Windows 10: Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level?

Discus and support Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I hope someone can be kind enough to help me with suggestions on my VM setup. What I have: Windows 10 host. (Motherboard has two LAN ports)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Mr Blob, May 28, 2020.

1. Mr Blob Win User

Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level?

Hi,

I hope someone can be kind enough to help me with suggestions on my VM setup.

What I have:
    Windows 10 host. (Motherboard has two LAN ports)
    Virtualization through Hyper-V or Virtualbox
    1 main router (192.168.1.1)
    1 potential secondary router.

What I want:
    NAT "type" setup. I do not want VM to have access to host or any other device on the network but I want it to have internet access. However, I would like to use router based VPN tunneling only for my VM and would need to have a dedicated IP number. However, I don't want my host to be on a VPN, so I can't use software-based VPN on host.

How
    1) Is it possible to somehow give a dedicated IP for the VM using NAT type of setup in Hyper-V or VirtualBox?

2) If I connect two LAN cables from my Router 1 to my host, can my host have 2 IP addresses in the router? Would it be possible to force all host traffic onto LAN1 so that no traffic goes through LAN2, except the VM? That would give me the option of doing router based VPN based in IP address.

3) If I connect my host to 2 routers (Router1 for host) and Router2 intended for VPN tunneling, could this be done in a similar fashion as above? Force all host traffic onto Router1, except the VM that would be forced onto router2? If that is the case, then Router 2 could be main router after ISP modem (192.168.0.1) and tunneling only the IP from the VM and Router1 could be secondary (192.168.1.1) chained router. That would mean the VM would have no access to nework on Router 1?

4) Or would you suggest the easiest way - software-based VPN tunneling on the VM? However, this would take a few moments to fire up after startup of computer, the reason why I prefer router-based VPN.

I would appreciate any help in understanding what setup is doable and what your suggestions are.
    Many thanks.

:)

Mr Blob, May 28, 2020
  2. Mr Blob Win User

Hi,

I hope someone can be kind enough to help me with suggestions on my VM setup.

What I have:
    Windows 10 host. (Motherboard has two LAN ports)
    Virtualization through Hyper-V or Virtualbox
    1 main router (192.168.1.1)
    1 potential secondary router.

What I want:
    NAT "type" setup. I do not want VM to have access to host or any other device on the network but I want it to have internet access. However, I would like to use router based VPN tunneling only for my VM and would need to have a dedicated IP number. However, I don't want my host to be on a VPN, so I can't use software-based VPN on host.

How
    1) Is it possible to somehow give a dedicated IP for the VM using NAT type of setup in Hyper-V or VirtualBox?

2) If I connect two LAN cables from my Router 1 to my host, can my host have 2 IP addresses in the router? Would it be possible to force all host traffic onto LAN1 so that no traffic goes through LAN2, except the VM? That would give me the option of doing router based VPN based in IP address.

3) If I connect my host to 2 routers (Router1 for host) and Router2 intended for VPN tunneling, could this be done in a similar fashion as above? Force all host traffic onto Router1, except the VM that would be forced onto router2? If that is the case, then Router 2 could be main router after ISP modem (192.168.0.1) and tunneling only the IP from the VM and Router1 could be secondary (192.168.1.1) chained router. That would mean the VM would have no access to nework on Router 1?

4) Or would you suggest the easiest way - software-based VPN tunneling on the VM? However, this would take a few moments to fire up after startup of computer, the reason why I prefer router-based VPN.

I would appreciate any help in understanding what setup is doable and what your suggestions are.
    Many thanks.

Mr Blob, May 29, 2020
  3. Kari Win User

A simple solution I would choose is to get a VPN client on VM. Everything you want can be easily achieved for instance with F-Secure's Freedome VPN selecting all settings shown in screenshot:

Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level? [​IMG]

4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

@Mr Blob

I would have thought that NAT - at least on VMWare type of VM's isolates the VM from the HOST (the VM runs on a separate subnet) whilst allowing Internet access.

