Windows 10: Default Browser

Discus and support Default Browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have Internet Explorer set as my default browser. Each time I click on a link to website (often in an email) Windows asks which App to use to open... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by PeterAstle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Default Browser

I have Internet Explorer set as my default browser.
    Each time I click on a link to website (often in an email) Windows asks which App to use to open the link.
    I highlight "Internet Explorer" and check the box "Always use this App"
    Sure enough the next time I click on a link the same thing happens.
    No matter how many times I check "Always use this App" Windows asks again.
    I am unable to exit from this infinite loop of interrogation!

:)

PeterAstle, Aug 6, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Browser Defaults

Hi Jack, have you tried this method?

Open the Settings App

Go to Apps - Default Apps

At the bottom, click 'Set defaults by app'

Let the list build

Select Opera in the list on the left

On the right, click 'Set this Program as Default'

The text above that button should change to 'This program has all its defaults'

Close the Settings App Windows

DaveM121, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Default browser

did you experience any errors or did the suggestions simply not have any effect?

i do not recommend removing Edge. Edge is an integral part of windows 10 and you may cause more problems by removing it.

Martmcd, Aug 6, 2015
  4. mrpumpkin Win User

Default Browser

Try going to settings/system/default apps and assign your preference from there.

mrpumpkin, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    I never have that problem and my default browser is Google Chrome.

Rocky, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Thanks, but I tried that and the problem still remains.

PeterAstle, Aug 6, 2015
  7. neomatter Win User
    Try going into Settings>System>Default apps and select 'Set defaults by apps'. Select IE, check the box beside 'select all' and save. See if that helps with the issue. I also do not have this issue, but I am coming from a clean install of Windows 10.

neomatter, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Default Browser

Thanks, but that didn't help either!

I tried setting the links to always open with Google Chrome. The problem disappeared.
    I changed back to IE and the problem came back!!!

PeterAstle, Aug 6, 2015
  9. mrpumpkin Win User
    Here is the "official" way Make Internet Explorer your default browser - Windows Help
    , but it is what has been suggested.

You did not state how you were signed in, but if you are with a MS account, try disabling one drive, and applying your settings, then re-syncing. A brief search yielded this.

How to Completely Disable OneDrive - Microsoft Community

mrpumpkin, Aug 7, 2015
  10. hawkman Win User
    The default is now Edge, not IE
    Controlpanel>Programes>Turn features on/off> Enable IE11.> reset IE as your default
    Login with either MS or local DOES NOT make any difference

Roy

hawkman, Aug 7, 2015
  11. mrpumpkin Win User
    So why doesn't the default app in settings work? It works for me, but evidently it did not work for him. I was going to further suggest trying it through the IE 11 settings under the "programs" tab. Your suggestion is probably better.

Having dealt with win 10 settings for awhile, why does the settings "app" not work as advertised (not save settings). I have had problems with different things in the win 10 settings not sticking until going to the native application, or control panel/device manager?

mrpumpkin, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Well everybody, many thanks for your suggestions, all of which I have tried, but I can't get anywhere with this problem.
    IE11 is most definitely set as my default browser (I set it once again!), One Drive is disabled and always was.
    I received an email containing a link to this thread, I clicked on it and the same problem was evident!
    Default Browser [​IMG]

Default Browser [​IMG]

PeterAstle, Aug 8, 2015
  13. neomatter Win User

Default Browser

Did you upgrade Win10 or did a clean install?

I seem to see this issue more persistent with upgrades to Win10 (or maybe I'm incorrect).

I suspect the upgrade caused a bug to show up unexpectedly. I did a clean install and I have not encountered this issue yet. I use IE11 as default through Settings and it seems to stick fine. Same if I changed it to Chrome. Knock on wood, everything is behaving for me at the moment and that is using it on both my Desktop and SP2 with clean installs.

neomatter, Aug 8, 2015
  14. It was an upgrade from Widows 8.1.
    Maybe that's the problem, but I may have to live with it for the moment as I don't have the time for a clean install.

PeterAstle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Default Browser

1. Default Browser - Similar Threads - Default Browser

2. How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?: My wife goes to "https://silversneakers.com" and my router blocks with Threat Prevention and says "ET POLICY TLSv1.0 Used in Session". This is on her Surface Pro 9 tablet running latest Windows 11 version and Edge version. How can I tell Edge or Windows or Local Policy or...
  3. How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?: My wife goes to "https://silversneakers.com" and my router blocks with Threat Prevention and says "ET POLICY TLSv1.0 Used in Session". This is on her Surface Pro 9 tablet running latest Windows 11 version and Edge version. How can I tell Edge or Windows or Local Policy or...
  4. I need to use IE compatibility, however I cannot see it through Settings > Default browser...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to use IE compatibility, however I cannot see it through Settings > Default browser...: I'm currently using Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.3447, also Edge Version 124.0.2478.51 Official build 64-bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-use-ie-compatibility-however-i-cannot/d20a5544-6bd2-40fa-b4ca-1e16d56f893e
  5. I need to use IE compatibility, however I cannot see it through Settings > Default browser...

I need to use IE compatibility, however I cannot see it through Settings > Default browser...: I'm currently using Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.3447, also Edge Version 124.0.2478.51 Official build 64-bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-use-ie-compatibility-however-i-cannot/d20a5544-6bd2-40fa-b4ca-1e16d56f893e
  6. How do I change my default browser in Outlook 365?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change my default browser in Outlook 365?: I want all Outlook 365 email links to take me to my default browser -- whether that be Chrome or Firefox. NOT Microsoft Edge.Found a lot of suggestions with Google.But have yet to find the magic bullet i.e., solution short of uninstalling Microsoft Edge....
  7. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...: Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the alternative browser but still, it opens Edge browser....
  8. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...: Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the alternative browser but still, it opens Edge browser....
  9. Links from discord and facebook messenger open opera not edge. Edge is my default browser.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Links from discord and facebook messenger open opera not edge. Edge is my default browser.: How do i make all links shared in apps open Edge again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/links-from-discord-and-facebook-messenger-open/55c31bf6-e32a-4788-a767-0a741f403e66
  10. Links from discord and facebook messenger open opera not edge. Edge is my default browser.

Links from discord and facebook messenger open opera not edge. Edge is my default browser.: How do i make all links shared in apps open Edge again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/links-from-discord-and-facebook-messenger-open/55c31bf6-e32a-4788-a767-0a741f403e66