Windows 10: Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens

Discus and support Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I have set the default media player for both music and video to VLC and when I double click a single file it opens in VLC. However if I select a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lemtree, Jan 3, 2016.

1. lemtree Win User

Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens

Hi

I have set the default media player for both music and video to VLC and when I double click a single file it opens in VLC. However if I select a number of music files and hit enter or click play at the top of windows explorer it opens windows media player. Even if I right click the files it only gives me options to open in Windows Media Player as shown in attached.

How can I fix this?

:)

lemtree, Jan 3, 2016
  2. JoeNamco Win User

Unwanted and unintentional installation of windows 10 has completely disabled media playing capacity on my pc, a Toshiba Satellite L505.

Try the free VLC media player here is the link http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Also after it is installed go to settings system open default apps and set VLC as your music, video player

JoeNamco, Jan 3, 2016
  3. how to set default app on lumia phone

hello!! I have a Lumia 625 running Windows 8. I have downloaded VLC media player to open my video files but i noticed that only the video files that cannot be open by the default video player are played by VLC. Those the default video player can open are
    directly open by it (without asking me to open using VLC or default video player). so, I want to know if it's possible to choose a default app for playing video, music, so on!!

Thank you!

youssoufsawadogo, Jan 3, 2016
  4. WildOne Win User

Try changing file association to VLC in settings, System, default apps, choose default apps by file type, change MP3 file to VLC...

WildOne, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    There seems to be an ongoing glitch between the "two Control Panels",
    even if you set defaults in Settings:

Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens [​IMG]
    you still need to go to Control Panel and change all defaults for your desired application:

then you will get the right click context menu entry:

Edwin, Jan 3, 2016
  6. lemtree Win User
    Mp3 is already associated to VLC as can be seen in the screenshot the icon is VLC and if I double click one file it opens in VLC but several files together open windows media player.

lemtree, Jan 3, 2016
  7. WildOne Win User
    Yes, I can see that but you may need to check as I indicated just to make sure...

WildOne, Jan 3, 2016
  8. sml156 Win User

I use one of my Win 10's as a media center and I just checked it by selecting a bunch of .mkv files and the option was to add to VLC media player list

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Default app set to VLC but Win Media PLayer opens - Similar Threads - Default app set

2. VLC media player problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VLC media player problem: When i was using vlc i clicked media and then open network stream and i pasted my link in this is my link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6bTjpTmkA and it said this Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL...
  3. Issues with VLC Media Player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with VLC Media Player: I use VLC Media Player for watching .mkv file formats but there is now an issue occurring and has occurred many times now. The player seems to be unresponsive after it glitches, the video and audio continue but my mouse clicks and keyboard commands seem to be unresponsive....
  4. VLC media player Privacy

VLC media player Privacy: Hello, I don't want to share any info with videolan, when using VLC media player latest version, what options do I have to uncheck to avoid send them any information about my system or something else... I only found one option only, is there more option to uncheck? Also...
  5. VLC media player Privacy

in Windows 10 Support
    VLC media player Privacy: Hello, I don't want to share any info with videolan, when using VLC media player latest version, what options do I have to uncheck to avoid send them any information about my system or something else... I only found one option only, is there more option to uncheck? Also...
  6. VLC Media player

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    VLC Media player: why won't my VTS_01_1.VOB file play in VLC Media player https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vlc-media-player/d7a3507c-2beb-43dd-99ce-3e3a566e886d"
  7. VLC Media Player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VLC Media Player: Have been using VLC Media Player to play DVD's, but now it doesn't recognize that there is a DVD in the drive. Drive will play CD's but doesn't recognize DVD's. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vlc-media-player/5e2d37b9-cb75-445b-bfa8-8f0a943ba752
  8. VLC Media Player

VLC Media Player: How do I safely Uninstall VLC Media Player from Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_news/vlc-media-player/f6e14894-efaa-4b54-af55-95393646f2d0
  9. VLC Media Player

VLC Media Player: Using this 3rd party player in windows10 ,seems like a good player for DVD's. The only problem I'm having is it will not play the previews on a dvd? Does anyone use this player and is it possible to play the previews. 32620
  10. VLC Media Player Question?

VLC Media Player Question?: Ok I know its a lot harder to change file type icons in windows 10 then in other versions of windows like the 8 or 8.1. So I was wondering if its possible to just change the file types for a specific program or through the program. For example I'm using the vlc media...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 set wmc files to open with vlc

2. avi set to vlc but still opens in windows media player