Windows 10: Default application for opening PDF files changes to Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Default application for opening PDF files changes to Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Good afternoon, I am at a loss with one user issue at our organization. She is currently running into an issue with .PDF extension randomly changing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ITMan_365, Jan 17, 2020.

1. ITMan_365 Win User

Default application for opening PDF files changes to Microsoft Edge

Good afternoon,

I am at a loss with one user issue at our organization. She is currently running into an issue with .PDF extension randomly changing. She uses Bluebeam as her default PDF program but when it changes it defaults to Microsoft Edge. I have tried nearly everything I could think of. I have removed her local profile, I reset windows. I rebuilt her a new PC.

I upgraded all programs to the latest versions. I upgraded Windows to 1909. I had her use a completely different active directory account. I deleted MS Edge. I know this has something to do with user choice. I tried all those registry changes but it keeps changing. I tried the default association .xml trick no luck. Microsoft why can't you just remove the user choice process when Windows thinks a program is a issue. That should not be up to Microsoft to determine. Has anyone had any luck with this? I'm ready to pull my hair out.

***Modified title from: Windows 10 PDF bug***

:)

ITMan_365, Jan 17, 2020

2. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Microsoft Edge is not the default for PDF files

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change Microsoft edge as a default file type for .PDF files and check if it helps.

1. Click on
    Start Menu
    > Settings > System >
    Default Apps

2. Scroll down and select ‘Choose default Apps by file type‘.

3. Scroll down and look for.pdfon the left side, click on ‘Microsoft Edge‘ to select, once ‘Choose
    an app’ popup opens, select the application you want to set as default to open PDF file type, done.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Wynona Win User

change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

Have you set your default PDF reader to Nuance Power PDF Advanced?

Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Choose default apps by file type>scroll down to .pdf on the left side of your screen, then click on the default app (most likely Edge). A list of available PDF reading apps should show up . . . click on your Nuance PDF reader and select it as your default. As you can see, I use Adobe Reader. *Smile

Default application for opening PDF files changes to Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

Default application for opening PDF files changes to Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

Wynona, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Default application for opening PDF files changes to Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Default application opening

2. Prompt to "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading pdf files?" appears in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prompt to "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading pdf files?" appears in...: Windows 10 20H2Microsoft Edge 103.0.1264.62Acrobat Standard DC 2022.001.20117Acrobat is set as default .PDF viewer in Default AppsWhen I turn on Preview Pane in File Explorer and select a PDF file, a banner appears across the top of the preview pane asking me to "Set...
  3. Prompt to "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading pdf files?" appears in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prompt to "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading pdf files?" appears in...: Windows 10 20H2Microsoft Edge 103.0.1264.62Acrobat Standard DC 2022.001.20117Acrobat is set as default .PDF viewer in Default AppsWhen I turn on Preview Pane in File Explorer and select a PDF file, a banner appears across the top of the preview pane asking me to "Set...
  4. Prompt to "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading pdf files?" appears in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files

Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files: Good day Supporti have problem with Edge keeps on hijacking my PDF, i have tried changing default app to adobe acrobat , but after a reboot edge becomes the default app. Please help ?Edge is up to date. Microsoft EdgeVersion 92.0.902.73 Official build 64-bitAcrobat reader is...
  6. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  7. Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites: Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a forum that has a thread with a pdf file attached. It wants me to save the pdf to my HD instead. I'm using Adobe Reader and this is the first I have noticed this change. Edge Version 80.361.62 64bit The Extension App shows pdf...
  8. Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge)

in Windows 10 Support
    Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge): My Windows 7 desktop came with Nuance pdf Reader installed. My Windows 10 default is Edge, but I don't like it and I use Internet Explorer 11 for a browser. Can you suggest a pdf Reader? Thanks, cb 119456
  9. change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

in Microsoft Office and 365
    change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals: My default PDF viewer in MS Edge IS set to Nuance Power PDF Advanced BUT when a portal opens something that will be viewed as a PDF, it is still view in MS Edge. I'm believe I am up-to-date on all updates of all programs/apps. if there is anything else anyone needs to know...
  10. microsoft edge keep opening PDF files

in Browsers and Email
    microsoft edge keep opening PDF files: Yes I have done that without joy still Microsoft Edge keeps hijacking my .pdf files. [img]