Windows 10: Default Apps Problem

Discus and support Default Apps Problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I go into settings and change my default app for photo viewing and Windows keeps changing it back to the windows photo app. I prefer my software for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Marshall Moore, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Default Apps Problem

I go into settings and change my default app for photo viewing and Windows keeps changing it back to the windows photo app. I prefer my software for photos. What can I do?

Thanks

:)

Marshall Moore, Dec 27, 2015
  2. HarshD17 Win User

Windows default apps problem

Thank You so much

That command really helped

Thanks for Helping

HarshD17, Dec 27, 2015
  3. Windows default apps problem

Reinstall all Windows Store apps:

Open Start, type: powershell

Right click PowerShell

Click Run as administrator

Type the following command then hit Enter, exit PowerShell then restart, then try updating through the Store again.

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

If that does not work, try performing a repair upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2015
  4. nabucco Win User

Default Apps Problem

Generally, your software has a menu or menu item "Options" or "Configuration" with a "Set associations" item.

nabucco, Dec 27, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Which program do you want to be the default ?

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
  6. I have Ashampoo Photo Commander 14. I have used the program to set file associations, however in a short time it becomes reset back to Windows Photo Viewer.

7. davidhk Win User
    Do you have Open With context menu installed ?
    If no, use this tutorial :
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

See if you can use Open With to set your default program......
    Right click at one of your image files > click Open With > at the bottom, click Choose another app > scroll the list to find Ashampoo Photo Commander > click it > check the box "Always use this app to open..... > OK when done.

See if this time the default setting will stay.

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
  8. Default Apps Problem

Yes, I have tried that too. I went into programs and features and tried to see if I could uninstall the windows app but it is not listed. I can open the program with (open with) context menu but , still will change back.

Thanks for suggestion.

9. pyramid10 Win User
    You have to associate more than one, maybe a few more, extension to that particular program for the program to be available as a preferred default.

In my case, XNView was not even available as an option in the Default Apps. I made one association and it was still not available. I made a few more associations and XNView became available.

pyramid10, Dec 27, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, from Win 8 on if I recall correctly you can no longer change associations from within a program.
    VLC player is one of the few with which you get a message that actually tells you what to do if you try using its GUI to set an association.

Default Apps Problem [​IMG]

Which leaves the confusing situation that e.g. Ashampoo Photo Commander appears to allow you to set an assocation, but nothing happens, no error message.

So you need to use Settings, (search for) Default or Control Panel, Default Programs, or Open with + Always use this program

dalchina, Dec 28, 2015
  11. Thanks for the advice. I have already tried every method suggested. I guess its a mystery. The only way I can use the program is to open it first then open the image file or right click the file and use open with in the context menu. I wish I could just double click the image.

Marshall Moore, Dec 28, 2015
  12. davidhk Win User
    I don't know if you have tried this........
    Let's use jpg as an example and you want all jpg files to be opened by Ashampoo Photo Commander 14.

Type control panel into the search box > Enter > top right, click View by and select small > select Default Programs > select Associate a file type or protocol...... >wait for loading > left side, scroll down to .jpg > click it > top right click Change program > scroll to find shampoo Photo Commander 14 > click it > click OK.

Now try double click at a jpg file > click Open.
    Will it open with the shampoo Photo Commander 14 ?
    Will the default setting stick on reboot ?

davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
  13. Default Apps Problem

It didn't stick. Tried it before and after reboot. I wonder if I'm the only one that has had this problem.

Thanks

Marshall Moore, Dec 28, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    No, you are not the only one.
    There is one having the same issue.

Sorry, I have no other ideas to help you.

Happy New Year.

davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
  15. davidhk Win User
    You probably find this suggestion akin to "killing a fly with a nuclear bomb ".
    However, if you have time to kill and willing to do so, perhaps doing a Repair Install would solve the nagging issue.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
Thema:

Default Apps Problem

1. Default Apps Problem - Similar Threads - Default Apps Problem

2. Windows v1903 Default App Problem

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Windows v1903 Default App Problem: So, I just done a fresh install of v1903. It will not let me install my genuine copy of Office University (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). It says it can't be installed at the same time as "O365ProPlusRetail". Nothing is showing under Add/Remove Programs either. There's nothing...
  3. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options....
  4. default apps problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default apps problem: After latest upgrade I can not change any default application. Could you help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-apps-problem/b2adf23d-9b82-47d2-91f6-8ab67c816dfb
  5. Problem with default apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with default apps: When I change settings of my default apps to preferred one and then restart the system, the preferred disappear and they come to the default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-default-apps/ec2e27b3-3480-4e8a-bcdf-02bd28ecc4a3
  6. App caused a problem with the default app settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    App caused a problem with the default app settings.: After the latest Windows Home update, Windows is giving the message 'An app caused a problem with the default app setting files, so it was reset to Photos. A similar messsage appears for .cr2 files and .NEF files. All of my 'photo' and 'image editing programs are...
  7. Problem with reinstalling default apps

Problem with reinstalling default apps: I am having a problem with reinstalling the default apps of Windows 10. When I have uninstalled an app, and then try to reinstall the default package through: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  8. Problem with Default apps

Problem with Default apps: Hello again everyone, This is something else I found happening to my PC since the installation of the windows 10 pro (service pack) update. I change all the default apps to apps I prefer to use by selecting them as you would in the defaults app area. I have been using these...
  9. Setting Default App Problem

Setting Default App Problem: I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in MS Edge. I try to set the Default App by Type to Acrobat, but even if I select it in the drop down table, it refuses to change. How can I PERMANENTLY set my...
  10. An app default was reset. 11/14/16 Problem .file defaults

An app default was reset. 11/14/16 Problem .file defaults: I was on my computer last night tell about 2300 PT turned if off for the night/next day. booted it back up around 1700 the next day found about 20 of these (An app default was reset) setting in the notification area. When i click on action center and then on the notification...