Windows 10: Default App extensions

Discus and support Default App extensions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ConnieMurphyOR, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Default App extensions

my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the original "Open With" was. This is in Windows 10 & keeps referring to look for an App in the store....

:)

ConnieMurphyOR, Mar 1, 2019

2. How to set a default app for extensions?

Hi Tyler,

Which app are you trying to set for .res extension?

Please try to check the app you are trying to set. Is it feasible with .res extension?

I suggest performing the steps below and check if it fixes the problem.

Go to Setting - Apps - Click on Default apps - Click on Choose default apps by file type.

On the left, search for .res extension

Across .res extension, tap on Choose a default

Try browsing for the app.

Martin Jenkinss, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Cant set the default app for extensions

Hi Alex,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know which app you are trying to set for
      .res extension?
    2. Could you check the app you are trying to set, if it is feasible with
      .res extension?

You may follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Go to Setting >
      Apps.
    2. Click on Default apps.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by file type.
    4. Look for .res extension on the left pane.
    5. Across .res extension, click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Try browsing for the app.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Manjunath_H, Mar 1, 2019
  4. Default App extensions

Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

Default App extensions

1. Default App extensions - Similar Threads - Default App extensions

2. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  3. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  4. How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...: So, I Want to do this because i accidentally choose a default program for .cur files and now, the thumbnail preview isn't showing in the file explorer This is not how it looked like.Is it even possible to reset default apps for a particular file type in win 11?I mean there's...
  5. How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...

How to reset a default app So, that there's no default app for that extension Just like In...: So, I Want to do this because i accidentally choose a default program for .cur files and now, the thumbnail preview isn't showing in the file explorer This is not how it looked like.Is it even possible to reset default apps for a particular file type in win 11?I mean there's...
  6. Changing default apps to match a file extension

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default apps to match a file extension: I am attempting to change the default app of .tifs and .jpgs to Adobe Photoshop which isn't even on the list of default apps. Is there anyway to get it on the list? I have no use for the app that .tifs and jpgs do open in. I forget what it is,...
  7. extension default change

extension default change: Would like to know how to change default programs for extensions eg. txt, rtf. NOT the easy way that doesn't work - settings only offers certain choices and I want something NOT listed - in this case I want Wordpad....
  8. Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.: There seems to be a collision between the Windows Paint3D photo editor and the Irfanview photo editor when it comes to setting Irfanview as the default app to for .JPG files. I set it and then opening a .JGP file, the app reverts to Paint3D. Is there something I can do about...
  9. How to set a default app for extensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default app for extensions?: Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-default-app-for-extensions/b513235b-4f4d-4292-b37e-000ac4d12d6e"
  10. Cant set the default app for extensions

Cant set the default app for extensions: Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-the-default-app-for-extensions/21a0939a-bac4-4bcb-bdd6-3fcbfa352d67