Bridged Networking (where the VM has its own "Real IP address") is the method that allows complete connectivity throughout the network.

I'm not sure though if NAT will allow connectivity to other machines on a LAN -- Host isolation though works.

The other way might be (at least on a HOME Lan) is to give the VM a different "workgroup" name .

Using 2 ethernet NIC's (ports / connectors) to router works in all sorts of ways but you still have the problem of Internet access but not to rest of LAN -- different subnets would work in this case -- you need then to have a VM system that allows you to "pass thru" the specific NIC card for the VM rather than using a "Virtual NIC" .

I've tested this on a machine with two lan ports -- but I can only get it to work using a Linux Host and running the VM as a KVM/QEMU Windows Virtual machine -- passing through one NIC which has a different subnet to the Host does the job perfectly --- I'm sure this probably could be achieved on a HOST Windows system using HYPER-V -- although Hyper-V networking is "well beyond my paygrade". I don't think VMWare or VBOX will do this unless you can force a virtual NIC to use a specific physical NIC on your machine.

There could be other ways like blocking by mac id or whatever --I'm not a network Guru and usually for VM's on my network --I want them to have maximum connectivity -- so I'll pass on other possible suggestions and leave it to Network Gurus.

For things like tunnelling etc --use Putty but this is used more for things like RDP etc.

BTW if your Mobo only has ONE ethernet NIC you can always use a USB->Ethernet adapter for a 2nd NIC).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level? - Similar Threads - Dedicated NAT VPN

2. understanding IP and NAT firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    understanding IP and NAT firewall: This article says: Not sure if your wifi router has a NAT firewall enabled? Try connecting two devices to the same wifi network, such as a laptop and smartphone. Now, on each of them, run a Google search for whats my IP? If you see the same IP address for both devices,...
  3. Cannot access Router IP or NAS IP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access Router IP or NAS IP: I am running Windows 10 64 bit professional and using Firefox as my web browser. Whenever I put in the IP address of either my BT Hub 2 router or my QNAP NAS all I keep getting is 'server not found' even though when I do the same on my mobile phone I can access them with no...
  4. IP IN VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP IN VPN: Greetings! I really need help. Can I change the IP and make the computer think that you are in another place? Enable any IP address in the VPN. Website from which I download this document I want that system to see me as a new user every time when I go on there.I tried vpn,...
  5. IP in VPN

IP in VPN: Greetings! I really need help. Can I change the IP and make the computer think that you are in another place? Enable any IP address in the VPN. I would really appreciate it if you help....
  6. New Router or VPN???

New Router or VPN???: Hi I have today been looking at subscribing to a VPN provider. However, my husband suggested I look at How-To-Geek to see what they say. Having done that, they are suggesting that not everyone needs a VPN - just a new router. But routers as they as used be seem to be going...
  7. Ip router hide

Ip router hide: Hello . I need some help. I use monthly internet service with wlan routers connected to optics . my question is 1.does the server see my internet service provider ip, or see my ip router, or see ip on my laptop?? if I use VPN on my laptop. Will the server still see my IP?...
  8. how to host an IP router server and a NAT server using RRAS on windows 10 (not server version)?

how to host an IP router server and a NAT server using RRAS on windows 10 (not server version)?: Hi For some reasons, I have to host an IP router server and a NAT server on my computer which running windows 10 professional. I can start the "Routing and Remote Access Service", but I can't find server manager, so I can't config the service. so, my question is, how to...
  9. VPN NAT error

VPN NAT error: Hello. I can not configure vpn (L2TP) on Windows 10 1809. I get an error associated with NAT. Code: The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of the network...
  10. VPN IP address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN IP address: I'm using VPN from Avast and its information tells me its address is 5.62.43.85. However a warning message from Microsoft this morning told me there was a login from 5.62.43.33, giving a map suggesting it was from the Manchester area. However the Avast address seems to be...