Windows 10: Default app for file type

Discus and support Default app for file type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; every time I want to make illustrator the default app for the .ai files, it doesn't do anything, is there something I'm doing wrong?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Enrique_Mota, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Default app for file type

every time I want to make illustrator the default app for the .ai files, it doesn't do anything, is there something I'm doing wrong?

:)

Enrique_Mota, Nov 5, 2018

2. setting default app by file type

How do you set the Kindle app to be defaulted to .mobi file type? I don't find the .mobi file type listed as a file type.

FloydYoung, Nov 5, 2018
  3. app default setting by file type

Hi Richard,

We understand that you're having issues with the default file app association on your computer. To assist you with your concern, you may refer to the steps below on how to change the default setting of your application:

• In Search Windows textbox, search for choose a default app for each type of file and set .PDF and any other file extensions to point to your choice for default
      programs. Do not use Adobe Reader to set the association.
    • Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 and locate the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file. Make a backup of it just in case.
    • Open the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file and keep it open using
      Notepad.exe.
    • Open PowerShell or CMD and run it as Administrator.
    • Enter the following: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\AppAssoc.xml
    • Open C:\AppAssoc.xml with Notepad.exe
    • Copy the entire contents of AppAssoc.xml and replace the entire content of OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Save OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Delete C:\AppAssoc.xml (optional).

After doing the steps, you may now change the default file app association for opening .pdf.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Nov 5, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Default app for file type

Default apps by file type

Hi, first, what do you see if you go to Settings here?

Default app for file type [​IMG]

You should have a list of registered file types- in your case, expect them to be limited to the defaults that are available when you install Windows (+ any others created by programs you may have installed at some point).

You have at least two difficulties.
    a. Your portable programs won't be registered to handle any file types.
    b. A portable program that handles file types not available on your system can't be assigned to them - as they don't exist.
    (Imagine a portable office program - doc and docx don't exists as file types until you install a handler).

If the file type exists, then you may be able to rt click it, Open With and browse to your portable program.
    However, as that program is not registered to handle it, I'm not sure quite what you'll end up with (see rtf example below, and consider the effect of assigning an unregistered program to it).

If it doesn't, you will have to create it, and all that goes with it.

You may find this free program helpful:

Also this one (note: I've shown the rtf extension - look at what is needed to handle it- and the program's parameters)

dalchina, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Default app for file type

1. Default app for file type - Similar Threads - Default app file

2. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  3. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  4. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  6. Default Apps for a file type

Default Apps for a file type: Please provide and easy way to have a default "Open" program for a file, and a separate "Edit" program for a file! For example, I want to have a jpg file open by default with the standard Photos app, but when you right click to "Edit" the file, I want to assign that to a...
  7. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps by file type: In the default apps by file type, My dad accidentally click the internet explorer as a default app "opener" for a PPT File. And I wanted to restore it back to the default setting but there has no setting for it, and the only solution for that is to find another app in the...
  8. default app for file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    default app for file type: I entered improper default app for file type. How do I delete the incorrect one. I have gone to Settings>Apps>Default App>scrolled to bottom and selected Choose Default App by File Type. New window appears and I scroll down to the file type which is .pdf. I somehow...
  9. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  10. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 1909 oemdefaultassociations.xml