Windows 10: Default app for URN protocol

Discus and support Default app for URN protocol in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I faced a problem with opening links with URN suffix. Whenever link is being open it asks to select a default app for urn file type and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ДаниилЭкзарян, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Default app for URN protocol

Hello,

I faced a problem with opening links with URN suffix.

Whenever link is being open it asks to select a default app for urn file type and then is unable to find any in MS Store.

I have tried setting it to Chrome different ways, but none worked at the end:

- tried setting via "Choose default apps by protocol"

- via "Set default by app" option selecting chrome, but no option to choose it for URN

- tried to export/import file association using dism.exe

Is there anything else I've missed?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

:)

ДаниилЭкзарян, Feb 3, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, I don't have Acrobat installed. With Sumatra as my default pdf reader, that hyperlink to a pdf docoument opens in.. yes.. Sumatra. Changing to Edge:

Default app for URN protocol [​IMG]

the hyperlink opens in... yes.. Edge.

If, as seems the case, Bluebeam is correctly associated with pdf files, I can't say why the hyperlink fails. Your guess about the protocol may be right- I don't know. If you could make any change to that to test that theory, as you suggest, that would help.

If you wish to view the relevant registry key, a convenient way to get there is via free Filetypesman - a rt click option.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2021
  3. 1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in Settings App

Everyone can change a default app. This is about creating a new file type or protocol for a default app. Your suggestion and the issue are different things.

Look at the screenshot, imagine there is a protocol URL:000 that isn't in the list... how are you going to add URL:000 to the list?

Kev Feathers, Feb 3, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Default app for URN protocol

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, just considering what is shown in the Open With options, for example:

Here you can see Sumatra is my default reader.

Here you can see Sumatra and Chrome are added to the Open With list, + Edge, a system default.

The choice presented to you for .fdf, .pdfxml, .pdx for example, should depend on whether Bluebeam has correctly registered itself in the appropriate place as capable of handling those extensions.

So, for example, is Bluebeam shown in the Open With list for those extensions?

It is not enough that a program is installed that is potentially capable of handling a file type (e.g. via an Open dialogue) but that it be so registered. That is up to the author to specify.

Application Registration - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

This opens in Sumatra, my default.

Unfortunately this option in the Control Panel now opens in Settings:

and does not allow you to do what it claims.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Default app for URN protocol

1. Default app for URN protocol - Similar Threads - Default app URN

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  4. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. FTP protocol default app

FTP protocol default app: I can type an FTP address in to the address bar on File Explorer, log in and use the service. What I want is to set it as default, so when I click an FTP link File Explorer opens it. If I try to set the default app in Windows I am only offered browsers, none of which work. I...
  6. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FTP protocol default app: I can type an FTP address in to the address bar on File Explorer, log in and use the service. What I want is to set it as default, so when I click an FTP link File Explorer opens it. If I try to set the default app in Windows I am only offered browsers, none of which work. I...
  7. FTP protocol default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Setting default app for irc protocol

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting default app for irc protocol: [ATTACH] Hey everyone, I have a problem that shouldn't be that hard to solve but I just can't figure it out. I want to set Hexchat as default app for opening irc protocols at win 10. Current default app is edge but in settings the only listet app is edge, even though...
  9. Can't choose default app for protocol from PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't choose default app for protocol from PC: Hi, I try to set utorrent as default app for magnet links. "Settings" though offers the current default, Torch, or to buy from the app store only, no option to choose from PC (screenshot 1) utorrent is fully capable of handling magnet; it is installed on my laptop and set...
  10. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...