Windows 10: Default/blank app icons on taskbar

Discus and support Default/blank app icons on taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; About 50% of the time so far exactly every other time over several restarts I get the default application icons for anything I personally pinned to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bluebaronglobal, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Default/blank app icons on taskbar

About 50% of the time so far exactly every other time over several restarts I get the default application icons for anything I personally pinned to the task bar. This is a brand-new, fresh install of Windows 10 that I downloaded yesterday with the USB Creator Tool.

I have installed the following programs since Windows install:

Chrome, Firefox, JetBrains Toolbox, Rider, Visual Studio, HexChat, git, office, Greenshot, Slack

I have completed all updates.

I have deleted the iconcache.db

Killing Windows Explorer fixes the issue

Default/blank app icons on taskbar 3a0c4e10-3dba-4716-bf3b-4b243d339d00?upload=true.png

Just refreshed itself while I was writing this thread.

Default/blank app icons on taskbar 9d712f95-7754-4f66-a2e5-c65f43e16cef?upload=true.png

:)

bluebaronglobal, Jan 12, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Blank icon on taskbar windows 10

Hi Jirad,

Corrupted system files or application may be one of the possible causes why some icons in your Taskbar is missing. To efficiently assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with the 3 apps you've mention or with other application also?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried to click those apps with missing icons in your Taskbar?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps shared by Guru Khan G on this
    thread on how to troubleshoot missing Taskbar icons. This will also help you
    scan for corruption and restore corrupted files/Windows corruptions error.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 12, 2021
  3. I changed my taskbar icons and now I don't know how to change them back to their default icon...

Hi AZ,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you would like to change the app icons on the taskbar to default.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 currently installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you referring the default Windows 10 app icon on taskbar?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if you are able to get the default icons.

1. Right Click on the icons in the taskbar and click on Unpin from taskbar.
    2. Now press Windows + I key to launch Settings.
    3. Click on Personalization and select Themes from the left pane.
    4. Click on Desktop icon settings from the right pane.
    5. Click on Restore Default and click OK.
    6. Now click on the Search box and type the app you want to pin to taskbar.
    7. Right click on the app and select Pin to Taskbar.
    8. Now check if you have the default icons.

Please help us with the screenshot of the Taskbar (Press Windows + R key and type msinfo32, click OK) for further investigation. (Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot posted
    by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Let us know the results. We will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Default/blank app icons on taskbar

Blank icons in taskbar on Windows 2016

Hello,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Confirm the said application you're using so we could fully understand the cause of the issue.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest restarting the Explorer.exe on the Task Manager. This may help resolve the issue with blank icons on the Taskbar. Refer to the steps below:

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, then select Task Manager.

2. On the Task Manager window, click on More Details at the bottom left if it doesn't shows the
    Processes tab.

3. Scroll down the list of the Windows processes and locate Windows Explorer and right-click on it and select
    Restart.

Note: The desktop icons and the Taskbar will refresh and will be gone for a moment after this process. It should reappear automatically.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Default/blank app icons on taskbar

1. Default/blank app icons on taskbar - Similar Threads - Default blank app

2. Taskbar icons /apps keep resetting to the "default" icon when pinning to taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons /apps keep resetting to the "default" icon when pinning to taskbar: Hi all,I've been having this issue for ages can't remember exactly when but it has been a while maybe a year and I've been trying to resolve it for ages by trawling the internet and the different ideas people come up with but fed up now so figured I'd create my own post /...
  3. Blank Win11 Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Win11 Taskbar Icons: This has been an ongoing annoying problem since upgrading to Win11. Some of my taskbar icons show blank. see below 4th from left which should be showing the Windows Mail iconI've tried a number of troubleshooting efforts after Googling the problem but nothing seems to help,...
  4. Blank Win11 Taskbar Icons

Blank Win11 Taskbar Icons: This has been an ongoing annoying problem since upgrading to Win11. Some of my taskbar icons show blank. see below 4th from left which should be showing the Windows Mail iconI've tried a number of troubleshooting efforts after Googling the problem but nothing seems to help,...
  5. Blank icon on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank icon on taskbar: When ever I open any app not pinned to taskbar it displays blank icon instead of its real icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-icon-on-taskbar/2d5ccfc2-598f-4155-bd95-33f10c7b785b
  6. Blank icon in taskbar after uninstalling an app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank icon in taskbar after uninstalling an app: [ATTACH] Hey, This blank icon appeared after i uninstalled spotify because it was acting up. The uninstallation process took a while, it seemed that it didn't want to uninstall so i restarted my laptop to see if it would help, and it did, the app is gone (i reinstalled...
  7. Blank icons on the taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blank icons on the taskbar: There is a problem that happened to my computer just now. This also happened to my 2014 computer. Any help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefGYg88SyM Information on Winver: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0 Build 10240 c 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved....
  8. Latest Calculator App Taskbar Icon Blank

Latest Calculator App Taskbar Icon Blank: Since the update to the Calculator app v 10.1906.53.0 today, the taskbar icon is now blank - the other apps work OK. Has anyone else noticed this? 138916
  9. Edge icon blank in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Edge icon blank in taskbar: Any way to fix this easily please? [img] [img] Thanks 36195
  10. Native Windows Apps have blank icons in taskbar.

Native Windows Apps have blank icons in taskbar.: Hello. I upgraded my Windows 10 Pro 64bit to the Fall Creators update. Everything is working fine after the update except the native modern apps whi When I open them, their icons are missing from the taskbar and also from their thumbnails. If I search for the apps...