Windows 10: Default beep/ding sound when using explorer file operations

Discus and support Default beep/ding sound when using explorer file operations in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every time I move/copy/delete a file using Explorer, I hear a beep sound, the default windows Ding. Doesn't matter if I use copypaste or drag&drop or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thanatica, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Default beep/ding sound when using explorer file operations

Every time I move/copy/delete a file using Explorer, I hear a beep sound, the default windows Ding. Doesn't matter if I use copypaste or drag&drop or whatever, as long as I use the Explorer (or by extension, just the desktop). Even other applications using the same internal API's to do file operations, will produce a ding sound for every individual file moved/copied/deleted. This happens for any file from anywhere to anywhere else. I have multiple physical storage disks, and they can't all be faulty, so faulty storage is not the cause.

I do not hear this sound when I move a file using Total Commander, which uses a different underlying API to achieve the same thing.

I also ocasionally hear a ding sound when doing things in Settings. Can't put my finger on when exactly, but it's definitely not random.

I can literally go into the Sounds panel and disable the sound for "Default Beep", which works around the problem. So then, reverting sound to the default scheme does not help. I would also rather like to know why this is happening, so we can get it fixed properly.

This is on a fairly virgin Windows 10 20H2 install. I literally installed it yesterday using a freshly-made bootable USB. I did let it update fully, but this sound problem only started happening once I connected the speakers today, so it might have been happening on the very first boot, but I don't know.

Does anyone know what this is and how to fix? Or anyone knows how to at least diagnose what's going on, and what the reason for these ding sounds is?

submitted by /u/thanatica
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/thanatica, Apr 8, 2021
  2. GosuSheep Win User

"Ding" sound (e.g. from adjusting volume) no longer plays

When adjusting volume on Windows, the system will play a "ding" sound to help you gauge the current volume. That sound no longer plays on my machine.

What I've done:

• Tried various output devices (speakers, headerphones, monitor speakers, etc.)
    • Updated mobo and sound card drivers
    • Played the .wav files (C:\Windows\media) in a media player to ensure the files are not corrupted

Methods that SHOULD play the sound but don't:

• Adjust volume
    • {Windows_key} (search) --> type "sound" --> {Enter} --> "Sounds" tab --> Scroll to "Default Beep" --> click "Test"
    • Running some batch file that echoes 0x007
    • `echo ^G`

Thanks for your time.

GosuSheep, Apr 8, 2021
  3. gmopro Win User
    File Explorer - ding sound when saving as to a folder

This is pretty minor, but every time i try and save as a file to a location, i hear a ding sound.

How do i turn that off. Not a fan of the ding. ding ding ding

gmopro, Apr 8, 2021
  4. gmopro Win User

Default beep/ding sound when using explorer file operations

File Explorer - ding sound when saving as to a folder

it still does the DING sound when i save an EXCEL file to a folder. annoying. Need that removed. why ding?

oh wait a second. I figured this out.

I am used to double-clicking when opening folders because that is what we do in File explorer. you click it twice.

So when i do a File save as in Excel and then see the Browse folder, i think i should click it twice (rapid double click).

nope! in this case, you need to only click once! hard to train mind for that when it is always a double.

So the case of the ding is solved. Yay! just one click in this type of folder!!

gmopro, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Default beep/ding sound when using explorer file operations

1. Default beep/ding sound when using explorer file operations - Similar Threads - Default beep ding

2. Laptop making ding sound .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop making ding sound .: Hello guys ,I got a new laptop couple of days ago and its making a ding sound even after muted and a notice a little hitch when it makes the sound . Everything else is running fine. laptop is super quiet and its not fan noise . Some people told me that it maybe is a HDD sound...
  3. Laptop making ding sound .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop making ding sound .: Hello guys ,I got a new laptop couple of days ago and its making a ding sound even after muted and a notice a little hitch when it makes the sound . Everything else is running fine. laptop is super quiet and its not fan noise . Some people told me that it maybe is a HDD sound...
  4. Beeping sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Beeping sound: My Win10 HP laptop infrequently makes beeping sounds lasting about a minute or two. HP won't help me without my signing up for its paid "Friends" service, which has proved useless in the past. The beeps very likely are an alert of some kind my computer runs as usual. What...
  5. Beeping sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Beeping sound: I'm hearing a beeping sound about every 20 seconds. I ran the troubleshoot but didn't fix the issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/beeping-sound/104bf02c-7a2f-42fe-80b1-34680f8afc5d
  6. beeping sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    beeping sound: Hello there, I purchased Lenovo v15 ada in September and it was perfectly working fine. But since last week it started making beep sounds. I thought it might be some issue with the system but I'm continuously hearing those sounds specially when display goes off. I'm not...
  7. beep sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    beep sound: in windows 10 a continuous beep sound of high frequency comes when master volume of laptop is raised above 64.....so please can u tell what to do ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/beep-sound/8b0ffa5e-017e-4908-98aa-25ba8f3ab048
  8. Beep Sound

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Beep Sound: hey! i have concern that whenever i plug-in and plug-out my charger froom my laptop based on windows 10, beep sound comes out. i am not able to find how to mute that beep sound even if i have mute the system sound kindly help me as it is very disturbing to other at quiet...
  9. Beep sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Beep sound: When i use 2 fingures on touchpad to up and down pages sometimes my laptop start beeping or freeze... Then i have to restart it.. How to fix this..plz help I have hp notebook 15 ba637tu windows 10 1809...
  10. Can't Hear "Ding" Sound When Changing Volume

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Hear "Ding" Sound When Changing Volume: I don't really know where to start. One day I just stopped hearing the ding sound and I don't know why. I haven't changed anything in my sound settings. Normal audio works fine and I can hear everything else. Just this isn't working....