Windows 10: Default Apps for a file type

Discus and support Default Apps for a file type in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please provide and easy way to have a default "Open" program for a file, and a separate "Edit" program for a file! For example, I want to have a jpg... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnTangney, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Default Apps for a file type

Please provide and easy way to have a default "Open" program for a file, and a separate "Edit" program for a file! For example, I want to have a jpg file open by default with the standard Photos app, but when you right click to "Edit" the file, I want to assign that to a different program.

:)

JohnTangney, Dec 7, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to change default app by file type

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that you want to change the default app for GED files as Roots Magic, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to avoid redundancy
    of steps.

As you have mentioned that GED files are opened with Photoshop, we can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Change default app using the file

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location where you have saved the GED files, right click on any of the file and select
      Properties.
    2. Under Open with, click on
      Change
    3. Now, click on More apps, scroll down and look for Roots Magic application.
    4. If Roots Magic is not available in the list then, click on
      Look for another app on this PC and select the application using the location.

Method 2: Change default app using Settings.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps.
    3. Click on Default apps, on the left pane.
    4. Now, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    5. Scroll down, look for .GED file type and click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Now, select the Roots Magic application.

If the issue persists, you may create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 7, 2019
  3. Karen1941 Win User
    Unable to change default app by file type

I already tried both methods several times to no avail. GED is among the file types on the list and it is associated with Photoshop as its default app.

Roots Magic is not among the apps on the list so I had to click the store and it is not offered by the store either. The store offers a few low-ended genealogical database apps but Roots Magic is not among them. I had already paid for it and installed
    it and have been using it for many years and do not wish to change to an app MS offers at its store.

This started to happen when Windows did its recent long update, and I am wondering if it switched the default app from Roots Magic to Photoshop which most certainly does not accept GED as among its file extensions.

This is happening on both of my computers, desktop and laptop.

I am thinking I may have to uninstall Roots Magic and do it all over again, making sure that it is installed as the default app.

Karen1941, Dec 7, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Default Apps for a file type

Setting default program by file type

Welcome to Ten Forums Pearson240

See this tutorial, Option Two, Step 3.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Bree, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

Default Apps for a file type

1. Default Apps for a file type - Similar Threads - Default Apps file

2. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  3. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove default app by file type: microsoft let the default app for .nds files internet explorer, does anyone know how to reset the default app for .nds files to none? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-default-app-by-file-type/314aba23-2f40-4dea-bfa6-2b579a31194a
  4. remove default app by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  6. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps by file type: In the default apps by file type, My dad accidentally click the internet explorer as a default app "opener" for a PPT File. And I wanted to restore it back to the default setting but there has no setting for it, and the only solution for that is to find another app in the...
  7. default app for file type

default app for file type: I entered improper default app for file type. How do I delete the incorrect one. I have gone to Settings>Apps>Default App>scrolled to bottom and selected Choose Default App by File Type. New window appears and I scroll down to the file type which is .pdf. I somehow...
  8. Default app for file type

Default app for file type: every time I want to make illustrator the default app for the .ai files, it doesn't do anything, is there something I'm doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-for-file-type/7657bc77-b72c-4789-872e-de300c6783ef
  9. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  10. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...