Windows 10: Dedicated 'J' Drive is constantly fragmented daily?

Discus and support Dedicated 'J' Drive is constantly fragmented daily? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guy & ladies, I have a "J" hard drive, used only for bit torrent downloads, however I have noticed it is constantly fragmented? It passed the Window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dillpickles098, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Dedicated 'J' Drive is constantly fragmented daily?

Hi guy & ladies, I have a "J" hard drive, used only for bit torrent downloads, however I have noticed it is constantly fragmented? It passed the Window scan, even through it said I didn't not need to scan, as Windows found no errors.

A first it wouldn't even pass defrag, connected to Window Support, with great difficulty, as I have the Assure Protection Plan, they did whatever magic they do, in remote, and was unable to the find the issue.

I eliminated some 200 of the 500+ items, finally it would pass defrag, with 0% fragmented. Checking again just before I was shutting down for the day, I checked. Sure enough, drive properties said I need to defrag, fragmented 36%. Defragmenting the drive daily I think will eventually lead to a failure of it, and the loss of all data on it?

Wondering if anyone has a solution, as the drive is working, no errors detected. just fragmented daily, as I am constantly adding to it, and deleting items from it. If it's something I am doing, then replacing the drive would have the same affect. The drive is a 1TB Western Digital, maybe 3 yrs. old, or less.

Should I replace it? Should I go with a solid state? What does the forum suggest?

Thanks All

DP.

:)

Dillpickles098, Sep 20, 2019

2. Recovery drive D:  41% fragmented

It is a system drive which doesn't affect your performance as no read-write is performed on it. So I suggest you not to fragment it.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 20, 2019
  3. SYSTEM - Hard Disk Drive Heavily Fragmented

I have a Drive named "SYSTEM" known under Media type as a Hard disk drive. It is 67% fragmented every time it is analyzed. I click on optimize and it goes through the process very quickly like 3 seconds and then says the drive is 33% fragmented. If
    I select analyze again it reverts back to 67% fragmented immediately. I've tried two 3rd party Defrag applications and both do not list the drive SYSTEM. Is this problem permanent and the only fix requires a new hard drive?

ArmandAustin, Sep 20, 2019
  4. Dedicated 'J' Drive is constantly fragmented daily?

C drive is only showing 8% fragmented on Windows 10

Hello,

For your information, please be informed that if you select a drive for fragmentation then you can click on the Analyze button to see if it needs to be optimized. If the drive is more than 10% fragmented, then it should be optimized. Optimizing a drive
    might take anywhere from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size of the drive and degree of optimization needed.

I suggest you to Optimize Drives in Command Prompt from the below steps:
    1. Press Windows + X keys from the Keyboard, and click on
    Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the command prompt, type the command you want to use below, and press Enter.

defrag C: /O

NOTE: Substitute C: in the command with the drive letter you want instead.

defrag /C /O

NOTE: For all HDDs and SSDs.

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

Dedicated 'J' Drive is constantly fragmented daily?

1. Dedicated 'J' Drive is constantly fragmented daily? - Similar Threads - Dedicated 'J' Drive

2. Constant bluescreens daily

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant bluescreens daily: Hello I have been getting daily bluescreens mostly when playing games such as fifa/apex/palworld etc but also sometimes when idle. I have no idea how to read these minidumps so I will attach them here, pls can someone help, thanks...
  3. Constant bluescreens daily

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant bluescreens daily: Hello I have been getting daily bluescreens mostly when playing games such as fifa/apex/palworld etc but also sometimes when idle. I have no idea how to read these minidumps so I will attach them here, pls can someone help, thanks...
  4. D Drive Missing After Fragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive Missing After Fragmentation: Hi, As the title suggests, my D drive has gone missing after fragmentation. I have tried to rescan disks in disk management, update driver in device manager, uninstalled recent windows updates but still unable to locate my D drive.Based on event logs, it’s showing me event ID...
  5. D Drive Missing After Fragmentation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D Drive Missing After Fragmentation: Hi, As the title suggests, my D drive has gone missing after fragmentation. I have tried to rescan disks in disk management, update driver in device manager, uninstalled recent windows updates but still unable to locate my D drive.Based on event logs, it’s showing me event ID...
  6. Fragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fragmentation: Don't know why this happens. It happens with memory hungry programmes tho.. I do know how to defragment both Registry and Pagefile. However, I don't understand how a sluggish or unresponsive app can produce fragmentation in pagefile, for a start. Sometimes it's Chrome...
  7. Fragmentation of c drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fragmentation of c drive: I had a fragmentation problem only in C: drive for 25% Every time i change new drive it has the same problem In C: drive and now I am running in third drive this also saying 30% fragmented. And every time when i boot disk check error and not opeaning dose this happen...
  8. Disk stays fragmented

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk stays fragmented: Hello everyone, I've been trying to defragment my main disk for quite some time using the Disk Optimization app which is provided by Windows itself. I've tried doing it for almost 3 times but my disk always stays fragmented. As we're speaking right now, I'm trying to...
  9. Not working after fragmentation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not working after fragmentation: I just refragmented my computer ,,but when i try to start it ,it does not show even the windows logo,it just shows blank screen of black colour,,please do reply really in need...
  10. Hard Drive 55% fragmented. Problem?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Drive 55% fragmented. Problem?: Asking this question for a friend. Windows 10 Disk Defragment tool will run but always says 55% when done. Problem? 64464