oct 19, 2017
  8. Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup

AOMEI is really good. For full backups, it runs a little faster than Macrium, but on Incremental or Differential backups, it is painfully slow vs Macrium. Generating a 4gb incremental file, takes about 2-3 minutes in Macrium and 35 minutes in AOMEI.

storageman, Oct 19, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    I use Macrium, a purchased V6 version. I tried the free V7 but ran into a conflict after the Fall Creator's upgrade so I went back to my V6.

The V7 problem will probably only show up if you use a system monitor such as the "Win Patrol" that I use. With V7 it has an entry in the startup and after the Fall Creator's upgrade every time I started Win I would get a pop up notice from Win Patrol about a "new" Macrium startup program. I checked the Win Patrol pop up to allow but still every time I booted Windows I would get the notice. I finally got tired of it and went back to V6. V6 does everything I need. As far as the "problem", whether its actually Macrium or Win Patrol or even Win 10??? Doesn't matter, for me. But, I still recommend Macrium Reflect.

fireberd, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    I'm another that is now running AOMEI, mainly because of the rumoured imminent demise of Windows own utility (although it made it through to the Fall Update).

AOMEI is the quickest of any program I have used. A couple of minutes to image the C drive and around 1 min for subsequent incremental images. Restores seem to take a couple of minutes to initialise and load the required files (running from within Windows) but then carry out the restore very quickly, just another couple of minutes with an SSD.

Like Macrium and also Windows own imaging utility, AOMEI used with the default Windows VSS technology does not correctly backup and restore a W10 system. No one seems to care or bother over this which I find slightly bizarre......

You will find certain files missing such as Windows Update history and certain personalised settings relating to Photo Gallery and user created albums. There could well be more but these are the ones I have encountered. This is because all these programs use the Windows provided VSS routine. In order to overcome this you should select AOMEI's own proprietary VSS technology from the 'options' and apply it as a global setting.

AOMEI is also feature rich offering various file/folder backup options alongside system imaging, and as a bonus has excellent and helpful support.

Mooly, Oct 19, 2017
  11. Clint Win User
    I have the paid version of AOMEI Backer Upper Pro. It is a good program. On my 250 GB SSD to external HD, it takes about 4 minuets to do about a 40 GB backup. I have had excellent customer support, and very fast. It may be there, but I haven't found how to retrieve just one file from the backup, like you could with Nero Backup.

Clint, Oct 19, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup [​IMG]

Utilities, Explore Image

Page 36 of the Help file available from Menu, User Manual top right of its GUI.

Last I tried ( over a year ago) its images of Windows weren't compatible with Laplink and Easeus programs used to automatically install programs to a new PC or OS build from an image of the previous one. Support confirmed this. May have been corrected by now..? But that won't bother most people.

I didn't like some of the very obscure error messages or the way it failed to handle even the simple case of starting to create an image without the USB drive even connected, and failing to give an appropriate error message.

However it has a much simpler GUI than Macrium.

Beware it keeps backup jobs on C: - which may not be ideal. Maybe that can be moved now.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2017
  13. Clint Win User

Page 36 of the Help file available from Menu, User Manual top right of its GUI.
    Name: 2.jpg
    Views: 0
    Size: 44.7 KB
    Thanks dalchina, I had not got that far. It works, I tried it.

Clint, Oct 20, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    Another great Macrium feature is ViBoot where you can run an existing image backup as a hyper-v VM. The other day, I wanted to check some previous settings, loaded up an image backup in hyper-v and got answer in a few minutes. This feature is in free version.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Deciding between AOMEI or Macrium...basic Backup - Similar Threads - Deciding between AOMEI

2. Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium for dummies? (basic backup strategy): My Windows 10 system is Version 1909. I've been a reliable and consistent backer-upper, although until late last year always used Drive-Image. Because Macrium Reflect free edition is more widely-used, and I like it too, I switched to that when I got a new computer. But, as...
  3. Modified Macrium backup

Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  4. AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives

AOMEI vs Macrium Reflect with BitLocker Encrypted drives: Recently, I came across what I believe to be an unfortunate design limitation of AOMEI Backupper that seals the deal (IMHO) that Macrium overall is truly is the way to go. Out of curiosity, I recently decided to use AOMEI to backup my Win10 Pro BitLocker encrypted drive (for...
  5. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  6. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...
  7. Macrium and AOMEI...but Veeam Free?

Macrium and AOMEI...but Veeam Free?: Hi guys, since it seems that everybody is disappointed with Acronis for the way is taking with True Image (years ago it saved my life many times, but last test with 2018 with his linux bootable rescue media meesed up my boot configuration), I decided to drop, and look for...
  8. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  9. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...
  10. Aomei backup

Aomei backup: I am trying Aomei backup. When I click on the disc backup it appears that both MBR and C:\ are included but the next step, even after adding the word add, seems to include only C:\. Does anyone know if this invisible MBR is included in the back up? I also would like to ask...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. iperius macrium veeam aomei hyper-v