Windows 10: Default apps reset after every reboot

Discus and support Default apps reset after every reboot in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So out of the Blue, I noticed that Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore (it started asking about it again), so I went into the settings and set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FireWire400, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Default apps reset after every reboot

So out of the Blue, I noticed that Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore (it started asking about it again), so I went into the settings and set everything again (not just the browser, every default app) but after a reboot, Firefox asked me again so it clearly doesn't keep the settings anymore for some reason.

It seems to be caused by the KB4550945 Update I installed recently but I have no idea.

Windows 10 x64 1909 Build 18363.815

submitted by /u/FireWire400
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FireWire400, Apr 29, 2020

2. Resetting Default App in Widows 10

Hi Peter,

Some of the possible reason why you're default apps reset every reboot is due to corrupted system files or third party software. We suggest that you set at least 2 or 3 default apps then perform a clean boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any
    third party programs. Click this
    link
    to view the steps on how to perform a clean boot.

Let us know if the suggestions help you in resolving the problem.

Regile Reb, May 23, 2020
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Default apps reset after every reboot :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 23, 2020
  4. Default apps reset after every reboot

Windows 10 resetting default programs on restart/reboot.

This did not work for me. Please help.

AbhishekWagh, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Default apps reset after every reboot

1. Default apps reset after every reboot - Similar Threads - Default apps reset

2. Windows 10 resets default storage locations to Temp at every reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 resets default storage locations to Temp at every reboot: I have a Windows 10 laptop. Every time the system is rebooted, it defaults back to a temp set up. All items pinned to the taskbar are no longer there. The default location for Documents, downloads, pictures and desktop reverts to C:\users\Temp. I have changed the locations in...
  3. Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.: Hi, I've reset my PC recently, and since then, my Start Menu keeps resetting to its default after restarting my PC. Also, when I try to pin any apps to the Start Menu, they don't physically appear in the menu. But when I right click the app again, the option "unpin from...
  4. Double height on taskbar resets on every reboot

Double height on taskbar resets on every reboot: I like to have my taskbar on double height and auto-hiding. But after every reboot, it gets set back to single height. Locking the taskbar in the registry doesn't help. I have scanned my current version for corrupted files and found none. In the past, it was never a...
  5. Windows 10 start Menu resets to default after reboot

Windows 10 start Menu resets to default after reboot: Hello, i recently purchased new windows 10 laptop. Everything runs smooth however, whenever i try to change my menu layout or try to unpin applications from the start menu, it gets reset after rebooting the system. How can i fix this issue?...
  6. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  7. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options....
  8. Default app will be reset every time

Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...
  9. Reboot resets start menu to default

Reboot resets start menu to default: After the latest update my Start Menu always resets to default after every start/restart. I've done everything to fix the issue I've found in other forums (removing registry key & checking video drivers) when this issue has popped up before except create a new admin profile....
  10. App defaults resetting

App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix my computer reset every time it restarts

2. Why does my computer reset itself every month