Windows 10: Default App Settings Do Not Save on Restart or Reboot in Windows 10

Discus and support Default App Settings Do Not Save on Restart or Reboot in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ever since my latest Windows Update, my computer will not "remember" my default app settings after a reboot or restarting my computer. I can change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CuriousOD, Apr 4, 2020.

1. CuriousOD Win User

Default App Settings Do Not Save on Restart or Reboot in Windows 10

Ever since my latest Windows Update, my computer will not "remember" my default app settings after a reboot or restarting my computer. I can change the default apps while I am actively using the computer, but upon shutdown or simply restarting, those setting return to their default values.

I am currently running 64 bit Windows 10 - Version 1909 - OS Build 18363.752

I see that there are a number of previous posts about this issue in years past, but none of the solutions suggested in those posting have resolved this issue for me. I can't imagine I am the only one experiencing this issue.

I have tried:

Using the Powershell to repaid corrupt system files and the DISM tool to scan and restore system health.

Disabling my antivirus and antimalware software before changing default settings and then restarting.

Does anyone have a fix out there? Is this simply another Windows Update issues that we have to wait on until the next update is rolled out?

Thanks in advance for any help out there.

:)

CuriousOD, Apr 4, 2020

2. Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot.

This did not work for me. Please help.

AbhishekWagh, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Apr 4, 2020
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Default App Settings Do Not Save on Restart or Reboot in Windows 10 :(

puma99dk|, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Default App Settings Do Not Save on Restart or Reboot in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Default App Settings

2. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  3. Default apps settings resets on every restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps settings resets on every restart.: I recently upgraded my Lenovo Think Centre desktop to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I altered the default app settings for Chrome, Acrobat Reader, etc., but every time I restart my computer, they are reset. I've tried some of the forum-recommended fixes, including...
  4. Setting Drive D as Default save area for Apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting Drive D as Default save area for Apps: need help with selecting default drives to store appson the storage tab in the main settings , there is an option to change where new content is saved. the default is Disk C for me, however there is not enough space to save a game called Ark from the new Xbox App Store. in...
  5. Windows 10 Settings reset to default after reboot

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Settings reset to default after reboot: If Windows 10 keeps resetting all your settings to default, then here are a few things you need to take a look at. Imagine all setting rest to default automatically every time you shut down or restart your computer. A few users have been complaining about the issue. Let’s see...
  6. Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot: Hi, Windows 10 version 1909 OS Build 18363.720 It's been almost a month since Windows 10 resets all programs to its default Windows 10 programs automatically after restarting or shutting down the computer. This situation is very frustrating and annoying. It is not even...
  7. Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot.

Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot.: There are a couple of programs that I like to have as my default programs, my Browser (Firefox) and my media player (VLC) and I can change them to be the defaults, BUT every time I restart or reboot my computer they get changed back to the windows defaults like Microsoft...
  8. WORDPAD for Windows 10 setting AND SAVING as DEFAULTS

WORDPAD for Windows 10 setting AND SAVING as DEFAULTS: I really do not like the SPACING default of "1.15" and change it to 1.0. BUT despite wasting lots of time reading others opinion of how to CHANGE TO DEFAULT, has been a total waste of time. I CAN'T FIND A "SAVE AS DEFAULT of ANY CUSTOMIZATION I TRY TO DO. Question: IS...
  9. Default App not saving

Default App not saving: I'm trying to have all image files open in Windows Photo Viewer instead of the new Photos app. I already edited my registry to get the option to use WPV, and have successfully associated .jpg files with it. I have tried many times to associate other extensions, too, but none...
  10. Setting default save location?

Setting default save location?: I have a friend who is asking me for some help with her computer. It's a fairly basic issue but I'm afraid I don't know the answer so I thought I'd try here. Some of her programs are saving to OneDrive, otherwise known as The Cloud. She strongly prefers to save to her own...