Windows 10: Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

Discus and support Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RoyAxford, Nov 5, 2018.

1. RoyAxford Win User

Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I open a .txt file.

A MS tech kindly and diligently looked into this for me earlier today and discovered that this version of WIN 10 has a hard-wired policy that only allows apps from the Microsoft Store to be set as default apps. This is an unwelcome change from the previous WIN 10 update I was using.

MS products are usually acceptable, but this hard-wired policy against setting non-MS-Store apps as defaults is unacceptable. What does MS plan to do about it?

:)

RoyAxford, Nov 5, 2018
  2. RoyAxford Win User

The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I
    open a .txt file.

A MS tech kindly and diligently looked into this for me earlier today and discovered that this version of WIN 10 has a hard-wired policy that only allows apps from the Microsoft Store to be set as default apps. This is an unwelcome change from the previous
    WIN 10 update I was using.

MS products are usually acceptable, but this hard-wired policy against setting non-MS-Store apps as defaults is unacceptable. What does MS plan to do about it?

RoyAxford, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Unable to set a default app to open a particular file type on Windows 10.

Hi David,

The above issue might have occurred due to the presence of missing system files and folders on the computer.

Before we assist further, did you try setting the default file type application from system
    Settings page?

Follow the steps below to set default program/application to open a particular file from system
    Settings page and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Scroll down the page and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.

• Locate the file format, click on the program which is set to open the file type and select the application you want to set from
      Choose an App window.

• Close the window and check if you are able to open the file type in the application set as default.

Write to us with the status of the default application issues experienced on the PC on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

setting app for a particular file other than the default app?

Is there any way in Windows 10 to set a particular file to be opened by a particular app that isn't the default app for that file type?

JimCooper_701, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt - Similar Threads - Default App Particular

2. Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-file-type-from-txt-to-all-files-in/1baf2d3a-cd93-4ddc-b021-7e58e48c7693I found an answer far more helpful than this one.I turned to a scripting solution. Use AutoHotkey to do this.Loop{WinWaitActive, Open...
  3. Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-file-type-from-txt-to-all-files-in/1baf2d3a-cd93-4ddc-b021-7e58e48c7693I found an answer far more helpful than this one.I turned to a scripting solution. Use AutoHotkey to do this.Loop{WinWaitActive, Open...
  4. .txt > .html File Types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .txt > .html File Types: Hi. I have a text file .txt extension. I want to save it as a .html file. Within the document I start and end with <HTML> and </HTML>, respectively. I can only save the file as a .txt, or 'All file types'. Either way, it saves as a .txt. I change the name of the file to...
  5. .txt > .html File Types

.txt > .html File Types: Hi. I have a text file .txt extension. I want to save it as a .html file. Within the document I start and end with <HTML> and </HTML>, respectively. I can only save the file as a .txt, or 'All file types'. Either way, it saves as a .txt. I change the name of the file to...
  6. i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor: HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i want to make python code i would need to replace the .txt with .py but i cant do that anymore does anybody know how to fix...
  7. Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad

Change default file type from *.txt to ALL FILES in notepad: I use notepad to view json or xml files. Every time when I open, I have to change file type from *.txt to ALL FILES. Can I set ALL FILES as default?...
  8. Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file: Hi. I am not able to set choose default apps by file type fot .txt there they show wordpad by default. i want to set word to open .txt fype but not able to change & i also have one error show when i open word file and that error is "Microsoft Word 16.0: We're sorry but...
  9. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps by file type: In the default apps by file type, My dad accidentally click the internet explorer as a default app "opener" for a PPT File. And I wanted to restore it back to the default setting but there has no setting for it, and the only solution for that is to find another app in the...
  10. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...