Windows 10: Default App change

Discus and support Default App change in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 does not appear to give me the ability to change my browser default. The current comments I'm reading seem to confirm this. Is it true?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BenCap, Mar 21, 2019.

1. BenCap Win User

Default App change

Windows 10 does not appear to give me the ability to change my browser default. The current comments I'm reading seem to confirm this. Is it true?

:)

BenCap, Mar 21, 2019

2. Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Mar 21, 2019
  4. Default App change

Windows10 Keeps Changing my Default Apps

Hi Carol,

There is a certain option in Settings where you can change the default apps for a specific file type. For example, your .psd file can be opened by a certain app as a default while the other file types can be opened by a different app. You can manually change
    it by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I.
    • Select Apps, and then Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • From there, scroll down to the file type that you want to change the default app.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Default App change

1. Default App change - Similar Threads - Default App change

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  4. Changing default open app

Changing default open app: How can I change the default open app for pdf files when windows doesn't make adobe acrobat available as an option only Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-open-app/d2fd766b-1b4d-4f25-9124-5c5ae0a54cd2
  5. Default Apps Change By Themselves

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Apps Change By Themselves: Just as the title states, I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise, all updates are installed. My default apps change nearly once a day. Example: If I set Adobe AC as my default PDF reader today, tomorrow when I come back to my station, the default app is Microsoft Edge. Is I set...
  6. Change to NO default App

Change to NO default App: for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application....
  7. Changing default apps

Changing default apps: I have a old MS word program2010that I own and works well on my Win 10 pc. When I open any doc the default program or app is the one that came with the the Win 10 PC, which you have to activate and purchase. Im perfectly happy with my old version. When I go to change it in...
  8. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...
  9. Cannot change default apps

Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  10. Cannot change App Defaults

Cannot change App Defaults: I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many....