Windows 10: default apps stopped working

Discus and support default apps stopped working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After April update, default apps stopped working. How can I fix the issue?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KendallS11, May 30, 2020.

1. default apps stopped working

After April update, default apps stopped working. How can I fix the issue?

:)

KendallS11, May 30, 2020

2. Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 30, 2020
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done default apps stopped working :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 30, 2020
  4. default apps stopped working

Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the default apps on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you using Microsoft account?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access defaults apps on Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files. Let us try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if you are able to access the apps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 30, 2020
Thema:

default apps stopped working

1. default apps stopped working - Similar Threads - default apps stopped

2. Default app setting not working for MKV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default app setting not working for MKV: HiWhen I try to associate a default app to .mkv files the "Choose a default" option remains grayed.This is annoying since every time I double click an mkv file I need to select the appAny idea?...
  3. No default apps present, and nothing works.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    No default apps present, and nothing works.: So a month ago I recieved a new computer running Windows 10. While I was setting up, I noticed that most apps like calculator, maps, messaging, feedback hub, Microsoft Store are missing. I tried opening them, but a message kept popping up saying "you'll need a new app to open...
  4. Firewall and default apps are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Firewall and default apps are not working: Few months back my xbox bar was not working. Then I tried to reinstall it through Microsoft Store but I just can't reinstall it. Then after few days Microsoft Store stopped working. It just won't open. I reset it through Settings->Apps but it still won't open. Then I...
  5. Windows 10 default apps not working

Windows 10 default apps not working: Hello, I tried to download something from the Microsoft Store, but when I opened it, it crashed, it keeps repeating. Same for any app except settings. My calculator, calendar, groove or photos and mail don't open. Is there any way of fixing it?...
  6. Default apps not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps not working on windows 10: Hey there!!! Recently i noticed that none of the preinstalled softwares from windows 10 are not working on my laptop. I own a Dell Inspiron 7000 series gaming laptop with gtx 1050ti gpu. I dont know if the problem came up due to the new windows 10 update because i dont...
  7. Changing default app not working

Changing default app not working: I installed Windows 10 Education 1803, and installed Notepad++, which is in my opinion, a far better Notepad. So I changed XML, TXT and other types of files' defaults to Notepad++. However, no matter what, they'll always open with their stock Notepad (or WordPad for XML...
  8. Default apps by file types not working

Default apps by file types not working: I've tried many things. The following attempts did NOT work: - right click > open with > choose another app > always open with - settings > choose default apps by file type - removing "UserChoice" from registry for any file type in question. - right click > properties >...
  9. Gmail default stopped working

Gmail default stopped working: Gmail is my default program and I use it from Chrome. I can no longer click on file to send it by email as I get the message to say that there is no email program associated. My default app is set as Chrome, and G Mail is set in Chrome "Handlers". As it worked before, has...
  10. Apps stop working.

Apps stop working.: Hi, In the Reliability Monitor it claims that Photo App - stopped working. I used it briefly and closed it down and saw no evidence of any problem but as stated above the Monitor claims it stopped working. Am I closing it down incorrectly; I use the close button 'X' top...