Windows 10: Default apps does not allow me to add custom program

Discus and support Default apps does not allow me to add custom program in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I attempt to change the default app for a certain file extension, like .bat, it has no suggestions, and just gives one option that says "Look for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BaconPizza, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Default apps does not allow me to add custom program

When I attempt to change the default app for a certain file extension, like .bat, it has no suggestions, and just gives one option that says "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store". What moron at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to remove the option to browse for a program that I already have on my PC that I want it to use? I'm sure it's possible, but they seem to be putting effort into making this harder to do.

:)

BaconPizza, Oct 20, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Default apps does not allow me to add custom program :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 20, 2019
  3. Make Adobe Pro default PDF program

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions.

• Do you get any error message?
    • How are you trying to set the program as default?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Click on Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down to “.pdf” extention and click on the corresponding app on the right side of the extention and change it to Adobe and check for status.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 20, 2019
  4. Default apps does not allow me to add custom program

Windows 10 Default Programs

Hi Kenneth,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set as default app.

• In the search box, type “settings”.
    • Click on “system” and on the left hand corner click on
      “default apps”.
    • Under “choose default apps” click on the “+” symbol and you can
      add the apps.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Default apps does not allow me to add custom program

1. Default apps does not allow me to add custom program - Similar Threads - Default apps does

2. Windows does not allow me to install an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not allow me to install an app: I'm trying to install an app but it's not letting me to install any software. I can only install from Microsoft App Store. Any help will be appreciated....
  3. Add custom program to Default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add custom program to Default apps: Hi, I want to select a custom program as my music player, photo viewer and video player in the settings. Its a standalone .exe file. I know I can change it for a single file type using right click -> open with, but it would be easier if I could register the program to appear...
  4. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  5. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  6. Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application: I have two versions of the same app. Currently, in Default Apps, the associated app is the wrong version and I need to change it. When I go to Default Apps and click to change it, it does not give me the option of the other version -- presumably because they are the same name...
  7. Version 1803 does not allow me to set defaults by app - MoBEX error

Version 1803 does not allow me to set defaults by app - MoBEX error: Hi - the recent 1803 update seems to have broken my ability to set default program by app (Settings -> Apps and Features -> Default apps -> Set defaults by app) on a Windows 10 Pro machine. Selecting this option causes the Set Default by app screen to open briefly, then...
  8. Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.: Hi, Yesterday I downloaded the new Opera 36 Browser. I like the look of it and would like to trial it for a while. However when I attempted to set it as default in Settings/Default Apps it will not accept the Opera Icon. I visited select defaults for Apps and ticked access...
  9. Add email app not allowing me to add any accounts at all

in Browsers and Email
    Add email app not allowing me to add any accounts at all: I am trying to add email accounts to the mail app and it won't allow any emails to be added-it never comes up to any place at all that can be filled in. I tried to sign into my microsoft account through the accounts in settings but I am having the same issue with that as...
  10. How to add app to Win10 default programs

How to add app to Win10 default programs: Hi, I installed some softwares (for audio and vedio) in my Win10 Laptop, which are not shown in Default program list. I wonder how to add these installed programs to the Default program list. Thanks. 65898