Windows 10: Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

Discus and support Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; There seems to be a collision between the Windows Paint3D photo editor and the Irfanview photo editor when it comes to setting Irfanview as the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ineuw, Dec 26, 2018.

1. ineuw Win User

Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

There seems to be a collision between the Windows Paint3D photo editor and the Irfanview photo editor when it comes to setting Irfanview as the default app to for .JPG files. I set it and then opening a .JGP file, the app reverts to Paint3D. Is there something I can do about this problem?

P.S: It accepts all other selected image formats like .PNG, BMP, etc.

:)

ineuw, Dec 26, 2018
  2. jacobacci Win User

Changing default app won't stick

Hi all
    I am trying to give Windows Photo Viewer all its (file extension) defaults

I have tried two ways to set Windows Photo Viewer as default:

Control Panel / Default Programs / Set your default programs / Windows Photo Viewer
    Whatever I do, windows does not let me assign more that two defaults to Windows Photo Viewer. e.g. jpg cannot be assigned.

Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick. [​IMG]

Setting / System / Default apps
    When I click Photo Viewer chose a default, a list pops up, but it does not contain Windows Photo Viewer.

Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick. [​IMG]

Also I tried to set jRiver as the default for Video Player. It does appear in the list and I can select it in the list, but it will not appear as the default Video Player.

If I chose Photos as the Photo Viewer app, it appears as the default for both Photo Viewer and Video Player.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong here?

jacobacci, Dec 26, 2018
  3. How to set a default app for extensions?

Hi Tyler,

Which app are you trying to set for .res extension?

Please try to check the app you are trying to set. Is it feasible with .res extension?

I suggest performing the steps below and check if it fixes the problem.

Go to Setting - Apps - Click on Default apps - Click on Choose default apps by file type.

On the left, search for .res extension

Across .res extension, tap on Choose a default

Try browsing for the app.

Martin Jenkinss, Dec 26, 2018
  4. Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

Cant set the default app for extensions

Hi Alex,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know which app you are trying to set for
      .res extension?
    2. Could you check the app you are trying to set, if it is feasible with
      .res extension?

You may follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Go to Setting >
      Apps.
    2. Click on Default apps.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by file type.
    4. Look for .res extension on the left pane.
    5. Across .res extension, click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Try browsing for the app.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Manjunath_H, Dec 26, 2018
Thema:

Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

1. Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick. - Similar Threads - Default app assignments

2. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I assign a program to a file extension?: Greetings,I would like to change the program that opens for the *.webp picture file format. I click Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.This brings up a list of all file extensions. I go down to the .webp extension and click on the program that...
  3. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I assign a program to a file extension?: Greetings,I would like to change the program that opens for the *.webp picture file format. I click Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.This brings up a list of all file extensions. I go down to the .webp extension and click on the program that...
  4. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps: Hi, This question exact same title and issue is the same as someone posted 27 January 2018.Can you imagine!Three years later and you microsoft programmers still didn't act!For example if I associate Mp3 with MPC-BE portable it is set as default app but once in a while MS...
  6. Assign Default Mail App By GPO

Assign Default Mail App By GPO: How does a domain administrator assign a Default Mail Application to windows 10 users without replacing the entire AppAssociations.xml? I want to only set the default mail app to Outlook instead of Windows Mail. I do not want to replace the entire AppAssociations.xml due to...
  7. Default App extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App extensions: my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the original "Open With" was. This is in Windows 10 & keeps referring to look for an App in the store.......
  8. Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

in Windows 10 Support
    Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.: There seems to be a collision between the Windows Paint3D photo editor and the Irfanview photo editor when it comes to setting Irfanview as the default app to for .JPG files. I set it and then opening a .JGP file, the app reverts to Paint3D. Is there something I can do about...
  9. How to set a default app for extensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default app for extensions?: Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-default-app-for-extensions/b513235b-4f4d-4292-b37e-000ac4d12d6e"
  10. Changing default app won't stick

Changing default app won't stick: Hi all I am trying to give Windows Photo Viewer all its (file extension) defaults I have tried two ways to set Windows Photo Viewer as default: Control Panel / Default Programs / Set your default programs / Windows Photo Viewer Whatever I do, windows does not let me...