Windows 10: Decrypt EFS Files in New Windows 10 System

Discus and support Decrypt EFS Files in New Windows 10 System in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello Everybody, I know this is a long shot but it is my final attempt. I'll try to be brief: I previously ran my Windows 10 on a laptop with HDD.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by YanAndrew, Nov 17, 2020.

1. YanAndrew Win User

Decrypt EFS Files in New Windows 10 System

Hello Everybody,

I know this is a long shot but it is my final attempt. I'll try to be brief:
    I previously ran my Windows 10 on a laptop with HDD. During that time, I encrypted some files using EFS.
    Then, I decided to switch over to a SSD. I backed up all my files, then took out the HDD, put in the new SSD & clean installed Windows 10. Next, I (stupidly) dban'ed the HDD and installed it in another laptop to run a different OS.

Now, I am unable to open or decrypt the EFS encrypted files because the encryption certificates are obviously no longer in the new Windows 10 system. I have tried using command prompt but it couldn't successfully decrypt the files.

Does anyone know of any other ways or software that's powerful enough to decrypt the EFS encrypted files (I know this is a stupid question because if there was, then EFS will not be good enough an encryption tool), or do I really have to forget about those files completely?

Regards,
    Andrew

:)

YanAndrew, Nov 17, 2020
  2. LemP Win User

decrypting efs file

I assume that you never created a backup key or recovery agent as would have been suggested when you first started using EFS.

The way that Elcomsoft and other data recovery experts attempt to recover encrypted files is to search through the system's hard drive for information that they can use to recreate the decryption key. If you threw away the laptop and its system drive and
    all you have now is the encrypted file itself, you're out of luck.

From Elcomsoft's explanation (Advanced EFS Data Recovery | Elcomsoft Co.Ltd.):

You can always email or call Elcomsoft or one of the other data recovery firms, but I would expect them to tell you the same thing.

3. TairikuOkami, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Ernie San Win User

Decrypt files encrypted with efs system

Hello,

For better assistance, we recommend posting your concern to our IT Professionals on this
    link.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Ernie San, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Decrypt EFS Files in New Windows 10 System - Similar Threads - Decrypt EFS Files

2. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  3. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  4. EFS decryption

EFS decryption: I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to...
  5. EFS decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS decryption: I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to...
  6. EFS decryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to decrypt files encrpted by EFS

Unable to decrypt files encrpted by EFS: hi am facing the problem unable to apply attributes/ unable to decrypt files error 0x80071771:specified file couldn't be decrypted please help in solving this issue....
  8. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

Encryption File System EFS decryption issue: Hello everyone, I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my computer after i noticed malicious program was running and causing problems. I was unable to restore from a known good point so...
  9. How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The EFS or Encrypting File System is a component of the legendary NTFS (New Technology File System). It is available on Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional (Not Home Basic), Windows Server 2003 and newer operating system iterations from Microsoft. It [...] This...
  10. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10: How to: Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 How to Decrypt Files and Folders Encrypted with EFS in Windows 10 The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from...