Windows 10: default app not listed for a file

Discus and support default app not listed for a file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; how do I change the default app for file if the app is not listed but has been installed on the PC. the files are for embroidery software.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Betty JoKavanaugh, Dec 27, 2020.

1. default app not listed for a file

how do I change the default app for file if the app is not listed but has been installed on the PC. the files are for embroidery software.

:)

Betty JoKavanaugh, Dec 27, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

default app not listed for a file [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

default app not listed for a file [​IMG]

3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done default app not listed for a file :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Dec 27, 2020
  4. default app not listed for a file

Adding programs to the list of Default Apps

...actually this does solve the problem. After doing the steps "Open With" from File Explorer, clicking "More Apps", selecting Kodi. Then the next time when I go to "Default apps", "Choose Apps", now Kodi is included in the list.

This feels like a strange workaround, but it works.

Uffe Peter Walderö, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

default app not listed for a file

1. default app not listed for a file - Similar Threads - default app listed

2. How to remove app listed in the default app options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove app listed in the default app options?: While trying to set default apps and not finding the app I wanted on the pop up list in default app settings, I selected "Choose an app on your PC".The problem is, the file I actually selected is not an executable but was entered as a choice in the default app pop up list...
  3. How to remove app listed in the default app options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove app listed in the default app options?: While trying to set default apps and not finding the app I wanted on the pop up list in default app settings, I selected "Choose an app on your PC".The problem is, the file I actually selected is not an executable but was entered as a choice in the default app pop up list...
  4. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  5. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  6. Default app list doesn't appear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default app list doesn't appear: I need to change my default pdf-reading. When I tried to bring up the "select app by file type" page, all I get is the header and nothing else? How do I fix it?...
  7. Adding programs to the list of Default Apps

Adding programs to the list of Default Apps: I run Windows 10 Home, latest patches. It the settings where I set Default Apps, and I set for example Default Vide player , there appears just a short list of apps. Kodi does not appear on this list, even though it is installed. How do I add applications to this list? I...
  8. W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed

W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed: I have a different twist on the default app setting. For reasons outside the scope of this question we need to have several versions of the same software. I want to be able to control which version is set as the default on a particular machine. For example if I install a...
  9. Default apps in settings is not on the list

Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...
  10. FreeCad is not showing on the default App list!!

FreeCad is not showing on the default App list!!: Hello, I am running Windows 10 and have just installed FreeCad for working on some .dwg files. The default app is set by the PC to paint.net which I would like to change to FreeCad. Have tried to change the app the files are opening in the following ways; 1. Via file...