Windows 10: Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in

Discus and support Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Whenever I plug my external monitor into my laptop, it defaults to only displaying on the monitor and I have to manually switch to extending the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AJC1107, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in

Whenever I plug my external monitor into my laptop, it defaults to only displaying on the monitor and I have to manually switch to extending the displays. Is there anyway to change the default behavior so it extends the displays instead of only showing on one of them?

submitted by /u/AJC1107
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AJC1107, Mar 23, 2021
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Mar 23, 2021
  3. dual monitors stops sound

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• When will the sound disable, when playing through main monitor or the extended monitor?
    • Did you try enabling the sound from the sound drivers and check if it helps?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    This issue causes because the monitor automatically takes the HDMI sound as the Default input. Disable and enable the speakers and check if it helps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the volume control and then
      Properties
    • When you connect the HDMI it becomes the default output device, even though it has no speakers.
    • You need to change this back to "Speakers" and set as default.

Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in [​IMG]

Hope this helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in

1. Default behavior when a monitor is plugged in - Similar Threads - Default behavior monitor

2. Media Folder Defaults Automatic Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Folder Defaults Automatic Behavior: I work a lot with media files. I set folders to sort by 'type'. If I make a change in the name or location of the folder, the folder 'sot by' reverts to default media items like 'album'. How can I stop this behavior?...
  3. Plugged in monitor defaults to making the laptop screen turn off.

Plugged in monitor defaults to making the laptop screen turn off.: Whenever I plug my monitor into my laptop using hdmi, the default setup is to only show on the monitor and the laptop screen is black. The setting is "only on screen 2". It is easy to go in and change to what I and literally anyone else would want as default - extend. However...
  4. Plugged in monitor defaults to making the laptop screen turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plugged in monitor defaults to making the laptop screen turn off.: Whenever I plug my monitor into my laptop using hdmi, the default setup is to only show on the monitor and the laptop screen is black. The setting is "only on screen 2". It is easy to go in and change to what I and literally anyone else would want as default - extend. However...
  5. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  6. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  7. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Default Print Screen Behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Print Screen Behavior: I was wondering if there is a way to change the default capture for Print Screen in Windows 10.I use multiple monitors, and tapping print screen as it is, pushes a capture of both monitors to One Drive in the Screen Shots folder, which is great, but I would rather it capture...
  9. Monitor plug

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor plug: I have a video card with a connector that I have attached. Does this mean that the video card is a dual monitor card and the attached dongle will work Thanks
  10. Windows Defender Default Behavior

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Default Behavior: I just started using Windows Defender on my new Windows 10 PC. I uninstalled the Mcafee trial software through the control panel then used the Mcafee uninstall program as well. Initially, Defender wanted to run a quick scan which I did. My question is this: By default, in...