Windows 10: default app for file type

Discus and support default app for file type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I entered improper default app for file type. How do I delete the incorrect one. I have gone to Settings>Apps>Default App>scrolled to bottom and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by wyowam, Nov 29, 2018.

1. wyowam Win User

default app for file type

I entered improper default app for file type. How do I delete the incorrect one. I have gone to Settings>Apps>Default App>scrolled to bottom and selected Choose Default App by File Type. New window appears and I scroll down to the file type which is .pdf. I somehow have Mozilla Firefox as the selected default. I click on it but nothing changes to let me delete and reselect the proper Adobe Acrobat Reader.

:)

wyowam, Nov 29, 2018

2. setting default app by file type

How do you set the Kindle app to be defaulted to .mobi file type? I don't find the .mobi file type listed as a file type.

FloydYoung, Nov 29, 2018
  3. app default setting by file type

Hi Richard,

We understand that you're having issues with the default file app association on your computer. To assist you with your concern, you may refer to the steps below on how to change the default setting of your application:

• In Search Windows textbox, search for choose a default app for each type of file and set .PDF and any other file extensions to point to your choice for default
      programs. Do not use Adobe Reader to set the association.
    • Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 and locate the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file. Make a backup of it just in case.
    • Open the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file and keep it open using
      Notepad.exe.
    • Open PowerShell or CMD and run it as Administrator.
    • Enter the following: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\AppAssoc.xml
    • Open C:\AppAssoc.xml with Notepad.exe
    • Copy the entire contents of AppAssoc.xml and replace the entire content of OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Save OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Delete C:\AppAssoc.xml (optional).

After doing the steps, you may now change the default file app association for opening .pdf.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Nov 29, 2018
  4. lacrumb Win User

Default Apps by File Type Issue

Try this it may work or may not.

Open Excel type in some cells and save.

1. What file type did it save it in?

2. Go to the defaults and see if Excel is listed for that file type.

3. Check other .xl file types and see if they are also have the Excel listing.

I do not have Excel installed on my computers. Some have LibreOffice and those file types list LibreOffice Calc.

I have 1 computer that has no spreadsheet app installed and get the notice that there is no app and to go to Store.

lacrumb, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

1. default app for file type - Similar Threads - default app file

2. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  3. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  4. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  6. Default Apps for a file type

Default Apps for a file type: Please provide and easy way to have a default "Open" program for a file, and a separate "Edit" program for a file! For example, I want to have a jpg file open by default with the standard Photos app, but when you right click to "Edit" the file, I want to assign that to a...
  7. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps by file type: In the default apps by file type, My dad accidentally click the internet explorer as a default app "opener" for a PPT File. And I wanted to restore it back to the default setting but there has no setting for it, and the only solution for that is to find another app in the...
  8. Default app for file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default app for file type: every time I want to make illustrator the default app for the .ai files, it doesn't do anything, is there something I'm doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-for-file-type/7657bc77-b72c-4789-872e-de300c6783ef
  9. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  10. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Check the Windows Store for more info ype.Hello w