Windows 10: Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application

Discus and support Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have two versions of the same app. Currently, in Default Apps, the associated app is the wrong version and I need to change it. When I go to Default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Allen2357, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Allen2357 Win User

Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application

I have two versions of the same app. Currently, in Default Apps, the associated app is the wrong version and I need to change it. When I go to Default Apps and click to change it, it does not give me the option of the other version -- presumably because they are the same name and you need to pay your developers more money to not write **** code that is dependent on the app name. The only other option is to select something from the Windows Store. Why in the world is there not a simple option to pick one from my PC?? You do realize it's nearly 2021 now, right? It's the future, and you still haven't added the simplest of functionality here... and don't get me started about why there's no way to filter this enormous list of file associations. This kind of **** is why people choose Apple/OSX or Windows. I'm so frustrated right now. This is an unacceptable user experience.

Note: I did right-click a file of the type in question and selected "Open With..." and chose the correct app using the type of file picker dialog box I would expect to be available to me in Default Apps. This did change default association with that filetype in Default Apps. However there are several other associations for various protocols and filetypes for this app that also need to be changed in Default Apps, but I have no way to do it. See rant in previous paragraph. While you're re-reading it, I'll be busy cursing about Windows' shortcomings and setting up my new MacBook Pro.

:)

Allen2357, Oct 10, 2020
  2. shytot Win User

Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

Hi
    I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a couple of times but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

shytot, Oct 10, 2020
  3. robgr Win User
    Default Applications - Can't select Outlook 2013

Hi,
    I have Office 2016 but have to use Outlook 2013 due to Exchange limitations for my corporate email account
    All works well except when choosing default applications the list only has Outlook 2016
    This is a problem as I want to configure the MAILTO (URL:MailTo) protocol to Outlook 2013 (the version I use)
    I can't have both versions running together so how can I edit the list/select Outlook 2013 when choosing the default apps for email/MAILTO?

robgr, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application

Installing Applications to Select User Accounts

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to avoid the access of all the application in all users. We will help you try resolving this issue.

I suggest you to check while installing any software it gives an option to install on all users or any particular user only.

However this would be application specific to manufacturer.

You can try following the below steps also and check if it helps.

• When you install the software or an application, it makes a shortcut or copy to the public folder where all the users can access the application.
    • Open C:\ Drive and select Users.
    • Select Public, select the files which you don't want to be used by other users and delete the files or Cut and paste in Admin account folder.
    Note: To perform this steps be logged into Admin user.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application

1. Default Apps not allowing me to select an installed application - Similar Threads - Default Apps allowing

2. Does Microsoft PowerToys App allow selective install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Microsoft PowerToys App allow selective install?: I need some PowerToys such as following but concerned about risk for others such as TweakUI.Command Prompt Here opened a command prompt in the current directory.Explore from Here opened File Explorer in the current directory.Is it possible to selectively install to avoid...
  3. Does Microsoft PowerToys App allow selective install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Microsoft PowerToys App allow selective install?: I need some PowerToys such as following but concerned about risk for others such as TweakUI.Command Prompt Here opened a command prompt in the current directory.Explore from Here opened File Explorer in the current directory.Is it possible to selectively install to avoid...
  4. Does Microsoft PowerToys App allow selective install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. XBOX App does not allow me to select drive to install game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XBOX App does not allow me to select drive to install game.: Hi all,I am trying to install games for 3 days, tried many "tutorials" from YT how to choose drive,but nothing works. Earlier everything was working fine, but now I guess after last update it won't.Anyone has an idea how to fix it? Screenshoot attached....
  6. XBOX App does not allow me to select drive to install game.

XBOX App does not allow me to select drive to install game.: Hi all,I am trying to install games for 3 days, tried many "tutorials" from YT how to choose drive,but nothing works. Earlier everything was working fine, but now I guess after last update it won't.Anyone has an idea how to fix it? Screenshoot attached....
  7. Google apps not selectable for default apps

Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  8. xbox app no longer allowing me to select a drive to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbox app no longer allowing me to select a drive to install: At some point recently, I don't know exactly when, I'm no longer allowed to select a drive to install my games on via the xbox app in windows 10.I have all the latest windows updates, and have tried the tricks of changing the "installed apps" location in settings, uninstall...
  9. How select non-Microsoft Store applications as the default apps?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How select non-Microsoft Store applications as the default apps?: I have included some hyperlinks to local PDF files in an Excel spreadsheet, and it is defaulting to opening in Adobe Acrobat, when I need to open the PDFs in Revu Bluebeam, which is already setup as the default PDF application on my PC. I assume that the issue is that Excel...
  10. Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.: Hi, Yesterday I downloaded the new Opera 36 Browser. I like the look of it and would like to trial it for a while. However when I attempted to set it as default in Settings/Default Apps it will not accept the Opera Icon. I visited select defaults for Apps and ticked access...