Windows 10: Default apps and preferences resetting after update

Discus and support Default apps and preferences resetting after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just recently installed Windows 10 on my new pc and it already had an update, after the update the following happen after I turn my computer on:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by manda.grace, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Default apps and preferences resetting after update

I just recently installed Windows 10 on my new pc and it already had an update, after the update the following happen after I turn my computer on:

-default apps reset to Windows defaults

-Chrome browser resets and logs me out of Google accounts

-personalization settings reset to Windows defaults

-programs pinned to taskbar revert to Windows defaults

-programs pinned to desktop disappear

Any ideas to get this to stop? It's getting really frustrating to have to change my settings every time I log in

:)

manda.grace, Sep 21, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Default programs repeatedly reset to "MS" programs/apps

I had the same problem.
    Possible causes:
    1. Acrobat preference does not work and if you click on it, it will reset to Windows default acrobat reader with the message:

Default apps and preferences resetting after update [​IMG]
    2. If Windows has update for Acrobat reader App, it will reset it to default.

Just set it from Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Your default programs
    High lite Acrobat then click on: Set this program as default.

Default apps and preferences resetting after update [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Anna Bon Win User
    Windows Keeps resetting app preferences

Hi DanielGibbons,

We understand that you are having issues with your Windows app preferences. Please answer the questions below so we can assist you further:

• What specific update was applied on your Windows 10?
    • Did it also reset your PC settings configuration, or just the app preferences specifically for videos and picture files?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, you can also try the steps below and check if it will work:

1. Perform a clean boot.
    It will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Also, it helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program, or an update, or when you run a program in Windows.

2. Once done, try to set again your preferences for videos and picture files.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anna Bon, Sep 21, 2020
  4. Default apps and preferences resetting after update

An app default was reset

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can imagine that must be frustrating.

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Uninstall update

Follow the steps below and check if there is a KB3135173 update installed in the computer. This update has been known to cause this issue sometimes.

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type appwiz.cpl and press enter.

3. Click "view installed updates".

4. Locate the KB update and uninstall it if its installed.

Method 2: Re-assign default apps manually

As the app default was restored to default, you will have to manually re-assign the preferred default apps again. Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.

2. Click system > default apps

3. Re-assign the apps accordingly.

Let us know if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Default apps and preferences resetting after update

1. Default apps and preferences resetting after update - Similar Threads - Default apps preferences

2. App volume and preferences reset to default after every reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    App volume and preferences reset to default after every reboot: I'm using Wave link software by elgato to separate and organize audio outputs from programs, games, browser, system etc. I've noticed that every time I shut down my system for the night and boot up the next day these custom outputs I set in advanced sound settings under app...
  3. How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Microsoft has now introduced a new Graphics settings page for Multi-GPU systems that allows […] This article How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. App default was reset

App default was reset: Windows is showing App default was reset again and again , even though no changes were done by me then also it is showing notification as App default was reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-default-was-reset/8235d04e-8ce2-4eaa-88d4-d5012b6c5d14
  5. An app default was reset

An app default was reset: A few days ago this message appeared in my notification. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .raw so it was reset to Photos Now start up and sign in are sometime slow/sluggish and sometimes before sign in i get a momentary...
  6. Default apps reset after every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default apps reset after every reboot: So out of the Blue, I noticed that Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore (it started asking about it again), so I went into the settings and set everything again (not just the browser, every default app) but after a reboot, Firefox asked me again so it clearly doesn't...
  7. 1903 Update is Resetting App Defaults

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    1903 Update is Resetting App Defaults: Hello, I am getting a W10 Education V 1903 computer ready for imaging, but I'm running into an issue where new users who login have several notifications that their apps have been reset. I have tried setting the app defaults via a local xml file pushed that is enabled with a...
  8. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  9. Speakers Are Resetting To Default After Updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speakers Are Resetting To Default After Updates: No, there are no driver or device issues (first thing I checked). Everything worked absolutely fine on Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 and my speaker default is reset with each update (along with practically everything else because, well, Windows 10). ***Moved From:...
  10. App defaults resetting

App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69